Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright Chaps

There has always been a lot of brand snobbery when it comes to tyres. I know what you are thinking? Maxxis Supermaxx?? :doh:

I have tried a lot of tyres on the road and the track over the years and did a lot of research of these tyres on the net but there was not much info on them... the odd magazine bit of positive feedback and the usual im a sheep and never tried them but will say they are crap as they are not Bridgestone or Michelin etc feedback because someone else on the net said they were crap :doh:

I got a brand new set of these tyres from my local dealer for £120! and fitted and balanced them myself last night and took them out tonight to scrub them in. Roads were a bit wet but let me tell you these tyres ****ing rock!

The new tyres fitted ready for scrubbing in!!!

After 45 miles nearly off the edge :)

Maxxis - you owe me some new siders! :D

I ride my tyres quite hard on the road and track and could not get these buggers to slide even only after 50 miles!!! I was giving it a handfull to try to get it to break free and slide a bit but they were sticking like glue. I could always get my BT016 or Pilot Powers to slide a little. The heat generated by them was quite something else.. they heat up real quick and even in the wet they were solid. Only complaint would be they are a little harsh... i was runnint 33 front and 37 rear but dropped a couple psi at both ends and they felt a lot better. Must be the construction but I always run other tyres a couple psi more than these. Going to take them to the track soon to test them out there.... after dropping a further fre psi!
Overall... these are VERY HIGHLY rated tyres. Don't believe the tyre snobbery crap out there. Try some!!!
I am confident that these tyres would be all you would ever need on the road!

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
good Report there neil. there is tyre name brand caution and as your practical report shows they perform very well and i have considered them before its just finding a stockist and also someone who would fit to Nelli wheels with care .

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
good Report there neil. there is tyre name brand caution and as your practical report shows they perform very well and i have considered them before its just finding a stockist and also someone who would fit to Nelli wheels with care .
Cheers Angus, if you are ever up in Edinburgh get a set and I will fit them for you... promise to not chip your rims :p

·
TnT explosive tester
1,011 Posts
Ive heard good reports about these tyres neil and the run out you have given them kinda proofs that,,,,,you animal:D

With the harshness I have had the same feeling from my new qualifier 2's, they really seemed a litle hard especially over the roads at hartside, but out last night they felt easier

I was reading the dunlop website the other day and it said that new tyres can feel harsh the first few miles, no idea how many miles but it seems tyres get softer after a bit of use, so ride will improve

·
Registered
184 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
i have also used maxxis tyres over the years and have found them to be really good i even raced with them and found them on par with the dunlops at the time .I have not tried them on my trek yet but i will be at some point .Good report thanxs .If someones looking at price busters was offering cts radials at 100 a pair worth a go as there really is not what you could call a bad tyre thease days due to modern technology

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good test and report Neil ! Question is if it is two compound or single compound and how many miles they can do.

I found them cheaper on e-bay 110,-£ + 8,-£ shipment.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAXXIS-SUPERM...arts?hash=item4148540902&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Cheers
Lars
Hi Lars, the picture in the Ebay ad is the sports touring tyre it doesnt say if it is the touring tyre or the Supermaxx (supersport presa) tyre...

They are single compound but generate a lot of heat and heat up really quickly.. silica compound for colder roads and wet use... more miles in different conditions will give better feedback.. I will be doing a lot of miles next week and will let you know how i get on with them. Fromn what I have read the longevity of the tyre seems to be really good too.. I will measure the tread after 1000 miles and see where i am with them. all in all it seems like a win win all round with these. I am looking forward to taking them on the track. Maxxis were this years tyre sponsor at the Isle of Man and the marshalls were all running on these tyres and they all had good things to say about them. I believe Guy Martin also had good things to say about them in a recent PB Magazine article?
All in all though pretty good value for £120 and if you consider that a more mainstream branded set of tyres are twice the price... these tyres are definitelty not half the tyre... excellent tyre and value :D

·
Fyule
697 Posts
Hi Neil

These sound like the dogs danglies, when my 014s are shot, I think I'll be getting a set.:clap: top work mate

Fraser

·
I want a TreK. And a TnT.
1,215 Posts
Maxxis - you owe me some new siders! :D
Hey Neely - you can have my sliders. I've must have had them for five years and the only mark on them is when I scratched them on the wall of the garage... :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Those things are seriously fried!! You should run a 'knee-down' masterclass :bow:

cheers,
Dom

·
Registered
833 Posts
Hi all, my son has just had a pair fitted to his 97 r plate cbr 600f, he has changed from BT020 and he reckons they are the dogs, I will keep you all informed as the mileage progresses. ron d

·
Registered
513 Posts
I had the supermaxx on my RSV 1000 found them to be excellent and CHEAP :) £107 a pair,they were really stable I liked the coloured branding they have been on sale in the states for years.Seems the bike prices creeping up now the stigma is fading just checked now £58 front £84 for the rear.Just put MA-Z1's (215/50 r17) on my Audi S4 from Maxxis only £43 a corner how good is that !!!

Mark

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Well done Neil, that is a very interesting report you have done there!:clap: It is certainly food for thought, that, if they are that good, how can the major manufacturers charge double for a similar product? Because they have got away with it so far, I guess would be the answer to that.

Mileage will no doubt be an issue, but, having said that, I only got 1800 miles out of my Pirelli Corsa 111's, which wasn't all that good, was it? It was the back one, actually, worn on the softer sides. The front had some life in it but I changed them as a pair.

Keep us posted. I know you will be hard on them, so I can't think of anyone better to test them out!

cheers:D
Ian

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BTW, what size rear did you fit? It looks as though they don't list a 190/55...

cheers,
Ian

Hi Ian, went for the 190/50. I think they only do the 190/55 in the states? maybe once the brand becomes more popular (and expensive :doh: ) they will introduce the 190/55 over here.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
if they are that good, how can the major manufacturers charge double for a similar product? Because they have got away with it so far, I guess would be the answer to that.

Cheers:D
Ian
Exactly. There is a lot of brand snobbery out there... tyres are a very emotive thing in the world of motorcycling. The net is full of people who have probably never used Maxxis slagging these tyres off because someone else did that. Throw enough mud at the wall and it will stick.
I thought I would give them a go and have really been impressed.

Linky

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Cheers for the quality post Neil, was going to get Dunlops, yet again this year but I might try these, they look pretty good so far, keep us posted how they get on, cheers Steve.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well guys I am just back from an 800 mile trip on the RS and these tyres and can honestly say that they were absolutely teriffic and never at any stage gave me any cause for concern.
I was loaded up with a tailpack weighing about 10 kilos and initially covered about 250 miles on warm dry twisty roads. I had the tyres nicely scrubbed in and had great fun pushing the bike, firing it out of bends cranked over 2nd gear hard on the gas and it never gave any indication of losing tracktion. I also had to perform an emergency stop down from 3 figures after a bloody tourist decided to stop in the middle of the bloody road.. the rear of the bike got airbourne but the front end was planted.. dry roads but i am confident I would have had no trouble in the wet.
I also spent several hundred miles of riding in the wet in the daylight. I was riding on a mixture of fast sweeping to 2nd gear twisty sections and the tyres performed flawllessley. A few twitches and couple of little slides but nothing more than I have had on any other tyre and to be fair I was probably being a little bit silly. The tyres as said before work up a great deal of heat which is good.. stopped for a *** after 50 miles on soaking roads and there was steam coming off them both and within a minute or so they were bone dry.
Last night I was travelling home through some terrible rain storms and thanks to the utterley useless and piece of crap Tornado headlight visibility was really bad. I was struggling to see where the road was going and had a few scary moments when I realised it was not going the way I thought it was.. (this was riding for almost 200 miles whilst holding down the pass button!) My god that headlight is utter utter crap and bloody dangerous!! but I could focus on trying too see where the road was going and had 100% confidence in what the bike was riding on underneath me on blustery, rain swept, leave strewn cold highland roads. I knew the tryes would get me round the bends which let me focus on straining my eyes trying to see whilst soaked through. Awesome tyres. :clap:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts