Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a feeling on my Tre that the headstock is loose when hitting bumps or accelerating hard over ripples etc.Everything i can think of has been checked apart from taking the headstock bearings out and checking for plenty of grease.I have a feeling that i have only really noticed it since i fitted my adjustable Gilles Handlebars,but surely that cannot be!Has anyone alse had this problem?Looking on Enginas website, back in July 2006 it said that there was a "knocking from front" article coming soon,but nothing yet.:)

·
northern member
2004 Tornado
623 Posts
Knocking from Front

I had a similar problem with my TRE Russ @ bennetts sorted it out it was the front engine mount, I was convinced it was the head bearings too:doh:

Just try and see it may save you some expense!!

Pops

·
5,929 Posts
The great sage JohnnyO had discussed this one ages ago, so its not unheard of.

Many of you probably don't know of him, but he was the original fount of all Tornado knowledge. No longer works for the Aussie importer, unfortunately.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hail the mighty Johnny O:bow: :bow:

Done loads:rolleyes: Top engine mount comes loose and gives the impression that the head bearings are falling out......

Hope it sorts the problem:clap:

·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
knocking from front

Cheers chaps,
I brought a customers car into work this morning so i will check the engine mounts tomorrow and let you all know.Thanks again.:clap:

·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
knocking from front

Pops and Rusty you were spot on,the engine bolt was looser than a loose thing.And i have got my bike back now!I have a customers Rs in at the moment for repairs and on checking his engine bolt that needed tightening as well.
Thanks fellas.
By the way i would certainly recommend putting Gilles adjustable clip ons on the bike if like me you found the original position a bit too racy for everyday use especially when 2 up.I find it far nicer in town and i have modified the lock stops to give me a more normal steering lock now.:)

·
Mid Life Crisis
107 Posts
Gilles bars

Zebo,
are the Gilles bars specific items made for he Benelli or just universal items....can you enlighten us as to the part number etc ??

Dave H

·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Co. i used was Motorcycle Road and Race Tel;01932 259881.Ask for Variobar with smaller risers for the Benelli fitment.Diameter i think is 51mm.:)

·
1,841 Posts
Brake judder

I have been getting brake judder recently, you could see the forks flexing !
I checked the head races and discs etc but could not find a fault. On my trip to Nurburgring the other day it got bad, (I almost crashed it on the track :mad: ) so yesterday I took the fairings off and I found the cause to be the front top engine mounting bracket bolt loose !! I would recommend everyone checks this as after reading this old thread it is obviously a problem and it must come loose over time. The bolt is the 14mm size about 50mm long behind the steering stops, you can get to it with out removing anything.
Colin...

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I have modified the lock stops to give me a more normal steering lock now.:)
Hi Zebo,

Can you give more details of the steering lock mod please. :)

·
1,841 Posts
Hi Errol, Yes mine has a nyloc nut and it must have been tight before as the problem only started recently. The bolt goes through the two plates that act as the steering stops, but there is nothing between so the plates can close together. It needs a brace between the plates, iyswim..

·
5,929 Posts
there is nothing between so the plates can close together. It needs a brace between the plates
You're dead right. The plates are only supported at the top, so they will move, and eventually loosen the nut.
I'll be putting a bracing tube between those plates, to allow the bolt to be tightened properly. I'll let you know the dimensions, so that you can do the same. Each bike will probably be slightly different, but it will be a starting point.

·
1,841 Posts
Just a little bit more on my judder saga !
I met Uncle Lloyd last night and he was on a TNT when I was talking about my judder we looked at the TNT and we saw the rear head mount, I did think the front head support was a bit on the inadequate side but stupidly did not realise ther are rear head mounts as well !:doh:
Anyway I removed the fairings and rad ducts and sure enough the left side was very loose ! Tightened both.
Thinking back now, I always though i heard a Knock as i rode other sleeping policemen near my house so I think they probably were loose all the time and were just getting worse as time went on.
I would rec checking above !! It is nice having good brakes again.:p

·
5,929 Posts
Colin, a drawing of my Engine Mount Brace follows.

It is made from black steel pipe with a 2.5mm wall thickness.
The flattened section is top most when fitted.
Your dimensions may be slightly different, but it will be a start.
I measured the length at 46.2mm, but settled on 46.0mm to make it easier to fit.
This should solve the problem of the top engine mount bolt loosening. Mine hasn't done it yet, but I'm fitting it anyway.
cheers
Errol

·
Unofficial Factory Tester
166 Posts
Variobar

The Co. i used was Motorcycle Road and Race Tel;01932 259881.Ask for Variobar with smaller risers for the Benelli fitment.Diameter i think is 51mm.:)
Hi Zebo,

Greetings from Sydney.

Can you post some pics of the handlebar riser mod?

Thanks

·
1,841 Posts
Thanks Errol, :bow: I will make a similar one when i get time,as I said with after thought I believe my rear head mounts especially the left one were probably loose all the time and the movement was gradually loosening the others.
Strangely the loose left rearhead mount bolt was marked with the blue paint to confirm it had been tightened, but it was loose.
If you get a chance I would check them, but as your middle front is ok they are prob tight. As mine has been shaking around I probably need the middle brace more than you !
Its surprising how such a little bit of play caused so much shake ! You could see the forks move about 50-60mm front to back !! I should of videoed it !!!:doh: It could have been:bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Now you know what they mean when they say the engine is a stressed member. As soon as it isnt stressed all the rigidity goes and the resonent frequency of the frame gets realy short.

My bikes knocking turned out to be the ball joint at the bottom of the rear shock. The 1mm slack movement at the bottom of the shock translated into 10mm of free play at the wheel. Same sort of thing as yours, but even that smaller mount of movement was clearly noticable.

Aarron

·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All i did was remove the allen headed bolts and grind them down until i just had enough material to do them up.I now have a perfectly adequate steering lock and the bars still miss hitting the tank because they are now 1inch or so higher.When i learn how to post pictures i will let you see the mods!:doh:
Zebo.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
All i did was remove the allen headed bolts and grind them down until i just had enough material to do them up.I now have a perfectly adequate steering lock and the bars still miss hitting the tank because they are now 1inch or so higher.When i learn how to post pictures i will let you see the mods!:doh:
Zebo.
Thanks. Look forward to pics of the mods:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts