Benelli Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately this isn't a video with a bunch of hot chicks running around with their perky nips hanging out...
No, instead it's about my near death experiences caused by my Motty AFR on the fritz...
For the past few days my bike has been running HORRIBLE. Sputtering, spitting, and not wanting to go. Then.. all of the sudden it wants to take off like a bat out of hell....
Upon running the bike with the laptop hooked up my A:F ratio was at a staggering 17.+: 1 .. I turned off injector control and it fell right back down to the crappy stock 11.7-12.3:1 ..
The Motty is doing something odd.
I have the base tune setup on my AFR Map1 right now and it's still not working correctly...
I did notice that my motty was VERY VERY VERY hot.. It sites under my seat, so it gets super heated by the exhaust I guess and it's been nearly 100F every day this week, only adding to my misery. The bike dies at times and won't start, as if the battery is dead. Once it cools down it starts again. My guess is that it's getting vapor locked because it's running so lean...
I don't have an airbox right now, but I'm putting it back on tomorrow morning.
I have the stock exhaust (with the exception of the cat being gutted and the exup valve being removed)..
I'm running iridium plugs.
The Motty has been in there for 6 months or so by now.. I've never had a problem before this. I have recalibrated the O2 sensor also, since the temps in Dec-Jan were about 20F and now it's 100F... I figured that 80*F difference is worthy of a new calibration.
Anyway, any help would be appreciated.
I plan to move my exhaust out from under the seat very soon.. I'm tired of smelling like I live in an exhaust pipe.

·
5,928 Posts
Sounds like the AT is interpreting the sensor data incorrectly. It thinks it's running richer than it really is.

OR, your target map is way too lean for some reason.

You need to contact Tamas. He'll have a better idea.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like the AT is interpreting the sensor data incorrectly. It thinks it's running richer than it really is.

OR, your target map is way too lean for some reason.

You need to contact Tamas. He'll have a better idea.
I sent him an email last night.. Just haven't heard back from him yet. I sent him my datalogs as well.. Hopefully he let's me know what he thinks..
I know the map is good, because I saved the base map off before I ever changed anything way back when and I reloaded that map a couple days ago.
if I ride for 30 min or so the bike starts normalizing itself, but for some reason when I start the bike again I have to go through it all over again.
It takes me 35 minutes to get to work.. :(

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know what any of that means, since I don't speak Italian yet..
My motty has been working fine for a while and then all of the sudden started acting up.. It's not like it wasn't working right from day one..
I also noticed, when I disable the motty my bike runs normal again..

Now it doesn't start after stalling because of vapor lock or something. If I let the bike cool off it starts again, but still runs terrible.

·
5,928 Posts
My motty has been working fine for a while and then all of the sudden started acting up.. It's not like it wasn't working right from day one..
I also noticed, when I disable the motty my bike runs normal again..

Now it doesn't start after stalling because of vapor lock or something. If I let the bike cool off it starts again, but still runs terrible.
Have you been in touch with Tamas?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you been in touch with Tamas?
Yes, he wants me to load the diag firmware and reset everything to 0..
It seems like the issue might be a charging issue on the bike itself, or something.
I had the bike on the trickle charger last night (all night) and this morning she seemed fine for 5 minutes.. then the sputtering began again.. not sure what could be causing this.
I'm going to disable the Motty and ride like that one time and see how she does..

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While my bike was running and on a trickle charger it was doing ok.. The idle was pretty smooth and the voltage on the terminals was at a constant 13.5v
Then I unplugged the trickle charger and whammo.. the voltage began to drop .1v at a time until it got down to about 12.4v.. then the bike stalled out..
So... The problem may well be an electrical issue. While the bike is hot I cannot get it to restart either. It appears that the battery is completely flat, but if I wait for a short while I can start it. My bike is an 07 built in April 07 I believe.
Could this be a problem with the charging gear/shaft?
I don't want to have to go through the trouble of taking it all apart, but feel I must. I don't know if the dealer will work on it after I had to cut the ECU wires to get the Motty hooked up. The warranty is still good until November though..
I also unplugged the #1 injector and started the bike up and it ran the same way it runs when the bike is running poorly.. So maybe I'm not putting enough charge to the injector or the spark plugs.. Any thoughts?

·
5,928 Posts
Tamas would be the best bloke to answer these questions, but I reckon you've got an issue with the charging system. An auto electrician could test this for you.

Highly likely that low voltage will cause the AT to misfire the injectors, but I would have thought it would have to get down to 7 - 9 volts to have this effect.

Have a chat with your auto electrician.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tamas would be the best bloke to answer these questions, but I reckon you've got an issue with the charging system. An auto electrician could test this for you.

Highly likely that low voltage will cause the AT to misfire the injectors, but I would have thought it would have to get down to 7 - 9 volts to have this effect.

Have a chat with your auto electrician.
I don't have an auto anything. I typically do my own work on everything.

I am in touch with Tamas also, and he recommended hooking up the bypass harness for the AT, so I'll try that this weekend and see if the bike behaves the same way..
I tried to disconnect the fuses for the headlights, taillights and fans, but none of the fuses in my box were the right ones. I guess my bike is "different" from the manual.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Soooo, finally got around to working on my bike and after trying to track down the problem and kept drawing blanks or more questions..
Eventually I pulled the plugs, just for giggles..
the first one I pulled was the center plug, since it was so easily accessible.. Well.. it was a nice toasted brown color. Which is perfect considering i slapped some octane booster in the last tank.
Then came plug number 1..
Well.. that one was covered with black soot and that's just the inside. The outside was covered with rust and water. The coil pack was full of water as well.. I got caught in a REALLY bad storm on June 13th. I guess my bike took on too much water..
Needless to say I cleaned it all up and got rid of my pod filters and slapped my Airbox back on and life seems to be pretty good again.. Just in time for my 1200mile ride from Memphis, TN to Paterson, NJ..

·
5,928 Posts
Just in time for my 1200mile ride from Memphis, TN to Paterson, NJ..
Not by any chance riding through the Blue Ridge Parkway ? We'll be travelling from Front Royal Va to Asheville, NC next Sunday & Monday. Quick trip through the Tail of the Dragon Tuesday, and back via the Cherohala Skyway, then on to Raleigh.

I guess, your problem was stick coil all the time then?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes it was.. and unfortunately I didn't ride the blue ridge..
I should have, but I didn't..
I ended up riding 850Miles in one day.. I just got to NJ last night.. it was a pretty good trip and thanks to my Motty I got over 40MPG US..

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
if its any consolation, I had a very similar thing happen to me on my Suzuki TLR. Power Commander got too wet, and was shorting internally. The bike was like a bucking bronco. Full throttle, no throttle, full throttle, etc.

These fuel-mixture computers are sensitive creatures, that's for sure.

-Jensen
My problem was nothing to do with teh actual Motty though, that's why I felt so bad for wasting so much of Tomas' time..
It was all in the coil pack..

·
5,928 Posts
Yes it was.. and unfortunately I didn't ride the blue ridge..
I should have, but I didn't..
I ended up riding 850Miles in one day.. I just got to NJ last night.. it was a pretty good trip and thanks to my Motty I got over 40MPG US..
You missed out. We just drove from the northern end of the Parkway, to Linville Falls. Had a grin on my dial the whole way :) So unlike anything else on the east coast. Then scooted over to I40, etc, & ended up in Robbinsville. Early next morning, I took the Tail of the Dragon - each way. An experience to remember! Maybe next time it'll be on 2 wheels :mad:
Anyone contemplating it - DO IT. Similar to the Bonang Highway - but a better road. Or the west side of Mt Hotham - but a little longer (about as tight though). Or even the Marysville side of the Reefton Spur (when Marysville still existed :( )

·
Registered
346 Posts
You missed out. We just drove from the northern end of the Parkway, to Linville Falls. Had a grin on my dial the whole way :) So unlike anything else on the east coast. Then scooted over to I40, etc, & ended up in Robbinsville. Early next morning, I took the Tail of the Dragon - each way. An experience to remember! Maybe next time it'll be on 2 wheels :mad:
Anyone contemplating it - DO IT. Similar to the Bonang Highway - but a better road. Or the west side of Mt Hotham - but a little longer (about as tight though). Or even the Marysville side of the Reefton Spur (when Marysville still existed :( )
The whole area up there from Virginia to the northern mountains of Georgia is a gold mine of sweet roads and sights. There are roads similar to The Dragon with names like The Snake (US421) The Rattler (NC181)...you get the point, that cross the parkway or are not far from it. Most of 'em are well marked on maps, some are even 4 lanes so you don't get stuck behind slowpokes on Hogs or farmer John! :doh: A motorcycle Mecca:bow: Did you happen to travel the Cherohala Skyway outside of Robbinsville? That's another top road to ride or drive. I'm anywhere from 1-3 hours from all that stuff!:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts