Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, im a newbie to,i'm looking to buy a tornado tre or the rs model, and i'm looking for advice from the guys that ride them,i've spoke to russ at bennets and seems very friendly and helpfull but i'm being pulled both ways on wether to buy or not. so if you can help here go's,how much does servicing cost and at what intervals, what are second hand values like, do they still make them, are there any reliability problems and which is the best model to go for,i currently ride an aprilia sl 1000 so know all about grunt what is the tornado like to ride, im hoping for a ride at bennets in the next few weeks so any help you can give will hopefully help me make a dicission.thanks ian.

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
once bitten forever smitten !!!

hi once you get a ride on one you wont want to give it up. they feel small tight and the noise ............ f****n Fantastic !!! . i dug mine out today for a quick spin just to go to the local tesco's and i might as well parked a space ship in the car park it got that much attention. the ride is quick enough if your coming off v twins without being overly frightening ala gsxr1k's. if you look on here for comments on reliability and service info and once you see one at the price they sell for you will wonder why you didnt buy one before,they are also rare unless your outside a benelli shop .new ones are available but are old stock that has come from the benelli warehouse but they are all pdi'd so will be as they should be but better with all mods done and check with russ for servicing costs and frequency. p.s. i have a green/silver one which is the classic benelli colours but theirs plenty of choice of colours(red,yellow rs only)black/silver. russ is your man for benelli so buy one and join the club .... :D

·
Registered
380 Posts
Listen to your inner Passion !!!

I am also new to the Nelli TRE, all bikes cast about the same for servicing, have not found the price of parts for the Nelli any more expensive that other bikes, some parts eg coils are found on the Clio and cheap.

Go for a ride and you will love it... buy it on impulse and passion.

Its not a cold heartless Honda brought by Bank Managers.

It is like falling in love with an Italian Mistress that is hot passionate occasionally temperamental and very fast. :) :bawl: :)

If this does not appeal to you buy an R1 gxr or a VTR and be like the rest.

Hope it helps

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Firstly, Welcome to the forum

As for answering your fears..............

Well - Servicing costs will vary from dealer to dealer (I paid £500+vat for the 3750ml service from a dealer in DOncaster - then the following year I found Bennetts and the :bow: mighty Rusty Russ:bow: who charged around half that !!! :D ) Servicing is yearly or 3750mls

Second hand values... well a used or even new 900 tornado is great value to buy, so expect 2nd hand values to mimic this really. Depending on what year bike you are buying, think that you dont see many bikes less than 3500-4000k that are less than 5 years old, so wouldnt expect the nelli to drop below that (despite recent ebay advertised bikes - I put this down to being the wrong time of year to sell)

Reliability.......... All Nellis in the Uk should have been sorted with the relevant mods by now - I had a gearbox problem when it was a year old (the spring return on the selector lever wouldnt return !!) Benelli replaced that under warranty - other than that I have had nothing. Most the guys on here may have had the common niggle (clocks resetting as an example) at the end of the day these bikes are pretty much hand made / assembled and with that obviously comes Human Error - which is more common than computer error. A few guys have had more than their fair share of hassle (Big Bad Al to name one), you can either put that down to a friday afternoon bike - or the fact he is scottish and got beat up by a tree at 2007 motoGP at Donington !! :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

I would say go for it - without hesitation, the looks, sound and the ride are the best combination in any bike I have had / ridden !!

Good luck

Kurtp

·
president
1,009 Posts
advice from the president

dear ian,
best bit of advice i can give you is that if you are not a sandwich short of a picnic dont get one..................most people on this forum talk to there bikes the same as prince charles talks to his plants.............big bad al keeps calling his one a whore ( no wonder it dont like him ) and Kurts bike is a bit of a diva and has just finished filming a new version of the classic film " THE GREAT ESCAPE " sponsored by Bennetts:rolling: :rolling:

hope this was of some help to you :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Happy New Year Sharky - glad to have you back :D

Now dont go putting people off buying a nelli - just cos you want to keep it an exclusive membership :rolling:

Hows tricks?

