Benelli Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning Guys,

My new RS has just been delivered:clap: unfortunately it's raining :( so i'm sitting here waiting for my first ride. Can't wait.

One piece of advice needed already please. When i first turn the ignition on the orange K-light on the right above the tach is lit, and the red LED by at the top of the rev range is flashing accompanied by the word oil on the tach display. Oil level is fine and both lights go out as soon as the bike is started. Is this normal or something i should be concerned about?

Great start from my supplying dealer, i have an unstamped guarantee and PDI sheet in my booklet and the CD Rom owners manual for a TNT!!! Anyone know where i can download the correct manual? (Yes Lloyd you told me this would happen............. only myself to blame, should have gone to RedDog!)

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I also have just taken delivery of my Tornado (none RS). It came about 2pm yesterday and I managed to get out at 7pm and do about 20 miles before failing light and the threat of heavy rain forced me back home.:(

I to wondered about the oil and K light, but remembered seeing pictures of other Benellis clocks showing OIL. :confused:

The manual for your bike can be downloaded from http://www.benelliuk.co.uk/ just follow the 'Download' link at top of the page. :)

In my hurry to get out I started the bike, put it into gear and the bike stalled....:confused: I forgot to put the side stand up .. :doh:

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Cheers for that Stephen.

So your TRE is doing exactly the same when you switch the ignition on? :confused:
:) Yes, it seems so.. :) I've sent you a PM (Private Number) with my number if you want to talk newbie stuff / share experiences.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Both of you: congratulations with your great new bike!
Don't worry.The display showing OIL and the flashing LED are perfectly normal when the ignition is turned on. As long as it disappears when the engine is running ;)

Regards,

Emilio

·
5,934 Posts
When i first turn the ignition on the orange K-light on the right above the tach is lit, and the red LED by at the top of the rev range is flashing accompanied by the word oil on the tach display.
I assume the engine is not running?
Then,
- the 'K' light (ECU fault) should be on - once running this should go out. If it doesn't, then the ECU has logged a fault - somewhere. You'll need the Axione tool or Tuneboy to find out what caused it.
- if "OIL" is on the display with the red LED flashing, your oil pressure is low. Which is what you would expect when the engine isn't running. If it IS running, it won't for long! (maybe) That could be due to the oil pressure sensor connection being dodgy, or it really IS telling the truth. I'd advise stopping the engine - NOW.

Don't let a little rain stop you! Rain or shine, these babies are pure pleasure.
Go have some fun.
cheers
Errol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys.

No Errol, lights are on before engine is running and go out as soon as it starts (which it didn't after 6 miles when i stopped for fuel, battery was dead!!!). Other than that no issues, just wanted to make sure. You're right about the rain but on a new bike with new tyres i am just too much of a pussy to go out and play in the wet stuff!

Cheers for the reassurance Johny and Fasolo.

But guys O.M.G. What a hoot. Even at a very frustrating 5000 RPM my first 50 miles had me grinning from ear to ear. What a fantastic noise, not sure i'll bother with a pipe. Can't wait till i can open her up properly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Battery problems

Hi,i,ve had my benelli rs for about 6 months and i have to keep charging my battery up every couple of weeks.I think an atomiser would probably help sort the weak charging system out.Otherwise the bike is great apart from me only getting about 110 miles before i have to fill her up again!
Enjoy your bike and it sounds even sweeter with a straight through titanium beowulf race pipe on!
Laters,Mark aka bennelliboy....:lager:

·
1,841 Posts
Battery ?

Hello, I have had no problem with my RS with starting.(The alternator is Japanese) If you have an alarm fitted then an Optimate or similar would be a good idea. The most likely cause of flat battery is the battery is Knackered ! Remember the bikes were made in 2004 so there is a good chance the batt has givern up by now.
I would suggest getting the batt tested at a battery shop and if it is faulty tell your supplier to get you a new one.
Good luck with your new toy....:ele:

·
1,231 Posts
Battery

Wasn't it that an R-1 Battery was the same? I seem to remember that awhile back. There is a post with the Yuasa numbre on it that says what battery it is.

·
5,934 Posts
The batteries that fit the Tornado are :-

1. YT12B-BS 153x70x130 (original)
2. PowerSonic PTZ14S 150x87x110 (145 CCA)
3. Yuasa YTZ12S 150x87x110 (210CCA)
4. Yuasa YTZ14S 150x87x110 (230CCA)
5. Dekka ETX9BS - replacement for YTZ14 (I'm using this one)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Battery

Taz told me that they put a new battery in and rechecked it when i took it back but it still loses charge to quickly.Maybe i need to get a super duper battery like yours colin and an optimiser to boot!
:rolling:

·
1,841 Posts
super battery

Yes I must be lucky with batteries ! My tl1000 bat lasted about 6 months but I got a new one out of dealer, this one lasted about 12 months,then i bought a £20 cheapest I could find which has been on for nearly 8 years and on the rare occasion I do put a charger on it it is always nearly fully charged !

·
Registered
138 Posts
Battery

I bought a Sprint gel filled battery for the Tornado, they come with a two year (unheard of in the world of batteries) warranty and are quite cheap.... :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is there room?

The batteries that fit the Tornado are :-

1. YT12B-BS 153x70x130 (original)
2. PowerSonic PTZ14S 150x87x110 (145 CCA)
3. Yuasa YTZ12S 150x87x110 (210CCA)
4. Yuasa YTZ14S 150x87x110 (230CCA)
5. Dekka ETX9BS - replacement for YTZ14 (I'm using this one)
Hi Engenia

Is there enough room to fit the Yuasa battery without making mods? The battery compartment is quite tight.

Thanks
Regards
QldBilly

·
5,934 Posts
Is there enough room to fit the Yuasa battery without making mods? The battery compartment is quite tight.
I've installed a Dekka ETX9BS, but it's the same size as the Yuasa YTZ14S - 150x85x110.

No mods required. It is a tight fit, but I've had the tail off & on twice now, since fitting it, and there's no issues. (Except for losing the pozzy for my trip book)

I did mount it with the terminals closest to the radiator though. That stopped the inside of the tail from rubbing on the lugs.

I took some pix this morning and will put them up on my website tonight for all to see.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts