Benelli Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my 07 TNT Sport in to have the coolant recovery tank replaced under warranty.

Took them an over a week to complete the work. I pick up the bike drive it home and park the bike. Today I pull the bike out and try to detail it. What do I find while detailing the bike? How about scratches everywhere. :doh: Especially a nice deep one on the bottom side of the tank. :bawl: But the best part is that they tried to cover it up with touch-up paint of the wrong color.:mad: Hoping that I wouldn't notice.

The area around the coolant tank has a S$!T load of scratches.:mad: Looks like they were created while they were removing the rear shock that was in the way to get to the recovery tank. The frame and the rear upper and lower hugger have scratches.

I understand that a mistake can happen but not a bunch of them on the same day on the same bike.

Now I have to go on Monday and fight with these fools.

·
mid life crisis merchant
897 Posts
Sounds like the keystone cops did the warranty work :doh:
I'd get some legal advice before you go back just to have something up your sleeve in case they try and fob you off, It's obvious that they knew they were at fault and they will have to pick up the bill for the damage by their equally laughable attempt at trying to hide the damage they've caused.

One tip is to stay very calm when confronting them about it, you get nowhere by shouting and it also confuses them as they expect you to go in all guns blazing.

Hope you get the outcome you deserve and maybe a little something as in way of compensation for your "distress caused and the inconvenience"

take it easy
Johnny:cool:

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Take lots of detailed pictures DR and list everything that has been damaged on your bike. Write a short but straight to the point letter informing the dealer that you are not prepared to accept workmanship of this standard and offer them the chance to rectify it fully. Chances are they'll deny everything and then it'll be up to you to try and prove that they done what you claim they have done. As Johnny said earlier, keep calm over this. Not easy to do (and believe me I've been there) but here's a little tip for you that I've found works for me. Just try to imagain that the bike isn't yours and detatch yourself from it. You'll find that it becomes less personal to you and this will enable you to keep a more professional image when speaking to these idiots about it:mad: Also speak to the top man about it and not someone who just works on the shop floor as there's nothing worse than having to tell the same story to several people as it works its way up the ranks. It'll save a lot of grief buddy, a lot of grief. You never know though, you might end up having the tables turned on you and they might just appologise and offer to rectify the work properly for you to keep you as a valued customer.
Here's hoping they do that, if not then don't let it put you off riding the bike, get out and enjoy it and let someone else fight your case for you. Let us know how you get on matey and good luck;)

Al (Feeling remakably old and wise today:D)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Took my 07 TNT Sport in to have the coolant recovery tank replaced under warranty.

Took them an over a week to complete the work. I pick up the bike drive it home and park the bike. Today I pull the bike out and try to detail it. What do I find while detailing the bike? How about scratches everywhere. :doh: Especially a nice deep one on the bottom side of the tank. :bawl: But the best part is that they tried to cover it up with touch-up paint of the wrong color.:mad: Hoping that I wouldn't notice.

The area around the coolant tank has a S$!T load of scratches.:mad: Looks like they were created while they were removing the rear shock that was in the way to get to the recovery tank. The frame and the rear upper and lower hugger have scratches.

I understand that a mistake can happen but not a bunch of them on the same day on the same bike.

Now I have to go on Monday and fight with these fools.

Thats one of the reasons I told you I would not deal with them. Pricing is one, being hacks is another.

·
Registered
254 Posts
This is one of the things I talked about when the old and new importer worked together also. The old importer wanted the bikes perfect before being delivered. Benelli just wanted the bikes sold and take care of them later. The coolant tanks were changed by the importer before being delivered to the dealer. But guess what? They were changed out with the same tanks. They said they were improved, but they had the exact same problem with the new ones. Over 200 Benellis were brought in with the tank problem(among other things). And these were old known problems that should have been fixed at the factory. I agree with others that a good dealer and/or forum membership is the key to having a good experience with your Benelli. I won't let anyone work on my bikes.

·
Registered
254 Posts
my LE is #150 ser#ZBNB3TLE43P100150. I'll get the engine number for you next time I take the fairing off(being a Benelli, it'll be soon:doh: ).

My Sport ser# is ZBNTNTNT97P100256.
Engine number looks like B33*04140*. Theres a few numbers on the back center of the case that reads 1234SBBC. I'll take a better look tomorrow.

Thanks,
Joe

·
224 Posts
Yes, this is sad but true....you can not trust anyone to work or ride one of your bikes and expect them to care for it as you do.

The quality control over who can and does become a motorcycle tech and/or mechanic is non existent.

You never know the skill of the guys turning wrenches at a shop.

I have also decided long ago that only I am qualified to work on my bikes. Only I will take the time and care and caution to do the job right and return the bike in as good or better condition than when I started.

I have successfully do both warranty, insurance, and regular service on my bikes.

Standard service is of course done by me donating my time to get the tasks done. I therefore also save money by not paying large sums of money to have someone else work on the bike.

But I have also been successful in getting paid to do both warranty and insurance work on my own bikes. I have done this by talking to the right persons and presenting my case as being to far away to bring my bike in to have someone else work on it. I have also been successful in doing insurance repairs and getting paid the labor costs by telling the adjuster that my bike is a custom machine that is entirely maintained by me at my own shop (garage)....

I know that this type of approach may not always be successful, but I have been doing well with this method over the past 10 years or more in working and servicing over 2 dozen bikes.

You can get a lot of support being your own mechanic if you talk to people high up in the manufacturers ladder of command. I too have had a number of horror stories regarding dealers and mechanics damaging my vehicles, and not just bikes, but also 4X4s and sports cars, and family vehicles as well.

It really sucks....but if and when you do find a good mechanic you should treasure him/her and shower them with work and gifts as needed to create a strong and long lasting bond between you and them.

I have been blessed in having found a few of these rare people who can actually provide great service, and also provide great care to your toys too.

After you deal with the shop that "fu-ked" you, contact the better business services, the manufacturer reps, and if needed file a suit in civil court and/or get a good lawyer and take care of things this way. Unfortunately I have had to do all of these things in past dealings with my vehicles over time.

I wish you good luck. If you can get any witnesses that can support your claims that the damages had to have been from the shop...as soon as you can, get them(any and all witnesses) to give you a statement in writing, and get them to agree to be a court witness if needed. I have done this before too, but to keep everyone happy, I actually paid my friends and witnesses for the time they spent in helping me...a favor is OK, but peoples time is their money, and offering to pay for the time to help you goes a long way to keep people from feeling taken advantage of and/or being inconvienienced.

I hope you get your bike fixed back as good as new...make sure that someone else does the repairs....you should be able to track down the a--hole that did the "work" on the bike...and go after both him and the shop in court if needed.
:bow:

·
5,934 Posts
my LE is #150 ser#ZBNB3TLE43P100150. I'll get the engine number for you next time I take the fairing off(being a Benelli, it'll be soon:doh: ).

My Sport ser# is ZBNTNTNT97P100256.
Engine number looks like B33*04140*. Theres a few numbers on the back center of the case that reads 1234SBBC. I'll take a better look tomorrow.

Thanks,
Joe
Working on it Joe. It's a spreadsheet that I copy to the website as html, so it's all manual, unfortunately.
The TNT engine number is probably B3 304140. First 1130 I've seen so far that starts with '30'. All the others have been '00', but the sample is pretty small.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Working on it Joe. It's a spreadsheet that I copy to the website as html, so it's all manual, unfortunately.
The TNT engine number is probably B3 304140. First 1130 I've seen so far that starts with '30'. All the others have been '00', but the sample is pretty small.
Thanks. I looked again at the numbers and it looks like this:

B33
*004140*
The B33 is on top of the ser# and the number is surrounded by asterisks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts