Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just filled up with petrol at lunchtime and there's this middle aged gent talking on his mobile whilst filling up with petrol.

Petrol station attendant told him to get off the phone...he nodded then carried on with his conversation for another 30 secs or so.

Got me wondering - personally I'd never do it but is using a mobile phone at a petrol station genuinely risky? If so...what are the potential consequences?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
What a muppet that bloke is, bet he thinks he's clever too !!

I would say any live electrical/battery powered kit around petrol vapour has the potential to be a spot dicey. I dont know how much petrol is kept under the forecourt of a filling station, but I bet it makes a nice flash if it was to ignite.
Bl***y mobile phones, bane of the 21century, car drivers are the worst using them on the move, I hate that, Steve.

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts
That remeinds me, last August, the 31st to be Exact, I filled up at a petrol station in Sunny Wales :)rolleyes: ) and the bloke who served me said he had photo's of the Tornado in his locker room and said what an awesome looking bike they are, so then with a big grin on my face I set off on my merry way..................... 5 minutes later I wrote the F*cker Off !

ooooops ! :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

:(

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
864 Posts
When he nodded and continued talking I would have taken it from him and flung it as far as I could. Twat can blow himself up but not me!

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Did anyone see the Braniacs prgram that addressed this issue? They had loads of the buggers ringing at the same time and nothing happened .... however, depending on the type of clothing you wore then static electricity could cause a spark which could in turn set you ablaze:rolling:

What gets me is the no eating signs at petrol stations:confused: Am I at risk muching on a Mars Bar whilst filling up:confused:

Al:D

PS, Kurt always seems to phone me when he's at the petrol station ... You're a bad boy Kurt:)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Did anyone see the Braniacs prgram that addressed this issue? They had loads of the buggers ringing at the same time and nothing happened .... however, depending on the type of clothing you wore then static electricity could cause a spark which could in turn set you ablaze:rolling:

What gets me is the no eating signs at petrol stations:confused: Am I at risk muching on a Mars Bar whilst filling up:confused:

Al:D

PS, Kurt always seems to phone me when he's at the petrol station ... You're a bad boy Kurt:)
Of course you are at risk eating a Mars bar.
Haven't you heard of obesity? :rolling:

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Try putting 4 mobile phones around a piece of popping corn on a table and guess what happens when you ring them all at the same time !!!!

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Depends who's mars bar it is and exactly where your munching it!!! (Ask roly) :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
You ever posted something and you just know you're eaving yourself wide open for some Roly abuse? Yup, that's what I thought when I wrote that post:rolling::rolling:

Al;)

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Thers Nowt Like a Fun size Mars to make an entrance !!!! :rolling: (or so i've been told ) :eek:

I have ranted at someone on the phone in apetrol station but i just wished the guy would of gone up in a haze of petrol flames !!

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Thers Nowt Like a Fun size Mars to make an entrance !!!! :rolling: (or so i've been told ) :eek:

I have ranted at someone on the phone in apetrol station but i just wished the guy would of gone up in a haze of petrol flames !!
Is Apetrol station the one just before Kings Cross Angus:confused:;)

Al:)

·
5,934 Posts
Ain't gonna happen Angus. You need 1000 Volts per millimetre to get a spark to jump. Don't know about your mobile, but mine only has a 3.7 V battery. Now, while it is possible to convert 3.7 V to 1000, there's no circuit inside a mobile that needs anywhere near that voltage.

Nah. That little nugget is an urban myth.

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Apetrol just round the corner from the goprillia dealer !!(Damn That keyboard :rolleyes: ). Glad that its a myth over phone useage but its been a pretty good line thats been spun !!

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Nah. That little nugget is an urban myth.
But the tooth fairy and Santa are real though huh? Bloody better be. I've just cut out all my teeth with a rusty stanley knife to help pay for my wheels and I've asked Santa to bring me a new paint job for my lid at christmas:rolling:

Al;)

·
5,934 Posts
But the tooth fairy and Santa are real though huh? Bloody better be.
Dunno about the tooth fairy, but Santa is definitely real. He kinda fades into the background between the late teens and about the time your own kids start turning up, but, hand on heart, Father Christmas is definitely no myth.:bow:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Engenia - thought you might settle this one - are you telling me its completely safe to use a mobile phone in a petrol station?

Not about to start doing it myself but at least I'll stop getting so wound up when I see people doing it if I know they aren't putting my life at risk.

·
5,934 Posts
Engenia - thought you might settle this one - are you telling me its completely safe to use a mobile phone in a petrol station?
That's what I'm telling ya. It can't happen.
If the phone generates 20V from it's 3.7V battery, the spark gap would have to be 0.02 mm to ionise the air. Circuit board tracks can't be made that fine - by a factor of 10.
Add to that, the need for the correct air/fuel ratio for ignition. Assuming you've got the phone at your ear, you'd be seriously passed out if the AFR ever got high enough to go bang.

You're safe .....
... except ...

if you DO decide to answer your mobile while refueling, you may not be paying as much attention as you aught to.:rolleyes:
I have heard of faulty nozzles that don't click off when they should. If you're busy talking on the phone, and this happens, you may just end up with a river of petrol under your car :(
Now that might be a problem
:blowup:

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
I have heard of faulty nozzles that don't click off when they should. If you're busy talking on the phone, and this happens, you may just end up with a river of petrol under your car :(
Now that might be a problem
:blowup:
I've had to complain about faulty nozzles at one supermarket petrol station that I use on a couple of occasions. When filling up I was busy watching the pump to see how much it was costong me in fuel when I heard what I thought was a leak gutter or something like that. Looked around, saw nothing and then I looked down and the bloody petrol was spilling everywhere. On my jeans, shoes etc. Told the manager about it and he said he'd get it fixed. Popped in a week later and used the same pump and guess what happened? Kicked up a friggin stink I did in the shop whilst the petrol station manager had to phone the store manager to come and deal with me. It ended up with the petrol station manager getting a bollocking from the store manager right in front of me because he seen this as a serious health and safety risk and he'd done bugger all about it:rolling: B*stards:mad:

Al;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts