Benelli Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed on my '05 Tornado.
Screwed to the outside of the airbox at the front (just behind the steering stem) is an electrical device - looks like some kind of transducer. It's held to the airbox by two screws and is rubber mounted.
Anybody know what it is, 'cos mine's not connected to anything!

Just curious
Cheers,
neil

·
1,841 Posts
Mystery thing ??!!

Hi the "thing" is the "fallover switch" or "tip switch" It is there to shut the engine off if you fall off !
I believe i have read on early posts that the switch can cause cutting out and so somepeople have dissconected it.
My bike "04 RS" new "june 06" has it fitted and connected and has caused no problems..
Hope this answers your question..:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Solved!

Thanks, Colin -
I was wondering if it might be one of those, because it rattles when shaken!!
Another mystery solved.....
Neil

·
5,963 Posts
Tip Over Switch

The 03 Tre tipover switch was mounted solidly to the airbox (the current ones may be as well). At v. high revs, the mechanical switch would rattle open/closed, and tell the ECU that it was tipped over, which would then kill the engine. Cycling the kill or ignition switches would wake up the ECU again. This happened to me on my first ride of a demo bike.

Benelli "solved" the problem by disconnecting it, and putting a jumper cable in it's place on the loom. Not very smart!

JohnnyO (then the rest of us) solved it by mounting the unit on sponge, and holding it in place with a tie-rap. Mine has never triggered erroneously.

The Japanese use a mercury switch instead of the Italian mechanical one. Lateral thinking. A bit like the US developing a pressurised ball-point pen in order to write in space. While the Russians just used lead pencils!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts