Benelli Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a scruffy TNT 1130 with just under 40K/kms on the clock as a project. The is a returned stolen machine. It doesn't appear to be in too bad a shape and I have rebuilt worse . Since my experience with these machines is only what I have read, any advice, comments or opinions would be appreciated. The bike needs a lock set and some panel repairs. Since the bike does not have a HISS or transponder key system I don't see any problem there. I understand that the cam chain needs changing at 40 K /kms. Any problems with this are new cam sprockets usually needed ? I haven't seen the bike and haven't heard it running so flying blind there. Body, forks and wheels look OK from the pics.
Any advice graciously received.
Cheers,
JMB
Western Australia.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
welcome, there are other much more knowledgable folk on here, especially Errol, see his website Engenia's Benelli Tornado Novocentro Tre
This is principally about the tornado but most of the mechanicals are the same/similar.

From my limited knowledge, locksets etc are all std stuff, bodywork try ebay italy.
cam chain sounds due a change but relatively easy as its on the side of the block. No sprockets need changing but spring and movement of the tensioner should be checked.
The z25 gear was a weakspot , with an upgraded set with proper tolerance available.
Good chance the rear shock will be shot if mine is anything to go by.....

Good luck and post some pics:)

·
Registered
601 Posts
Get it bought. They have awesome engines. Just need to learn the few benelli foibles(if that’s how you spell it?)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
buying used TNT etc etc...

Hi, Thanks for your comments.
Being a bit of a new chum to this machine, kindly excuse my ignorance but where is the z 25 gear and what should I know about it ?
Cheers.
JMB

welcome, there are other much more knowledgable folk on here, especially Errol, see his website Engenia's Benelli Tornado Novocentro Tre
This is principally about the tornado but most of the mechanicals are the same/similar.

From my limited knowledge, locksets etc are all std stuff, bodywork try ebay italy.
cam chain sounds due a change but relatively easy as its on the side of the block. No sprockets need changing but spring and movement of the tensioner should be checked.
The z25 gear was a weakspot , with an upgraded set with proper tolerance available.
Good chance the rear shock will be shot if mine is anything to go by.....

Good luck and post some pics:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
used TNT with foibles.

Spelled correctly though prossibly not such an appropriate use of the word.Try 'idiosyncrasies'
Anyway to purge any foibles or idiosyncrasies which may be lurking in or around the bike I will probably have to buy parts. Any recommended English speaking parts supplier ? English speaking because my Italian language skills are sadly lacking......I just found out that innuendo is not an Italian suppository.
Any advice is appreciated.

Get it bought. They have awesome engines. Just need to learn the few benelli foibles(if that’s how you spell it?)

·
Registered
601 Posts
Alex at Maniac Motors in Germany is very good and language is no problem.
most of the issues are easy to sort if you are handy with a spanner. Get Tuneecu software and you can run diagnostics and tweak the mixture etc. I find they are like owning an old British bike needing regular tinkering.

inuendo hah

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
My views are ...
If it can be built it can be re built better !.

Meaning you will know that you've tweaked ,fitted new or upgraded older parts if required for new ones , and you'll get used to the ins and outs of the bike so you'll soon tell if something needs adjusting or replacing .
I've had loads of stuff to deal with probably more than my fair share , Having said that my Tre K is the most engaging bike I've ever owned.
Today I'll be taking my rear shock for a rebuild or new new replacement ! .
Hope you go for one they look amazing .
Rick

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thinking about it.

Thanks to all who replied, much appreciated.
FWIW, I've had plenty of tinkering practice with yee olde Brit bikes as well as old and new Jap bikes and others so there is not much which really concerns me with fixes or complete rebuilds. I am considering stripping down the subject TNT and doing a complete rebuild, bare frame up as a project over the next winter ( Mediterranean type Aussie winter that is ) taking 6 months or so which is what it usually take for a rebuild.
So, anticipating a requirement for some bits and pieces and looking at availability and cost priorities plus proactive on potential future problems ( eg zz 25 gear, thanks, timing chain replacement, thanks )
So any and all info from those with input is mucho appreciated.
Cheers.

My views are ...
If it can be built it can be re built better !.

Meaning you will know that you've tweaked ,fitted new or upgraded older parts if required for new ones , and you'll get used to the ins and outs of the bike so you'll soon tell if something needs adjusting or replacing .
I've had loads of stuff to deal with probably more than my fair share , Having said that my Tre K is the most engaging bike I've ever owned.
Today I'll be taking my rear shock for a rebuild or new new replacement ! .
Hope you go for one they look amazing .
Rick

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well. in for a penny, in for a pound ( how's that for real Brit vernacular )......... I just bought the 'scruffy TNT 1130. It's located in Melbourne the Covid capital of the Southern Hemisphere and won't get delivered to WA until early Feb which might give me time to finish the abandoned CB 750 Caf Racer project I picked up while I couldn't make up my mind about the Benelli.
So,in a effort to be pro active and get on top of anticipated parts needs there will be a mad rush to round up parts and panels.
Cheers.
JMB

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have you got the bike yet Blackmax88?

Are you planning on doing a build thread with it?
Yes, picked up the bike last Wednesday from "Toy Haul" depot in Pt Kennedy, it's still sitting on the trailer. I'm trying to clear a couple of projects out of the workshop before launching into it. Meanwhile I am chasing down parts in anticipation. Don't think I'll be able to start on it 'proper' for a few weeks yet.
Haven't thort at all about running a rebuild thread, right now I'm getting enough mental stimulation riding shotgun on my wife's academic writings for her online degree, a long time since I was at Uni, back when Pontius was a Pilot. Passed a lot of water since then.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts