Benelli Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
well finally got the bike together and running fine.The only thing left was to take the bike to my local dealer (a1 in Ringwood), new tyres(Went for the Michelin pilot powers in the end), RWC, valve clearances, clutch basket recall and off to be finally registered.

Problem #1-I had measured the valve clearance and knew that the inlet was a little tight (acceptable) but the exhaust side was tight and would need doing soon. A1 confirmed this but had no shims in stock, which would have to be ordered in-possibly a month.

Problem #2- Even though my bike is on Engenia's Australian recall list, and I had confirmed there is only a 6mm alt drive gear fitted, they would have to get confirmation from the factory and remove the basket to check the part number. Fine, but I was also told that this item was not in stock and would probably have to be ordered. Funny, I thought the factory had sent out enough baskets to cover all Aussie delivered bikes, so where is the basket????

Ok- We agreed to get the bike back together, issue the RWC so at least I could get it registered and then reschedule the work for when the parts arrived.

Problem #3-When they put the bike back together, apparently, 1 or maybe two of the coils failed (funny, the bike had been running fine for the past month and when I rode the bike down there and it had run fine!)-Which means, more parts need to be ordered (over $300 each!!!)and not in stock(of course!!!), no RWC because they cannot road test the bike and leaves me with no bike over XMAS/ New Year and the forseeable future, and the bike in pieces at A1.

I figure if I can at least get the coils sorted, I can get it back on the road. I have used an Aprilia coil in the past(SAGEM 02Ig002,8124864, pbtp-gf20 off a 01-04 capanord/futura which is almost identical except for the plug end cap),with success, but it requires some modification and sits a little high in the head, which leaves little if no clearance to the airbox. HAS ANYONE ELSE SOURCED ANY OTHER ALTERNATE IGNITION COIL FOR THE TORNAD TRE??? If not, I may be forced to use the Aprilia coil again. (bought the last one form EuroBrit for about $150)

Any help would be appreciated!!!
BTW-I wish everyone a MERRY XMAS and a great, Tornado troublefree year in 07!!!!!

·
5,889 Posts
Dead Coils?

Pity I didn't read this 2 hours ago. I had my airbox off, after replacing my cam chain (that's a fun job - not!). But looking at the #1 coil top, I'd say you have about 5mm of headroom to the airbox/airtube. #3 has more. I can't see #2.

I don't understand why it would be dead now though. It was fine when you brought it into A1. One can only assume that they dropped it/them. Of course, they'll not take responsibility for it.

Are you dead sure that they are crook? I had checked my plugs at 10,000, re-gapped them, and re-installed them, only to find that one had failed. It's then that I found out that they are supposed to be replaced every 10,000km. So I replaced them all, and things were just fine.

If you really do have a dead coil(s), don't chuck them. Send one to me. I'd love to pull one apart and find out why.

Let us know how the mod to the Aprilia coil goes - if you end up doing it. Take pictures of your work. It may come in useful for the rest of us.

By the way. When the shims are done, get A1 to measure all of them, and record it for later. It makes future selection much easier! And keep the old shims. You can re-use them.
For that matter - yours are tight, so get your existing shims surface ground to the correct size. It'll be a damn side quicker than waiting for new ones to arrive from Italy! ( I used to do this with a Fiat 124 Coupe I owned a couple of decades ago)

While I think of it, the shims are 8.0 mm dia., and mine are in the range from 2.1 to 2.4 mm, in increments of 0.05 mm. So you may just be able to match them up with some from some other manufacturer. Ducati perhaps?

·
3,081 Posts
shims

Yo Louis, try Precision shims Australia, or something like that, I see their ad in the back of Two Wheels and AMCN all the time, they are over east and should be able to supply you with shims within a few days.
try googling them as they are on the web.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Now that sounds all a little bit too technical for me!

I just ride the bloody thing and when it goes wrong, I get the experts to fix it!

Andy

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
If you really do have a dead coil(s), don't chuck them. Send one to me. I'd love to pull one apart and find out why.
I have a dead coil lying in the garage buddy and I have friend arriving from Canberra tomorrow so I can give it to her to take back to you (she leaves on the 6th I think)

I'll nip downstairs and double check and if it's there, it's yours;)

Al:)

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
I have a dead coil lying in the garage buddy and I have friend arriving from Canberra tomorrow so I can give it to her to take back to you (she leaves on the 6th I think)

I'll nip downstairs and double check and if it's there, it's yours;)

Al:)
Al you are such a generous man when it comes to Christmas!!!!!!:rolling:

My god, what did you buy your mother for Christmas!!!!:D

Andy

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Due to my severe lack of technical knowledge on this bike of mine I've just realised that I don't know what an ignition coil should look like:doh::rolling:

Could it be something like this:confused:

Al:D

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Al, you've got it in one.

For the next task, find out where the "poofle valve" is.
Now I know you're taking the piss on that one matey:rolling: Is it anywhere near the arseole valve:confused:;)

Al:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Coil Solution

OK guys, how is your French????

I have been digging and digging and then dug some more. It seems Benelli owners arent the only ones suffering from burnt/shorted coils. Wherever and whatever they are fitted on, suffer from coil problems!!!

Now this is a diverse coil which was originally made by Sagem, which was taken over from Johson Controls International (JCI) which has now been engulfed by Valeo!!!

It is fitted to Alfa's, Fiat's, Lancia's, Renault's, Citroen's, Peugeot's( on their respective 3L V6's) and Aprilia's (01-04 Caponord/Futura).

All the info I have has come from the Aprilia forum, which I have cross checked with the manufacturers (Valeo) and the carmakers websites.

Prices for the coils varied from A$330 Benelli and 6 week wait, A$185 Renault in stock, A$93 Citroen in stock and A$85 Peugeot in stock. It goes without saying, that afternoon I was knocking on my local Peugeot Dealers door(Melbourne City Peugeot) and bought 3 over the counter. With very little modification and about half an hour later, I had 3 brand new coils ready to fit to my Tornado! For modification/info details see

http://gtog.free.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1313 and

http://gtog.free.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?p=19336&sid=c9def6177ebaa5d13886338efd7f1a2b and

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89613&highlight=coil and

product number 597077 at www.valeo.com online product catalogue.

This explanation is in French, but the pictures are that good, it is easy enough to follow. The other plus is that the high tension end which attaches to the plug is identical and does not require modification for fitment to the Benelli. The only thing you have to do is cut the end cap, I carefully used a hacksaw blade, and sealed the cap with silicon. I also sprayed a hard drying anti corrosive film over it, for obvious reasons.The Aprilia guys have same problem with the corrosion. See

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100059&highlight=coil

The result is an identical coil!!!

The primary and secondary coil specs seem spot on as well. An Aprillia member quotes over 10 thousand kilometres without a problem. As they have not been tested long term on a Benelli yet, use these coils at your own risk. Having said that, I have three on my bike!

So far, no joy with the shims. Anybody know what model Honda shims may fit? Otherwise I will lap them down to size.

·
5,889 Posts
Why do coils fail during or shortly after a service?

Problem #3-When they put the bike back together, apparently, 1 or maybe two of the coils failed (funny, the bike had been running fine for the past month and when I rode the bike down there and it had run fine!)
This has been bugging me for months. Why would a coil, or coils, fail during or shortly after a service? It's happened to several owners.
:)
It dawned on me last night while I was reading about synchronising the carbies on a Boxer (of all things). There are 2 ways of doing this. Use a vacuum gauge, as per the manual, or use an old trick - short out each spark plug in turn, & listen to how far the revs drop. If they drop evenly, they are all pulling the same, & they are synchronised.
:rolleyes:
The thought occurred to me, that some mechanics may be lifting the coil stick away from the plug, to stop it sparking, instead of shorting it out. If you lift it off (very easy to do), the spark gap gets very big, & the coil voltage will build up until a discharge occurs. This discharge may happen inside the coil itself, and may damage the coil. If the damage is bad enough, it will fail immediately. If not, it will fail at a later time.
;)
So there is an explanation, and a warning. If you're in the habit of synchronising throttle bodies by interrupting the ignition system, short it, don't open it. Your coils will love you for it.
(Oh, & don't short the primary side. The ECU won't be impressed.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts