Benelli Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..... well it more like sitting on my arse scoffing a packet of quavers and getting sunburned:rolling:
The weather was friggin glorious today but unfortunately for my first lesson it was a bit too breezy so it looks like we have lift off tomorrow. I watched a bloke going up in a hanglider and I nearly crapped my pants just watching him. One fella who had quite a bit of experience did manage to get up in the air, gained a lot of height and flew backwards over the top of a hill. He emerged about twenty minutes later asking if if anyone had a first aid kit as he got dragged backwards and scrapped himself to buggery. I know I shouldn't have but I found that quite funny. Watching his face screw up as he was giving himself a wipe down was hilarious.
The forcast for tomorrow is meant to be perfect so hopefully I'll achieve lift off if all goes well. knowing my luck I'll fall in some sheep shit:rolling:

Al:D

·
Registered
27 Posts
hopefully you will get in the air ,with no problems,i had a few crashes and seen a few,just wait and you will see some jets coming over head ,very scary.

·
Fyule
697 Posts
Hi Al

Enjoy it when you finally get in the air! It wasn't a bad day to sit around watching the sky though, I have this horrible idea you were lolling about in a pair of St Andrews styleee Boxers!!!!hope the sunburn heals OK.
Fraser

·
1,231 Posts
Roundabout answer

Did it give you flashbacks to when you got dragged backwards over that roundabout? JK!!!! I am glad you are goingt to try something that most will only dream about. I will tell you this AL...once you get hooked by the flying bug it is worse tha drugs! Nothing can fill that void and you will want it more and more! Sleepless night...dreaming constantly...bland tasting food...nothing will be the same until you get your flying fix!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Sounds all too familiar! Hope you had a good day today.
Spent a lot of time "ground-handling" when it was windy... getting the chute up facing it with the lines crossed, then when you are ready switching round and running for it. I expect you will be tired and sunburnt tonight. Hope you got up (in the air!).

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Thought we might have heard back from the big bad boy by now. Hope he's not come a cropper!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
....or the branch of a tree :rolling:

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well lads I did get airborne, not for long though but next weekend we move further up the hill. What a strange feeling it is getting that chute up. In only a few steps the bugger is up over your head and then you get told to run as fast as you can, you can feel the wind starting to lift you and then your footsteps become lighter on the ground and then you're flying:D I didn't get that much height as we were on the nursery slope so to speak but next weekend if the weather's right then we should get a better idea of what it's like to really soar.
You're right JR about the bug of flying. We were watching some guys taking off and they came flying over our heads and the strange thing is I thought flying a paraglider would be silent but it's not. The wind whistling through the lines is great and I can't wait to be competent enough to get some real gliding in.
I'm bloody sunburned to f*ck and knackered but I'm still on a little high from the whole experience. Can't wait for next weekend to come around already:D

Al:)

·
Fyule
697 Posts
Superb Al, sounds like fun, I imagine getting any 'air' would be great feeling, hope the weather holds out for you to have a more prolonged flight next weekend.
I guess you will be peeling by Tuesday - unless of course you use that most manly of things...moisturiser!
Cheers, Fraser

·
Registered
27 Posts
well done mate,was it a running launch,its a great feeling when you are holding the canopy in front of you, then you have to get it above your head then go,when there is no wind you have to run like hell.

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well done mate,was it a running launch,its a great feeling when you are holding the canopy in front of you, then you have to get it above your head then go,when there is no wind you have to run like hell.

It was a running launch Tony although we were shown how to do a reverse launch yesterday. I think next week we'll be doing the reverse launch as we'll have more wind to use with us being higher up in the hill (thank christ because all that running can't be good for you:rolling: ). The walk up the hill can be bloody knackering but it's all worth it:bow:

Al;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
reverse launch is a great feeling,once the canopy is up yoo just go,i have had a few bad crashes but i never broke anything,i dont have time anymore,i wish i did ,good luck mate.

·
TnT explosive tester
1,011 Posts
Sounds great Al

Where are you doing this?

You passed me and the missus at dobbies at 7 ish

1 - 18 of 18 Posts