Kurtp

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Well, my whore of a bike is sitting outside in the snow and has caused me far more hassle than I care to remember. Mechanically, it's been the biggest heap 'o' crap that I've ever plonked my arse on but bugger me do you get some right cheesy grins going when things are ticking along nicely. Would I buy another? No. Well, yes. I mean NO or is that really a yes? It's a real love hate relationship that I have with mine so if you're quick then get your arse along to my house and nick it whilst I'm out at the shops will ya!:D

Al (Not thinking of insurance fraud at all:rolling: )

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
try one for half a day. Get a new one if your going to buy one because there round about the same price as a new 600.:clap: What you have to remember is that it is italian and not jap.:doh: best bit though is when you park up next to a load of jap bikes people just want to ask what are the fans for. :bow: This bike was a head of its time when it first came out and it still looks new now.:bow: And it does'nt have to change every two years.:rolling:

·
1,231 Posts
Rec's

If you have the means I would reccomend buying the LE. I don't seem to be plagued by the same problems as everyone else but it will be a tad more expensive to buy one. you can buy a new LE for about 12,500 here in jolly ol' england.

·
1,231 Posts
Piccy

Here is a picture of Brooke on mine at the NEC Birmingham show. Plus all he extra bits you get...Ohlins suspension, Marchesini alloy aluminum racing rims, a full carbon fiber body, and some tasty magnesium engine bits wrapped up with an extra race exhaust and a case with different toothed sprokets and swing arm spacers and that is one heck of a deal. If you buy an R1 and do all those tasty bits to it you will be in the region of 20 grand!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
380 Posts
Johny whats written on her left arm Tattoo,

been looking at it for a while to decide.,
strange how the bike disappears :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

·
1,231 Posts
Tatoo

I think is a tatoo that symbolizes our love...that or it could be a full size tatoo of my penis...not sure which. (LOL)

G

·
THERE WAS A NEW YELLOW RS IN DK LAST YEAR (07) AND IF YOU BUY NEW THEY WILL GIVE YOU THE CHANCE OF EXTENDING THE WARRENTY FOR A FEW HUNDRED QUID. ASK FOR NEIL:bow: . ANDY OR WASH R THE TOP MEN IN SERVICE AND, FROM MY EXPERIANCE WILL BEND OVER (IF THATS YOUR THING) TO HELP. DONE ANY MODS/WARRENTY & SERVICING WORK WITH OUT ANY PROBS. ALSO A FREE RE MAP WHEN I PUT MY BEOWULF RACE CAN ON. TOP BLOKES:bow: .
THE SAME CAN BE SAID FOR RUSS BENNETT AND HIS TEAM:bow: . ALWAYS HELPFUL AND A PLEASURE TO TALK TO.
SO BUY NEW IF YOU CAN, BUT GOOD LUCK ON GETTING A YELLOW 1:bow:

·
Registered
513 Posts
i currently ride an aprilia sl 1000 so know all about grunt
My last bike was a Aprilia RSV thou the grunt is very different to a twin,but this bike has alot of character hard to describe it is really an experience.The sound is unlike the Triumph triple I had too.Have a good look through the forum make yourself wise to the potential problems(which most are minor and easy to sort) and purchase a good one.Full dealer history mods etc if the owner looks blank when u mention recalls or mods walk away ,any self respecting owner will know what needs to be done.So I say do it,at the last race of the BSB season five people were waiting at my bike to ask me questions two of my friends had brand new bikes they looked gutted :rolling:

You could not pay me to put a Datatool alarm on my bike feckin thing bleepin all the time.............although Brooke can sit on my saddle all day long :spank: .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks lads, some great advice there,and theres nothing i've read that worries me,i've had niggly problems with the aprilia but easy to live with.ian.

·
Italian bike junkie
590 Posts
thanks lads, some great advice there,and theres nothing i've read that worries me,i've had niggly problems with the aprilia but easy to live with.ian.
Wow, I must be lucky with my 2000 RSV-R, I've got over 32K miles on it and the only problem I ever had was a crack in the oil tank where the mount tab is tack-welded on. Had a welder fix that little problem, in fact he said he had done a number of those from Aprilias....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow, I must be lucky with my 2000 RSV-R, I've got over 32K miles on it and the only problem I ever had was a crack in the oil tank where the mount tab is tack-welded on. Had a welder fix that little problem, in fact he said he had done a number of those from Aprilias....
dont get me wrong when i say niggly i mean things like faulty kill switch,clocks resetting and warped disks that were done under warranty.apart from that i'd marry it if i could.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts