Benelli Forum banner

LE #128 is home

5K views 33 replies 16 participants last post by  ROBFM 
#1 ·
Froze my nuts off on the way to KJM and had a serious attack of the fear once I arrived... that "am I doing the right thing" type of fear! Deal done, out on the open road and that all melted into the distance. Journey home seemed to take a quarter of the time! First impressions were amazement at the difference in the ride compared to my standard Tre. Steering feels lighter and it made me wonder if there was something up with the fuelling on mine still as the LE is so much smoother. Maybe its the race pipe but it was a revelation! Stopped at the services and had double the amount of admiring glances and comments compared to usual. Other nice surprises:
- No clock resets yet despite a few starts
- Clutch seems loads lighter... I was expecting the opposite from a dry clutch!
- No stalls (except a self inflicted one on the way out of the car park!) and not even any feeling like its going to stall when the engine note drops as the slipper clutch kicks in, like on the standard Tre.
- Amazingly, for the first time ever on a Tornado I managed to select neutral while stationary! Not gonna say it slips in easily but does seem to be possible with a careful tap from second.

Not so good things
- Tyres are awful after 5 years in a garage. Not sure what the shelf life is on tyres these days and whether its worth trying to scrub them in or just get new boots.
- Some of the carbon is looking a bit dull. Anyone recommend something to bring it up like new?

Will post some pics once I have had a chance to give her a thorough clean!

Col

See less See more
#3 ·
Well done Col, bet you're glad you did it now.
I would change the tyres though, I think they get quite an odd surface on them over time if not used, eve if it's just for peace of mind. Make sure whoever does it takes care of the rims!
Here's to many happy miles on her:clap:
fraser

#4 ·
Colin

Don't tell everyone or they will all want an LE..... Well all except those that like the lumpy custard yellow!

When the guys at Red Dog took mine out pre-delivery inspection, pre owner getting mitts on it, again at 600 mile test, etc. the like the report back was it was like a magic carpet ride. Comforting to know that the staff do a hands on inspection around the lanes of Edenbridge!

I must admit it is a completely different bike and worth that little (read insane amounts more) extra dosh!

By the way mine is due for another service and hands on test ride!

Enjoy!
Dave #137

G
#5 ·
BIG CONGRATULATIONS FRIEND

I'm rite pleased for you

Wot tyres are on the LE.
Make sure that the tyre pressures are ok and just potter around for a day or to to see if they scrub up, They should only go bad if stored in direct sun light for a long time.

#6 ·
Lucky Boy, Congrats on being in the LE club, very exclusive mate. hope you enjoy all the posing & watching other owners drooling over your baby :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

#7 ·
Wot tyres are on the LE.
Make sure that the tyre pressures are ok and just potter around for a day or to to see if they scrub up, They should only go bad if stored in direct sun light for a long time.

DUNPLOP - same as on the TRE. Just a narrower section as it allows the bike to tip in faster.

Regards,
Dave

#14 ·
Col, well done and a good deal to boot.

I had Dunlop 207RR's on my Tre as OE and liked them. Lasted lots better than the current Pirellis, mind you that could also be me getting comfortable with her :D

I guess you didn't need me to take the LE off your hands then ;)

#15 ·
hello

hey mate congrats on the new bike the stuff i use to clean my rs is called dodo juice i got it off a friend who bought it online not sure where from but belive me WHAT a shine it puts on the bike you have to rub it on to your bike with your hand and leave it to bake in the sun then buff it off its the best stuff i have ever use :clap:

#17 ·
hey mate congrats on the new bike the stuff i use to clean my rs is called dodo juice i got it off a friend who bought it online not sure where from but belive me WHAT a shine it puts on the bike you have to rub it on to your bike with your hand and leave it to bake in the sun then buff it off its the best stuff i have ever use :clap:
sounds good, but where do we Brits get the sun thing?

STOP PRESS: Benelli owner buys sun bed for garage :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

#16 ·
Some of the carbon is looking a bit dull.
OH NO!!!, 'Dull Carbon', that's the piggin worst..............take it straight back and demand a bloody refund Colin :rolling:

Glad all went well for you matey and can't wait to she her at Rogart. :ele:

#20 ·
I took your advice and bought some Dodo Juice and I have to say it is indeed awesome! Never bothered spending more than a few quid on waxes or polishes and this stuff really is worth the difference. Especially as theres probably enough in a tub to last a bike for 2 years or more :D
Will do a second coat tomorrow I think and then take the LE out at the weekend for some piccies :clap:

#21 ·
LE maintenance

Borat I would do one other thing if you haven't already. I would get the carbon fibre tank guard that is made at Geelong Carbon. See if Lawrence has any left. If not, they will one-off you one from the molds they have. They look the bollocks and function to keep you from scratching the paint on the pointy tank.

#22 ·
Yep mr White has already supplied one. The problem is it currently has a crappy benelli one on it and was strongly advised by Kjm not to mess in case heating it up causes the paint to lift. Still deciding whether to try and risk it!

#23 ·
Congratulations on your new purchase Borat and welcome to a very exclusive club!!!

Re your tyres, I personally would use them whilst running in your Benelli as you will not be subjecting the tyres to hard use. Once you have run the bike in and can use its full potential I would then recommend replacing them.

I have not been able to ride my LE since I carried out a full service on her way back in October, I fitted new Dunlop Qualifiers (Dual compound) and have only done 30 miles since! Looking forward to riding # 131 again.:excited:

#24 ·
Hey Lloyd was wondering where u had got to.. glad to see you are on the mend.. sort of! Tyres are verging on dangerous at the mo the back end is slipping out at the slightest provocation so I think I will change them rather than risk an expensive off!
Talking of running in - whats your opinion? KJM were saying most mechanics say don't bother - at least not to the point of limiting the revs etc - they said to just go easy but use all of the rev range. Thoughts?

Col

#25 · (Edited)
Running in?

I would definately run her in, the machining nowadays can produce such close piston to bore tollerances etc that they produce a huge amout of heat when first run, this can lead to scoring of the bore and possibly other damage. Running in an engine allows the component parts to mate with each other before high loads are placed upon them. The running in process also allows the rider to become familiar with thier machine so it really serves more than one purpose.

I have always run to about 5000rpm for the first 250 miles then increased the rpm by 1000 for each 100 miles travelled until the first service but that is my preference. The most important thing is NEVER labour the engine (ie run in too low a gear so as to cause the engine to struggle to accelerate.) It is ok to reach higher rpms occasionally (ie on overtaking other vehicles) but I would never go near the red line.

After the first service (625 miles) I allow the engine to gradually rev higher until approximately 1000 miles then I let her go!

This is just my opinion which is based on my mechanical background. I will say though that I have rebuilt engines that have not been run in thoughtfully and a good mechanic can tell if the engine has been thrashed from new or not!

For all those journo's who say that you don't need to run bikes in, they don't own or have to pay the repair bills for the bike when it goes wrong!

#29 ·
I would definately run her in, the machining nowadays can produce such close piston to bore tollerances etc that they produce a huge amout of heat when first run, this can lead to scoring of the bore and possibly other damage. Running in an engine allows the component parts to mate with each other before high loads are placed upon them. The running in process also allows the rider to become familiar with thier machine so it really serves more than one purpose.

I have always run to about 5000rpm for the first 250 miles then increased the rpm by 1000 for each 100 miles travelled until the first service but that is my preference. The most important thing is NEVER labour the engine (ie run in too low a gear so as to cause the engine to struggle to accelerate.) It is ok to reach higher rpms occasionally (ie on overtaking other vehicles) but I would never go near the red line.

After the first service (625 miles) I allow the engine to gradually rev higher until approximately 1000 miles then I let her go!

This is just my opinion which is based on my mechanical background. I will say though that I have rebuilt engines that have not been run in thoughtfully and a good mechanic can tell if the engine has been thrashed from new or not!

For all those journo's who say that you don't need to run bikes in, they don't own or have to pay the repair bills for the bike when it goes wrong!
Good job I took it easy on the way home then!

G
#30 · (Edited)
Congratulations on your new purchase Borat and welcome to a very exclusive club!!

Just not quite as exclusive as the YELLOW NELLI CLUB
But still i would like to see some
PICTURES PLEASE

You are currently running the risk of a load of us turning up on your door step DEMANDING to see the LE, we will then drink all your Tea eat all your biscuits and take our own bloody photo's then leave you like a used LE whore. Do you REALLY want that . . do you. . . really...

#31 ·
Oohh... really having to think about this one. Anyway Angus has already beaten you to it, he is arriving at midday today with my LE kit and will be getting first dibs so only sloppy seconds for you :D
Fear not, the Dodo Juice has been applied, the ACF-50 has coated the bits that go rusty, so she will be making her first public appearance at the weekend, weather permitting, and I will take some piccies then!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.