Benelli Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm writing this mostly for those people who are considering a TNT. :D

"Downunder" here in Melbourne (Australia) it's a 38c degree day and I've just got back from a test ride on a TNT. I've been saving for a year and the bike is now within grasp so it was time for a ride. The boys at A1 in Ringwood said any time I was ready and unfortunately for me I picked the hottest day of the week. But who cares when your riding the hottest bike in town !

I currently ride an Aprilia Falco and it's interesting to compare the two. The first thing I noticed was how comfortable it was when I first got on the TNT. Everything just seemed to be exactly where I needed it. I didn't have to go hunting for the rear brake pedal, or fumble around looking for the indicators. Every control was right where I expected it without having to look. It felt very natural and a little un-nerving that I didn't have to go through the "where is the ..." syndrome I've often encountered when riding a different bikes.

The Falco's not a full on sports bike but you are still quite forward and the dash and fairings are in front of you giving you good wind protection. Obviously with the TNT you don't get this but you do get a view, and what a view ! It practically feels like there is nothing between you and the road ahead. Certainly it discourages instrument watching although this could be a bad thing with this much power on tap ;-)

Instruments wise there are minor things that I noticed. The TNT doesn't have a clock, important when I'm trying to get to work on time as I need to know how late I am so I can figure out an appropriate excuse for the boss. The Falco on the other hand doesn't have a air temperature gage, something I've always wished for. With the TNT I now know it's stinking hot and have the digits to prove it. I'd also have to say that the speedo readout was smaller than I expected, about 2/3rds the size of the Falco's. This took a short time to get used to because it's not as in your face as the Falco's.

Taking off the TNT's power is simply instantaneous and a little frightening at first. The Falco really doesn't like to be under 4,000 revs and there's a small lag when hitting the power. The TNT's a lot better in both departments. Revs can be lower and the power is practically instantaneous. 15 minutes later and just getting to the bottom of some windy hill roads (Mountain H/W) I was starting to get a feel for the power. Woot !

If you know this stretch of road you will know it's not heavily used, has just been relaid and contains some lovely twisties. So the TNT got a good work out. Because this is a test ride and I don't own the bike I was being careful. The Falco's good in the twisties as anyone who has ridden one will tell you. The TNT is also good although sitting more upright and on it for the first time I wasn't as keen to go as hot as I might on the Falco. What did I notice the most was how easy it was to flick the TNT from side to side. Stand it up, or throw it into a corner, nothing was hard or had to be pushed. Again the power was there, luckily the cops where off breath testing the other half of Melbourne who were up in the Yarra Valley wine region doing the annual grape grazing weekend. So when I saw an empty stretch of road .... ! Woot !

Another point that caught my attention was the sound of the TNT. My Falco has a set of SL Carbon race pipes on it and as I've been told by rider after rider - it has an awesome sound. The TNT I rode sounds much more like what I've come to expect from a Triumph Speed Triple. There's a distinctive sound that seems to come from triples and the TNT has it. A good pipe and it's pure magic. Not as loud as the Falco, but still distinctively wicked in it's own way.

I had the TNT for over an hour. Not long, but enough to know I like it. So the answer is "yes" I'm going to buy one. Just another month or so and I'll have the cash. I'll be getting a Cafe Racer which I feel even more comfortable on. It's the nice compromise between the sports stance of the Falco and the upright stance of the TNT and TNT Sport. I can't get a test ride on the Cafe Racer, but if any of you reading this have one, live in Melbourne and wouldn't mind me taking it for a ride for 30 minutes, please let me know :bow: :bow: :bow:

Finally, does anyone know if there is a regular meeting point for Benelli riders in Melbourne ?

ciao
Derek

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hi Derek,

Bought a TnT Sport myself just recently from A1. I'm in Ringwood not far from A1.

We should get an owners group going in Melbourne if there are enough of us.

FYI there is a clock on the TnT. You just have to cycle through the display options via the starter button (odd way to do it I know).

Cheers!

Mike

·
3,081 Posts
Comparision

Let us know what you think of the difference between the CR and TnT, as a couple peeps over here in WA would like a CR, Good luck and post piccy's when it arrives :) Oh what do A1 want for the RS they have in the showroom? I know its the last new RS in OZ out of the 8 that came in.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mikew124 - didn't know that. Was spending too much time having fun.

AussieRS - I take it RS is the sports version. A1 must have sold it as they don't have one in there. I did see one at Prestigue motorcycles in Brisbane a couple of weeks ago though.

I won't have my hands on a Cafe Racer for at least a month and a half so as long as they don't mind waiting that long for a review ;-)

I put a post out about owners in Melbourne and see how many post to it.

:ele: :ele: :ele:

·
903 Posts
Good choice!

:p

:hiya: drekka, welcome to the Forum. May I say that you have definately chosen the right TNT (in my opinion). I have ridden the Cafe Racer and it's madder than a mad thing!:rolling: Once you have got used to her you will find that she handles well, probably better than your Aprilia.

We look forward to hearing great things from you soon and don't forget the pictures!

·
463 Posts
Welcome Drekka , you won't regret it , had mine for two years now and in my opinion nothing comes close.:bow: :bow: :) :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts