Benelli Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I got stuck in traffic a few weeks back and the nelli dropped some coolant. I topped back up (didnt seem to take much) but ever since Im having problems with it running hot in holiday traffic and dropping coolant again. Drained the coolant and it was clean (not oily or anything) and replaced with a new coolant mix. Could only get about 2 and a bit litres in despite trying to get the bike as low as I could left and right. When the bike sits there idling it goes from 90-95 degrees with the fan coming on and off as it should and it doesnt overheat. Took it out for a run on a warm summer early eve in town traffic. When I pulled over it started overheating again and dropped some coolant :-( The seal on the rad cap looks iffy and may be the old size 22mm. When bled properly does it take the 2.5- 3 litres it should hold? Would a combination of air in the system and bad rad cap cause it to overheat like it is? Missing all the sun at the moment :-(

·
1,841 Posts
My rs spat fluid once in traffic, were the fans running when it did it ? my fans had not come on and I found the coil feed wire to the relay under the seat was not on (just touching) its ok now.

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Hi Steve, I've never used the 'lean' technique to get the air out of the coolant system. I just fill her up to the top of the rad cap then i hold my hand over the top and squeeze the large water hoses that come out of the bottom of the radiator.

If the water level then drops a bit, top her back up and do the same thing again until the water level stops dropping. Keep an eye open that you are not just pumping the coolant into the expansion tank when you are doing this. The idea is to create a bit movement by squeezing the rubber hoses which helps to move the air up the system.

I'd replace that rubber sealant washer also if you think that it's the old type. This could be letting the coolant escape which may be contributing to the overheating problem if you lose enough of it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My rs spat fluid once in traffic, were the fans running when it did it ? my fans had not come on and I found the coil feed wire to the relay under the seat was not on (just touching) its ok now.
Hi bud, yeah the fans come on and off no problem so pretty sure its not that. Im hoping that its got air in the system and the rad cap is the original one with the small seal.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Steve, I've never used the 'lean' technique to get the air out of the coolant system. I just fill her up to the top of the rad cap then i hold my hand over the top and squeeze the large water hoses that come out of the bottom of the radiator.

If the water level then drops a bit, top her back up and do the same thing again until the water level stops dropping. Keep an eye open that you are not just pumping the coolant into the expansion tank when you are doing this. The idea is to create a bit movement by squeezing the rubber hoses which helps to move the air up the system.

I'd replace that rubber sealant washer also if you think that it's the old type. This could be letting the coolant escape which may be contributing to the overheating problem if you lose enough of it.

Do you know how much you got in it Laurence? I only managed to get in a tad over two litres, if it takes about two and half the overheating must be down to an air lock, hopefully :confused:

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
I can't recall Steve, I just kept on filling her up until she wouldn't take any more.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok bud cheers. Ill try and get hold of a new cap then empty and refill and try again :doh:

·
5,934 Posts
I've had my water pump hoses off, draining her completely. Refilling took just a smidgen under 3 litres.

I've used Lawrence's method of squeezing the hoses, but still found that leaning her left, top up, right, top up, gets the last of the air out. When you lean it, the lower fairing should nearly touch the floor, so you'll need help.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've had my water pump hoses off, draining her completely. Refilling took just a smidgen under 3 litres.

I've used Lawrence's method of squeezing the hoses, but still found that leaning her left, top up, right, top up, gets the last of the air out. When you lean it, the lower fairing should nearly touch the floor, so you'll need help.

If you can get in nearly three litres mate, then thats probably my problem. Must have the dreaded airlock in it. Not gonna touch it till I get a new rad cap. Anyone have Benetts telephone number? :clap:

·
mid life crisis merchant
897 Posts
Hi Steve, you can reach bennetts on 01226 284293.
I found that the best way to top nelli up if you can manage it is to get the back of the bike way up into the air ( about 2-3 feet!) there was no probs with air blockages after I'd finished.

Johnny :cool:

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
get the back of the bike way up into the air ( about 2-3 feet!) there was no probs with air blockages after I'd finished.
Yeah, but I bet you had a sore back for weeks :rolling:

·
5,934 Posts
I found that the best way to top nelli up if you can manage it is to get the back of the bike way up into the air ( about 2-3 feet!) there was no probs with air blockages after I'd finished.
That's a pretty decent stoppy. You've got some skill there mate.:clap:
Damn sure I'd have no blockages either after that:D

·
mid life crisis merchant
897 Posts
Hey and I managed it with a slipped disc!!!
gary rothwells got nowt on me, next stop world stunt championships ;) .

Johnny :cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts