Benelli Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Need to see how you do this :)
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

Hood Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

I found these, the biggest i could go without resorting to air horns, which would need a direct supply from the battery and more room. There was a tapped hole in either side of the frame, i managed to tuck them in here, one is high and one low tone. They are loud, will sound like a freight train coming through town now

· Registered
1 Posts
low idle and sometimes cuts out on me at idle.
I have a similar issue with my 302S. It became increasing more difficult to cold start my bike and after the engine eventually turned over, it would die about a minute later. After riding it for 15 minutes it was fine, but my latest attempt to start it took three minutes. I was told the valves needed to be re-aligned with shims. Unfortunately, unlike other bikes that sell the shims separately, Benelli has the shims built into the valves themselves and none of the dealers near me have those shims in stock. They have to be ordered by specific size dependent on how much the valve needs to be adjusted. It's 0° C where I am so I'm waiting until the end of March to have my bike brought to the shop so they can find out what size I need.

· Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I have a similar issue with my 302S. It became increasing more difficult to cold start my bike and after the engine eventually turned over, it would die about a minute later. After riding it for 15 minutes it was fine, but my latest attempt to start it took three minutes. I was told the valves needed to be re-aligned with shims. Unfortunately, unlike other bikes that sell the shims separately, Benelli has the shims built into the valves themselves and none of the dealers near me have those shims in stock. They have to be ordered by specific size dependent on how much the valve needs to be adjusted. It's 0° C where I am so I'm waiting until the end of March to have my bike brought to the shop so they can find out what size I need.
hope you get it done quickly . I'm pretty sure it's the stepper motor on mine, it starts easily.

· Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Well i fitted a new stepper today and it fires up nicely and finally settles to a nice idle, unfortunately it's a bit low, about 1000rpm which can stall sometimes so still same niggle. I will take it for a run soon to see if the ecu recalibrates but i can't see it.
On tuneecu it says "target rpm1250". Why is it not reaching 1250. The engine runs fine, i just want to raise the warmed up idle a little without using the cable adjuster.
I can see the idle rpm scale on tuneecu and i set it at 1400 but it doesn't respond.

· Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Went for a short ride today and i suppose it's a little better although had a few stalls going through towns, the idle is at 1200 most of the time but occasionally drops to 1000. I managed to restart it before the traffic backed up and started shouting at me 😅. I've even started compensating for it by keeping the revs up when i declutch.

· Registered
1,113 Posts
It may be you have too little air bypassing the throttle bodies and the stepper is fully open to compensate all the time so cannot adjust the speed any higher. Just a theory and could be way of mark

· Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
At 99°c the fans cut in so it's fully warmed up the stepper is at position 3.? Tunecu reads it at 18 cold to 3 hot, should it be 0? It's idling at approx 1000rpm warm. If i tweak the air bypass screws on the throttle bodies would they affect the mixture across the fuel map or only at idle?

· Registered
1,113 Posts
it would affect the whole range but more pronounced at tickover. Have you set the throttle bodies or checked CO at tickover and above? The stepper gets blamed for lots of things ( some correctly) but if the butterfly /bypass/ CO are not in range this stalling at tickover can happen. There is a sweet spot but I have not found an ideal way of getting it there.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts