Benelli Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, my mate (Well, if you can call a customer a mate:doh: ) has now taken delivery of his nice 'n' shiney New (As New as you can get them anyway) Tornado Tre (In the nice colour !) and one thing that suprised me was that DK, where he purchased the bike from, have told him to allways use the red 'Kill Switch" button to stop the bike and never use the Ignition Key to stop the bike because it can cause something to burn a wiring loom out ? I don't profess to know much about the technical side of the Tornado but that sounds like a load of CRAP to me, especially as I'm fairly sure that when I originally had my bike from KJM they told me the opposite and to Only use the Ignition Key to turn the bike off !

Any views ?

:clap:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
319 Posts
For my point of view, it doesn´t make a difference. I always turned off all my bikes with the key. Dunno why the kill switch should cause a prob.

·
349 Posts
Nearly all the time i switch off with the key.There has been that odd time especially on the TNT when i have wanted to speak to someone quickly and rather than look a prat trying to reach the ign. key with your gloves on i have used the kill swich.I dont think i would want to use it all the time,it just doesnt feel right somehow.
Did i read somewhere that it is a good idea to flick the kill swich when you have stopped the bike to help save the battery? Zebo:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Key or Switch?

I have just picked up a Tre-K and spoke with a guy called Chis at KJM. He mentioned this proceedure to me as something to ensure. He told me that you must use always have the kill switch to off when the bike is turned off at the key. I didn't bother to ask the full reason , I just assumed it was something to do with maybe the battery running flat!!. Next time I pock round KJM I will ask for the full answer.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
My point of view is use the key, the emergency switch is for an EMERGENCY

Colin, where did that quote come from? I seem to remember about this in an earlier thread. Is it something to do with confusing the ecu by turning off using the kill switch, with everything else on, so the mixture would be wrong when you start up next time? Or maybe I've just talked a load of crap...:D

cheers,
Ian

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
1,841 Posts
When the ignition is turned off there is power available to log data to ecu,run the fans,run the fuel pump etc for a short while. The kill switch i would assume will cut power immediatly and therefore may confuse ecu,cause overheat by fans not running and poss cause poor start by lack of fuel pressure.(this is what is basically described in the manual)
Personally I cant think what may be drawing current that opening the kill switch will prevent ? But I would be interested to hear what the reason is that it may need to be left in open position ?

G

·
pust my button

Hi Chaps

My info came from Italy whist DK's top man (WASH) was on the fone sortin something else for me. (and yes we were talking to a tecnical dude in Benelli not just some random italian person)
I was told to stop the engine on the stop /kill/emergancy/red (wot ever you want to call it) switch and leave the switch in until you next want to start the bike. It stopped all my battery troubles. Never had any start mixture troubles provided i let the bike go thro its start up procedure. (i do sometimes get a bit keen to ride my nelli in that 18 seconds of sun shine we call a summer and press start to soon). The wife says i always seem to go off to soon, :confused: don't know wot she means.

·
1,841 Posts
Hi Pony, I have only ever turned off with the key and have had no battery problems. when i tried with the kill switch off it holds off the fuel pump and stepper motor and clocks.As the manual says that it keeps power on to put info to memory,it may be safer to turn off with key then use kill switch.
Maybe the relay that holds power on for a while can fail to turn off the power and this could be a cause of flat battery etc ?? Still if using the kill switch has not caused any probs then its prob ok anyway.....:)
colin...

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
I always use the kill switch. I have accidentally left the ignition on and the battery has died with the kill switch off.
So what I think through the Italian translation is use the ignition key to kill all power to the bike. The kill switch (emergency) will only switch engine and some power modules off.
my 1/2 cents worth which is not a lot due to poor economy.

Happy new year to all my Benelli Friends. Yes that means all of you.
Regards
Paul

·
3,085 Posts
mmm

i use the kill switch but either doesnt really matter to stop the motor, i think what actually matters is to have the kill button in when the bike is off, I had to have the bike on a trickle charger if i left the button out, push it in when shes parked up, especially for a while and now I hardly bother with the trickle charger, what is the most important is fitting a decent quality battery, a Gel or jap made Yuasa, etc, I run a DEKA from the US, it "just" fits but the difference it made was amazing, only reason i didnt get the big CCA rated jap Yuasa is that there wasnt any ones in Oz, A mate with a EVO II MV f4 750 fitted a "yacht" gel battery, solved all his starting / flat battery issues.

·
Unofficial Factory Tester
166 Posts
Got a Yuasa through "battery world", not cheap though.

Agree with ARS: Kill Switch "in" when bike in garage saves having to use the trickle charger.

Again it depends on how frequently you ride.

Sometimes I don't ride for weeks and I find the kill swith "engaged" has helped, then again it could be the Yuasa.

Cheers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts