Benelli Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All, I appear to have a slight leak from the water pump....has anyone had to take their one off...? Looking at the workshop manual I was expecting to see gaskets between the mating faces that may need replacing but it looks like metal against metal with nothing in between....comments appreciated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Water pump

Hi Mike,
Looking through the workshop manual it looks (to me) that the pump flows coolant through around the outside of the centre drive shaft with o rings sealing the pump and shaft and there is no specs (or need) for any sealant around the housing. I haven't looked at the pump on mine but this is what I can see looking at the parts break down in the manual.
I don't have an electronic copy of the service manual and with an ounce of luck, if the complaining about Benelli, parts availability, broken bikes, dealers and every other thing that I have heard one million times takes a pause, someone might actually forward one to you to try and help you out (isn't this the point of the forum?)
Hope this has helped Mike....
Cheers, Dave
"Awaiting Hate mail"

·
Super Moderator
7,770 Posts
Hi Guy's,

If you have a Broadband connection you will be able to download a copy of the workshop manual for the TRE here. :)

Happy tinkering!!!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Water Pump Leak

Gents, I already have the Tornado Workshop manual and on further investigation today I found the cause not to be the pump but a pin hole in the rear core plug....now where did I put the araldite....! :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Coolant leak

Hi Mike,
Had the same unforecasted deployment of coolant with my Nelli also. The orginal plugs are steel, not your ever faithfull brass as I'm sure you know or now know, It's pure cost saving.... every motor car and bike producer is guilty. Then again, the lowest bidder supplies fire arms to your army so I'd rather be dealing with cheap plugs than a faulty gun or crappy army tank!
You probably already know but make sure you check the coolant bleeding method which is listed on the forum.
Cheers Dave.

"He who dies with the most toys, still dies (but dies really happy)"

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Coolant Leak

Hi Dave, Yeah I am fully familiar with the bleeding process having had to replace the front core plug when the bike p***ed it's coolant out all over the road last year - luckily I was not far from home. I decided to do the job properly and replaced the rear one today with a brass core plug - so all is well again....! :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Coolant leaks

Hey Mike,
Glad its all going now! A whole lot of bits that have to come of for a tiny little plug!
Cheers, Dave
"He who dies with the most toys, probably died as a result of them"

·
1,841 Posts
Core Plug Question

HI,MIKETHEMITCH, could you tell me where you got the repacement core plug in brass ? also how many core plugs are on the engine and are they all the same size ? Part no ??
I think I may change mine or at least carry spare ones as i am going to france and germany this year hopefully !:confused:

·
Super Moderator
7,770 Posts
Colin,

The core plugs for the Tornado are 16mm in diameter.

You should be able to get these from any good motor factor but I also believe that this size are used on Ducatis so check out your local dealer if you have one.

There was only one on my engine, on the back of the crankcase block just up from the sprocket cover, but I have also heard that there is sometimes one (or two) on the front at the top of the engine block at either side of the header pipe outlets.

Removing the old plug can be a bit of a swine and it not a job you could easilly do at the road side, so it may be better changing it/them before you leave on your trip. :clap:

·
1,841 Posts
Thanks laurence, I will take the fairings off and have a look to see my core plugs then. I have not changed a core plug since i was at school, but I would have thought if a hole is drilled and a self taping bolt is screwed in ,with the possible aid of a bit of tube and a washer you should be able to pull it out.

·
Super Moderator
7,770 Posts
That's exactly how I removed mine Colin but it's just a little bit tricky to get access to it which makes the job 'interesting'

This is the state mine was in:-

·
1,841 Posts
Thanks for that mate, its amazing that they rot though so quickly, they must be made of 90 % iron oxide and painted silver !!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Core plug

Hi Colin,
I managed to sneak a screw into the last remaining solid part of my core plug to extract it, guess I was just lucky also. I picked up a new brass core plug from a Caterpillar dealer at 8:00pm.... it's brass, it measures the same and it stopped the leak and I road to work the next day... and yep, it's a prick of a job!!
Cheers, Dave

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Core Plug

I just stabbed a screwdriver in mine and popped the little sucker out.... ;)

A note from the wise - do the job properly and don't use something like araldite or similar as it just doesn't work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts