Benelli Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Still trying!
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading home from my service appointment at Border Bikes this afternoon and someone had a attempt at killing me! This may sound dramatic but after 37 years of motorcycling I reckon the description is true. Needless to say I have reported this to the police - heading up the A1 at a point where there are dual lanes on both sides of a double white line. Heading up hill and a gaggle of cars were heading down hill towards me. A van suddenly pulled out of the and crossed the double white lines heading towards me. I moved further left. The van altered line towards me (onto the inside lane). I thought (funny how this was quite logical and clear) 'he is trying to hit me .. shall I go left or right'. Waited until the last split second and flicked the bike left - into loose roadside gravel coming out of it in a mild tank slapper and accelerated away. This was not about skill - I suppose it was reflex action.. I missed by a couple of feet I think. Closest I have ever been to becoming a statistic. No panic which I am quite proud of -- probably the result of terrifying myself frequently racing and sliding around trying to do enduros over the years.
Police had another report on a van driving dangerously a little later than this incident. Hope they have got the idiot and locked him up.

Hopefully this was not a campaign against green and silver bikes! Think I will go and pour my self a drink now. Mike

·
Registered
864 Posts
Mike,

Sorry to hear about your terrifying incident. I know that road very well, im up and down it every week.
The mind boggles as to what in God's name the object in the van was trying to achieve. I'm glad you are ok, that's the main thing.
I met an idiot, not half as bad as that I may add a few months ago and it was also the first time i'd met such an asshole since about 15 yrs previous.
I was pretty shaken up too but followed and got the reg # to report it.
Get a stiff drink or two down you, I hope the cops catch the asshole. In any consilation, the chances of such an incident ever happening again are probably a million to one.

Neil

1 - 2 of 2 Posts