Benelli Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, after drooling over these bikes for years, i finnally convinced the wife to let me have one. 18 miles form the dealer ship it popped a core pug and pissed its water everywhere. I am to put it mildly 'dishartened'......

Is this what I can expect from this machine, or this sort of thing a one off?

Please help!..... If its going to do this sort of thing again, I tell them to keep it!

regards
john

(ps best 18miles of my life though!!!!!!!)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
m&s Newcastle... I cant complain with their service, within 10 minutes of it hapening I was on 06 cbr 600, and mine was on it way to the workshop.

Its a 54 plate, so should be still be under maufacturers warranty.

Have you heard of this happening before?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're right about it still being under warranty John so you should have no problems on the cash front. The Tre has it's niggles and a read of some of the threads here will let you know what to expect .... but with a good bit of luck you'll avoid them;) I bought mine in January, so the weather has played its part in keeping it off the road but I've also had my fair share of problems too. (It's still off the road today).
I haven't heard of your problem happening before so I think you may just be lucky (if that's the right word to use) as it isn't one of the more common problems. With any luck the dealer will have sorted most of the niggles out before they got you on the road.
How many miles has she done and do you know if any other warranty work has been done before you got it?

Al

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have had my fair share too, but persevere (spl?) as once it is running fine boy is it worth it!

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cheers folks!

bikes a 54 plate (oct 2004) 2800miles on it. I did know anything about them until tonight so i didnt know to ask about any recall work etc.

Appartently they have mild steel core plugs. I know steel and alloy react together, and thats why most other bikes have brass ones. I going to get the dealer to fit ducati brass ones and see what happens! (theyve got a nice mv augusta in which i love almost as much the benelli) I love the bike, it was far more fun to ride than my R1, but i dont wont somthing thats going to be a constantly breaking down.

It didnt even get me the 20 miles home from the showroom, which I have to admitt, is sign to leave it there...

regards
john

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
stick it out

Riding is about passion mate. You obviously have the passion for the bike. Owning one is something not many will do so persevere. There may be a couple small problems on the way but stick them out. There is NO other bike on the planet with the stunning looks, amazing sound, and wow factor as what you are on. Also, it seems the dealer you are with is ready to help you should anything go arry. >D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: stick it out

I've had my fair share of problems with mine and no doubt there will be more to come, but as with owning anything mechanical, things can and will go wrong. As JR has already said, you are climbing aboard a bike that will turn heads everywhere you go and the noise really is fantastic once it's opened up. Also, the people at KJM have been really looking after me and my bike, so should things go wrong again I'll know that as least I don't have to take my bike to some crappy dealer who doesn't give a monkey's hoot about me or the bike.
I can't wait to get mine back on the road so that I can try out my new helmet cam:lol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: stick it out

OOh same problem as mine. Core plug popped at 30 miles from new.
Gutted wasn't the word. Luckily I was 2 minutes from the dealer, who ordered one replaced it and the Bike was back to me in 24 hours.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Duff Core Plugs

Hi John,

The original core plugs seemed to be made of steel and corroded through quite quickly.:eek

The large hole is where I drilled to remove it but you can see where it has corroded through nearer the side.

There were a few reports of this happening a while back but I guess most of the problem ones have been replaced by now so you don't hear of it too often.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Duff Core Plugs

They must have changed them for later years, my '05 Tre doesn't have the same plugs. Not sure what they're made of though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts