Benelli Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Not an expert on these things but knowing how hard it is to get the Tre tuned properly, sounds like a recipe for disaster to me! Be interested to see what the experts think.

Col

·
Registered
139 Posts
Not to sure about the car versions of these "chips" but have some experiance with the bike ones. I went down the route of de-restricting my Hayabusa and this is what I discovered :-

the "big" 4 Jap companies entered an un-official agreement to restrict the top speed of the top end bikes to 300 kph (186 mph). Each manufacturer has a different method to achieve this, on the Suzuki it was done by retarding the timing at 9000 rpm in top gear (via a gear position sensor) so the bike would not go above 186 mph, I fitted a TRE (timing retard eliminator) which "tricked" the bike into thinking it was in 5th gear all the time and so the timing never retarded and the top speed was not limited, it did work as I maxed the busa out on a German Autoban and had the speedo needle hard against the stop pin in the clock and it still kept accelerating. The TRE is really only a resistor and some gubbings to know when in neutral. I would guess that some manufactures do it electronically and these "chips" over ride it. It would not be applicable to current Benellis as I don't know of any that need holding back from 186 mph :bawl: .
The TNT and I think Tornado has the mechanical restrictions of the air box and exhaust flaps which can be removed and is well discussed on this forum but you won't get 15 bhp

·
5,928 Posts
Seen plenty of these but not for bikes,would never use one myself but would love to hear opinions esp from Errol
Mark
Hey Mark. Put the 10 quid towards Tuneboy, a wideband sensor & some dyno time. That way you'll know what changes are being made, and what difference they make.

No sense making changes if you can't measure the results.

That's my 2 bob's worth!

·
1,841 Posts
This chip works by tricking the ecu that the intake air is colder than it really is, this makes the ecu give more ign advance ( and more fuel ). Road bike engines are set on the rich side when under full load anyway to be allways on the safe side. The ignition advance will also be a bit less advanced than it could be to safe guard against detonation. The chip will prob give a bit better performance, at the risk of DETONATION.:( :) :bawl:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts