Benelli Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone interested in a track evening / morning / day at Knockhill this year?

I'm up for it if anyone wants to join me.

Neil

·
Registered
512 Posts
Are these suitable for fairly inexperienced riders such as myself? I want to give it a go but must admit its a bit of a daunting propsect. I also would be keen to avoid taking the Nelli out on a track for fear of binning it...are there other bikes available? A bit cowardly I know but would be gutted if I smash up my pride and joy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Are these suitable for fairly inexperienced riders such as myself? I want to give it a go but must admit its a bit of a daunting propsect. I also would be keen to avoid taking the Nelli out on a track for fear of binning it...are there other bikes available? A bit cowardly I know but would be gutted if I smash up my pride and joy.
Check out this link
http://www.focusedevents.com/hire_bikes.asp
I'm just like you, fancy a first track day, but don't want to bin the nelli. I'm not sure where you stand insurance wise on their bikes though, could be very expensive if you have to pay for any loss/damage!!!
These guys suggest there is just an excess, but they're only providing a guide to track days, so you'd have to check out the individual company's policies.
http://www.uktrackdays.co.uk/index.php?page=/vehiclehire.php

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dont worry, the track days have different groups, one of which is a novice group. It is a daunting prospect. A lot of the people in the novice group will be equally as daunted and probably never been on the track before either! Once you have been round a few times you will absolutely love it and wish you had done it earlier. You have to use your own bike. Your Nelli will be fine, just take your time and enjoy it. It's not a race afterall!
The track is very sticky, more so than the road. Go for it :clap:

·
Registered
512 Posts
I'm def up for it.

Do you get plenty guidance from instructors or is it a case of safety briefing and off you go?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm def up for it.

Do you get plenty guidance from instructors or is it a case of safety briefing and off you go?
I have only been on the evening track sessions, usually 6-8pm. You simply get a safety brief then off you go. I think on the actual "day" sessions you get tuition but it is more expensive. The eve sessions are approx £45 which is pretty good value. Best idea is to go at the back of the novice group which will give you a few laps before someone probably passes you. Just ride the track, get your bearings and the speed will follow. Dont worry about who's behind you, focus ahead. If anyone wants past it is up to them to make a clean pass. On the track evenings / days etc, it is quite strict in terms of no passing on corners etc. You will really enjoy it :clap:

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"Bump"

C'mon have we any takers?

Spaces fill up fast. Friday August 22nd 6-8pm is free for all classes as it stands. £45 to rip your Nelli round Knockhill - Bargain!

:D

·
Still trying!
490 Posts
Neil - I should be ok for this ... when are you booking? Mike

·
Still trying!
490 Posts
I really wouldn't worry about smashing up the bike - it is an awful lot safer than the road.. you only go as fast as you want to. Also check out the track days organised by Ducati Glasgow ... folk just don't take chances with expensive road bikes. Meanwhile lots of fun to be had at East Fortune next weekend .. if anyone is down spectating do drop by and say hullo - early stocks Yamaha RD 350 No 69. Usually running near the end of the field but you never know -- I might be feeling brave! Mike:D

·
Registered
512 Posts
Let me know when you want to book up Mike, and we can get it sorted out. Try to get it booked within the next couple of days if you like? Neil

Gents, keep me posted on future events but I cannot manage 22nd August. Got the entire family arriving for the weekend so wouldn't go down to well if I b*gger off for the evening to knockhill.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is a track evening in a weeks time. Monday 21st July 6-8pm. Advanced group only. Mike would you be comfortable with this? Let me know otherwise we can get the August date booked up.
Neil

·
Still trying!
490 Posts
Neil - I'll call Ducati in Glasgow tomorrow and check availability. Other wise we can try August .. Mike

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Neil - I'll call Ducati in Glasgow tomorrow and check availability. Other wise we can try August .. Mike
Hi Mike
I sent them an email today in fact as they are closed on Mondays. I will probably book the Ducati Glasgow one for the 25th with you. I will book up tomorrow availability permitting. Brilliant, thanks.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok folks, well I took part in the track evening tonight on my own. Weather was beautiful, very warm though.

Kicked the living shit out of the RS, performed faultlessely.

Got a 60.2 sec lap on the laptimer, was trying for better but called it a day after an hour and a half - was bushed. Traffic was heavy and you are not meant to pass close in corners which put a damper on things ;)

Absolutely no problems at all with the bike. Gears not as positive as I would have liked. 2nd gear took a bit of a stomp to get it in on the downshift, missed a couple of gears. Slipper clutch maybe not slippy enough as the back end was a bit loose on the way into the hairpin!

Bike came with BT016's... not keen on them.. had a few slides which were quite instant. Getting a set of 2ct's for it.. will steer a bit better on them too. never had a slide on them like i did on the Bridgestones.

Anyway had a laugh and that's what it's all about... oh and by the way.. was faster than a bunch of 1098's and 1L modern stuff too :rolling:
Tyres a bit more worn, pics going in gallery :lager:

·
Still trying!
490 Posts
Hi Neil,

Sounds brilliant. I survived East Fortune without blowing up last weekend .. unusual for me :clap: Will now have a think about a track day on the Nelli .. actually have been on the web checking out race fairings etc earlier today... tempted to race it but will need to get a spare set of wheels for wets I suppose. Not sure how a standard Tornado will go against assorted Fireblades and such like .. but not trying to win so probably won't matter. 60.2 round Knockhill is a lot quicker than I managed on the RD .. well done. I guess I'll need to change the standard Dunlops too .. will need to start saving.

Will be in touch about the next trackday.

Cheers. Mike

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good to hear from you Mike and glad you got on ok at East Fortune.. Racing the Benelli would be a laugh. For sure the quick bikes destroy the bike up the straights. I got passed like I was standing still by a guy on a race prepped 10R, like by 30mph faster!
I have a 15T front sprocket which I have not got round to fitting yet but I wish I had.. a wee bit more punch out of the hairpin etc.
Cheers :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts