Benelli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ANY MODS BELOW ARE DONE AT OWNERS RISK
On stripping the TNT to try and fix the problems with over heating and hot starting I noticed some very interesting things………….
First I looked at the radiator fans apart from being in the worse place for air flow I measured the actual airflow through the rad and was surprised how low it was (boring bit appx 85m³/hr) this is mainly down to the high resistance so I decided to remove the fan finger guard mesh by cutting the plastic bars out with a Stanley knife, (very easy to do) after re-measuring I had gained 45% on airflow
Next I up rated the wires to and from the battery, alternator & starter changing them to 16mm tri-rated cable.
Why the tank was off I looked at the airbox what a disaster the filter fits so badly that it lets as much sh*t in as it stops. Also the inlet snorkel is much to small so I have removed the air flaps opened up the whole front and fixed in a 210mm square K&N air filter (nearly 100% increase in flow) I have also clipped up the wiring near the headstock and put a 15mm spacer under the front tank mounting to allow more airflow to the filter the throttle body trumpets sit about 28-32mm under the airbox lid, for performance it should be at least 40mm but I am going to live with it for now (if I shorten the trumpets I will lose bottom end power) finally I have got a power commander arriving end of the week to sort out the fuel mapping. I will post pictures if anyone’s interested.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tnt mods

well done vtx,thjis is the sort of feedback i like.i have been busy over the winter changing the look of my tnt over to the 2006 black/red colour scheme.mine runs fine in the cooler weather.but i am going to do the same mods as you.
keep up the good work.
zebo.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: tnt mods

VTX, mine doesnt seem to have a mesh as such, only what looks like 3 sets of support bars or am i getting confused? also what battery have you replaced yours with?
Ta.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey vtxbrit, I don't have a TnT but still very glad to read your post! I can breathe again!!! Any chance you could take a look at a Tre and let us know?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Hector
if you look at the fan you will see the 3 supports, between them is a grid made up of bars (if you look carefully you can just see the fan blades through it) there the ones that i cut out leaving the 3 main supports i will take pictures this weekend and try to post.
I spoke to automotif today they are doing a Devil replacement can with link pipe and all brackets to make it fit without any mods, (road legal with removable baffle) for the TNT in carbon, st/steel & titanium finish
I will keep you all posted.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Cheers vtx , ive allready got the Devil can on mine, fitted it last week, easy fit , looks good ,sounds superb with the baffle out, approx 100 db at 3500 revs but with the baffle in its a bit quieter than standard, took it for a ride on Sunday and the bike definitly seemed more powerfull, although i havnt ridden since the end of Nov, Ive got an e mail problem at the moment but as soon as its sorted i will post some pics, also my bike hasnt got a mesh.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
battery wire

Keen on doing this to the tre at its next service, so some pics on the wire would be good,although on the tornado i think I will be struggling to fit 16mm wire though the little gap that the tornado has under the battery and the cooling ducts, its pretty tiny, Has yet to see a tornado airbox. Does anyone know if its the same?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ALL MODS ARE DONE AT OWNERS RISK
Attached is a few pictures showing the air filter and how much crap has bypassed it, although I have almost finished the mods including making a scoop/heat shield as per my pictures I have sent an aluminium template to K&N who reckon a 1 off purpose made filter which will drop straight into the standard airbox would be around £100-00 if I ordered 5-no they would be about £65-00 each (don’t forget they never need changing and more importantly they work) the only mod would be opening up the air inlet, (5mins with a jig saw) and removing 1 post in the airbox lid.
The picture of the rad fan was taken without removing the rad so not a brilliant picture but you can see the fan blades and I have shown a piece of grille I removed, remember the grille is mainly there to protect your fingers so watch out when there running I have also put a filter onto the engine breather which originally went to the airbox. This is for emissions but feeding hot oily air into the air inlet reduces performance (the colder the air in to the engine the bigger the bang) the picture shows it pulled out so you can see it but it actually tucks nicely under the fuel rail. The 16mm battery leads were made exactly the same length as the originals and fit ok between the tank and battery.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ALL MODS ARE DONE AT OWNERS RISK
Attached is a few pictures showing the air filter and how much crap has bypassed it, although I have almost finished the mods including making a scoop/heat shield as per my pictures I have sent a aluminium template to K&N who reckon a 1 off purpose made filter which will drop straight into the standard airbox would be around £100-00 if I ordered 5-no they would be about £65-00 each (don’t forget they never need changing and more importantly they work) the only mod would be opening up the air inlet, (5mins with a jig saw) and removing 1 post in the airbox lid.
The picture of the rad fan was taken without removing the rad so not a brilliant picture but you can see the fan blades and I have shown a piece of grille I removed, remember the grille is mainly there to protect your fingers so watch out when there running I have also put a filter onto the engine breather which originally went to the airbox. This is for emissions but feeding hot oily air into the air inlet reduces performance (the colder the air in to the engine the bigger the bang) the picture shows it pulled out so you can see it but it actually tucks nicely under the fuel rail. The 16mm battery leads were made exactly the same length as the originals and fit ok between the tank and battery.

tnt mods

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi VTX, great pics, mine definitly doesnt have any grilles on the rad fans, which is maybe why it doesnt have starting probs, did you make the no plate bracket yourself? and what battery have you changed to?
Simon.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes made the bracket last year, interesting about the fans? I will get the exact details for the battery and post. my brother builds top fuel car engines (seriously clever) and has finally given the tnt a look over after testing inputs/outputs etc he said the ECU (the brain) is total sh*t and wants throwing in the bin it cant cope with sudden changes in input signals which is exactly what an engine does, he reckons to put a 16 channel proper controller in would cost about £600 but then it needs mapping which could take 2-3 days on a dyno (that’s the expensive bit bearing in mind his company charge high 3 figure numbers per hour for bench dyno work) I hope that the power commander will be a cheap compromise.
what size back sprocket have you got the manual says 16 front 41 back mines 15 front 36 back which would be the equivalent of 16 front 39 back my ratio means more top speed less acceleration could help to explain why 30mph is right between gears. we will win:lol
keep you posted

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My sprocket size is rear 36 front 16 , the bike was supplied with these sizes and when i rang around the dealers they all said the same.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hi hector, I used a scotch brite pad (blue) which are designed to fit to a 4" grinder via a velcro backing pad we use them all the time for stainless polishing.
I have booked my TNT to be dynoe'd next week (as long as the new can has arrived) now the last thing is sorting out the suspension for my weight and riding style (or no style as the case maybe)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: cooling fan

Hello:rollin
I saw that you modified your cooling fans.
But there will be a warranty recall very soon on the TNT of a modification on the cooling fans, it will be the same as the 2006 model. Fans on the outside of the bike.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Interesting Cobas, are you sure about this information? whenever i ask the dealers they say that they havnt heard anything.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I agree with you Hector I was told last year that there is a very grey area over warranty as “Benelli actually went into receivership and the new owners took it on without liabilities” I have approached KJM who said they would look into the overheating and hot starting problems but after several phone calls stated that the factory were not responding……….so once and for all could somebody please tell me is there or is there not any factory warranty on the benelli bikes also why are there no 2006 TNT’s available in the UK
The light evenings and dry days count down has started!!!!!!
vtxbrit

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

KJM had an advert in last weeks MCN saying that TNTs were in stock, they have also just recieved some warranty parts for mine ( ordered in sept ) so i dont think theres a problem with warranties, but i find it hard to believe that they will issue recalls.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
warranty

Guy's, Benelli will look after past sold Benelli's, they are supplying new new starter motor drive gears (new ratio) to improve the starting/weak battery issues, just be patient, a big organization can't repair things over night. If it is was that easy, the problems would not have occured in the first place.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts