Benelli Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought this lathe. Many years ago served my time as centre lathe turner. Always thought a lathe would be handy to have in garage. As expected it needed stripping down and reassembling correctly after a bit of filing etc all is good. Nothing too difficult. I did look on ebay but second hand ones without milling attachment but same spec. (most new ones for sale are same but badged different brands) were going for much more than I paid for this so no brainer getting a new one. Looking forward to using it but waiting for cutting tools. Anyone else have one? Light Product Motor vehicle Font Gas
Engineering Gas Machine tool Machine Electric blue

·
Registered
900 Posts
Looks a useful machine I have never seen the milling end done like that, can the head be turned parallel the the main Chuck to act like a toolpost grinder? . I have a boxford lathe and a dore westbury milling machine and if I had more room would have gone larger.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it can be mounted as you describe, it moves in X and Y but Z using cross and top slide. movement (height) is done on mounting slots so fixed when nuts are tightened. As a milling machine I think it's use is limited but the machine was much cheaper than the used ones without milling attachment on ebay. Prices for used ones are crazy. For me thread cutting was a must have.

·
6,029 Posts
Looks a useful machine I have never seen the milling end done like that, can the head be turned parallel the the main Chuck to act like a toolpost grinder? . I have a boxford lathe and a dore westbury milling machine and if I had more room would have gone larger.
The bigger/heavier the better.
I feel your pain though. I had the exact same problem. The mill I bought was the biggest I could fit that wasn't a toy. I wish it was 3x heavier.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Just bought this lathe. Many years ago served my time as centre lathe turner. Always thought a lathe would be handy to have in garage. As expected it needed stripping down and reassembling correctly after a bit of filing etc all is good. Nothing too difficult. I did look on ebay but second hand ones without milling attachment but same spec. (most new ones for sale are same but badged different brands) were going for much more than I paid for this so no brainer getting a new one. Looking forward to using it but waiting for cutting tools. Anyone else have one? View attachment 37489 View attachment 37490
Where did you get it from Neil ?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From company called vevor uk. If you go for it remember to use discount code at top of their website as well. It was £20 off for me.

·
Registered
390 Posts
You'll find having a lathe very handy. I bought a lathe and drill mill in seventies and whilst it doesn't get a lot of use these days it's handy to have on hand for those small jobs.

The milling attachment looks a bit ad hock though. Curious what you think of it once you've used it awhile :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts