Benelli Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay guys I have a question. I need a new chain on the MV and I have to admit, when they asked me whether it was a 520 or a 525 I had the proverbial deer in the headlights look.

Question is: What do these numbers mean? Have never known and want to know.

:confused:

·
I want a TreK. And a TnT.
1,215 Posts
news to me too...!

summarising from what I read here http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1342594

The Chain size '525' is a coded representation of the two main physical attributes of a chain: the 'pitch' (distance between the rollers) and the width of the rollers. Both are measured in terms of eighths of an inch.

The first number - in this case 5 - indicates that the pitch is 5 eighths of an inch. The remaining two numbers (25) indicates a roller width of 2.5 eighths of an inch.

So a 520 chain has the same pitch but a slightly narrower width of just 2 eighths of an inch.

This is all news to me and may be better explained in the original lnk but I thought I'd at least try... ;) ;)

cheers,
Dom

·
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahhhh...thanks for the link. Makes total sense now.

Copy of the link below for all to view.

A motorcycle chain is the most common method used to connect and drive the rear wheel in a motorcycle. The others are belt drive and shaft drive.
Chain size is in inches, the three digit number used to discribe the chain size is based on the "rule of eights". The first digit is for chain pitch. This is the distance between the pins. The second and third digits combine for roller width, with a decimal point inserted between the second and third digits.

For example, a 420 chain has a pitch of 4/8" = 1/2" (12.70mm) and a roller width of 2.0/8" = 1/4" (6.35mm).

A 525 chain (the size my bike uses) has a pitch of 5/8" (15.88mm) and a roller width of 2.5/8" (7.94mm).

A 530 chain has a pitch of 5/8" (15.88mm) and a roller width of 3.0/8" (9.52mm).

There are a number of chain sizes in use, and chain manufacturers may have slightly different specs for roller diameter, sprocket width, etc. But a 525 chain from one manufacturer will have the same pitch as a 520, 525, 530, or 532 chain from another and run smoothly on any 525 sprocket from any manufacturer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If it's an MV 750 it's a 520, probably the smallest in use on a 120bhp machine.
The F4 1000 and Brutale 910 has a 525. Which is a little wider.

·
Italian bike junkie
590 Posts
My '97 Suzuki RF900R had a 532 chain if you can believe that - it was HUGE. No longer have the bike, but I bet the original chain is still on it :rolling:

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
My '97 Suzuki RF900R had a 532 chain if you can believe that - it was HUGE. No longer have the bike, but I bet the original chain is still on it :rolling:
My 77 Suzuki GS750 had a 630 size chain. Stock HP was 72.
Chains have become stronger as time has pasted and manufactures can now install smaller chains which will probably outlast their older counter parts as well as save weight on the chain and the sprockets as these are now narrower.

If you wanted to save weight for racing purposes you could go from a 525 or 530 to 520 and change the sprockets.

G

·
Der

BLIMEY JR

Didn't you know that about chains. . god i thort everyone knew that ( he writes after getting the wife to explain it to him)

So hows life back in the states JR, missing the weather here i'll bet. Stuck out there in all that sun shine with no chance of a high side on a wet greasy pot hole'd road.
Still making ya top marshmellow/chocolate biscuit things. ? :bow: :bow:

·
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fine here

Yes I miss teh weather back there...it is horrible here!!! The sun shines in your face all the time...the 84 degree days are hot and sweaty...oh, and yes we are still making Smores. I will be heavily Smore supplied when we do Daytona Bike Week to satisfy those unsatiable appetites.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Its actually an F4SR which is 146 hp 750 but the cahin does appear ot be a 520.
Johnny is a very caring owner and only ever harnesses a few ponies out at any one time ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts