Benelli Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI.

A recent track day caused me to come to grips with the ground clearance on the left side of my Tornado. ;)

hometown.aol.com/calducat...li/KSD.JPG

I would suggest that anyone that is a spirited track day rider remove the kickstand assembly with the mount bracket for safety reasons. Unfortunately this will not help prevent you from touching the fairing down.

I am going to play with ride height in the rear and front at the next track day and see if I can gain some ground clearance without compromising the chassis setup.

Also check your chain during the track day for being loose. I'm not sure if it is just my bike, but the chain stretched quite a bit more than I am use to seeing in just one day.

David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
:hat

Wow thats pretty amazing, :b I am an x racer and have used my Benelli "in anger" at Misano over two days, Knee down at almost every corner without grinding out the sidestand. The bike is high to begin with, are you sure that the ridehight is ok? I knackered a set of tyres (Dunlop 207RR's) over that weekend and apart from my knee (Oh and nearly all of me on a spirited exit of the chicane!:lol :lol ) I never touched down anything else.

There are also other factors to take into consideration, do you get off the bike when cornering, ect. What tyres where you using, slicks? if not, I'm impressed!:D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm running Dunlop 209 DOT Race Tires. Medium front and rear compounds. I'm a semi-retired local club racer with the AFM here in Northern California.

I had a lot of fun riding the Tornado at a recent track day at Infineon Raceway. I was having so much fun that I was literally burning my leather knee pucks in the corners and having friends behind me smelling the odor and wondering if the Benelli was going to blow. :lol

There are several corners on the track that I really go good through. A couple of left handers in particular. I was really hoping that with the high ride height of the Tornado that it would have plenty of ground clearance for me, but I was wrong. :)

My last race bike was a 86 GSXR 750 with increased ride height, different forks, swing arm linkage, etc. I use to grind a hole through the left fairing and grind down the left case cover and lower bolt heads when riding at race pace. Unlike the Tornado, this never upset the chassis while leaned over. The kickstand bracket is a heavy casting and lifted the rear wheel up off the ground slightly when touching down. Just a little pucker factor. :eek

Since you raced, what do you think of the stock front fork rebound settings? I nearly have the adjusters at full max in and I am still not happy with how the forks react. The stock rear shock works really well for my style of riding. I wonder if the LE rear link would fit and if it provides a more linear suspenion movement curve.

I'm also not fond of the stock folding up foot pegs. I have raced with solid mount foot pegs for the last 7 years. I'm probably going to make up some solid mount pegs to try out at the next track day.

I would love to race my Tornado, if it wasn't for the fact I would hate to crash it. ;)

David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've ground down my belly pan on the right hand side on track days, but it's definately more to do with being a not-very-good-at-hanging-off-lardy-bloater going around tight-right-hand-corners-at-the-bottom-of-hills-with-the-suspension-fully-compressed rather than being a track god :D

Strangely, never had a problem on the left hand side.

I had my suspension twiddled for me by one of the professional set up guys at a track day (there is a much earlier thread in here somewhere with the settings I ended up with at Rockingham) but he too ran out of adjustment on the standard forks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:hat
I agree with you both, It might be worth getting the forks revalved and some slightly stiffer springs fitted to inprove them.
This would be a cheap upgrade and should provide some improvement, otherwise its replace them with Ohlin's or similar which would cost a packet! :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts