Benelli Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was brought to my attention on Saturday that i didnt have any screws holding my mirrors on.I had the bike stood on display at the local Calne Bike Meet and when i went back to the bike someone had knocked one of the mirrors off and just placed it inside the fairing.Luckily no damage.When i got home i checked and there wasnt a screw in the other mirror either!.Lucky they had not flown off at high speed.And also very lucky because if the screws had been in place that person might have snapped the mirror off!.:)

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
It really makes you wonder what goes on sometimes with your bike Zebo before you ever get your hands on it. I noticed that my front fairing has some very very light scuffs on it in a place that I know that I couldn't have done it myself (never noticed this when I picked it up), a screw was missing from the fairing on the black plastic bit that covers the header pipes at the front and of course the bloody chewing gum that was still fresh on the inside of my lower green fairings:rolleyes:
Somebody somewhere isn't doing their job properly and I'm just glad you never had them come off when you were on the open road mate. Actually, I remember reading a review in Fast Bikes magazine where they had a Ducati, a red RS and another Italian bike and had taken all three bikes out for a blast to see how they compared when the mirror on the RS popped off as the bloke was doing 80mph:doh: I'll see if I can find it somewhere;)

Al:D

·
Registered
574 Posts
The mirrors are held on in the same way as on the DUCATI 1098 which helps for track days where it only needs 1 screw to remove the mirror.
The allen head bolt is a metric thread and should be available as a standard bolt - but remenber to use a shake proof washer and dont over tighten or the barass insert in the mirror moulding will come out.

·
Registered
136 Posts
It really makes you wonder what goes on sometimes with your bike Zebo before you ever get your hands on it. I noticed that my front fairing has some very very light scuffs on it in a place that I know that I couldn't have done it myself (never noticed this when I picked it up), a screw was missing from the fairing on the black plastic bit that covers the header pipes at the front and of course the bloody chewing gum that was still fresh on the inside of my lower green fairings:rolleyes:
Somebody somewhere isn't doing their job properly and I'm just glad you never had them come off when you were on the open road mate. Actually, I remember reading a review in Fast Bikes magazine where they had a Ducati, a red RS and another Italian bike and had taken all three bikes out for a blast to see how they compared when the mirror on the RS popped off as the bloke was doing 80mph:doh: I'll see if I can find it somewhere;)

Al:D
It's funny that, I found that copy of Fastbikes in my locker at work the other day. Will have to have a read :)

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I think that the construction and use law for new bikes, when they get type approved, states that the mirrors must fold in case of an impact, hence the use of spring clips.
Mine had no bolts in when I got it and 2 have now been fitted, Im sure they will be the first to break off in an impact anyway and I wouldnt want to replace one if someone knocked it onto the floor as per the post, besides if they flew off might hit another vehicle that would be real bad.
I have a copy of superbike from 2003, Italian Battalion test RS versus Aprillia RSV and Duc 999 factory. They lost a rubber of the seat cowl on the nellie.
They also rated the Duc top, it was twice the price mind you so im not surprised !!

P.S dont forget to add a washer to each top spring pin to improve the rear view in them.

·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I only have myself to blame because i have had the bike for 3 years and have taken the mirrors off several times for track days and servicing etc.:doh:

·
Registered
231 Posts
mirror

i lost a mirror on the way to magny corse on my old rs ask jethro he stll reminds of it bolts kept coming lose i loctited them in the end

1 - 8 of 8 Posts