Benelli Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have recently purchased a Tornado903TRE 2005 in silver an green, It is stunning in every way!! I wondered if any one has had this before where its so hard to go from 1st gear to neautral when engine running? and the clutch lever has a pulsing feeling when going down the gears? i have been told its the slipper clutch? but is this common? Thanks for your feed back :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
I find that I CANNOT get the transmission to shift into neutral while the engine is running so you're doing better then me! :rolling:

But seriously, when does it pop out? On acceleration? When stopped?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clutch?? Pulsing??

Damm that was a quick reply!! It does not pop out of gear, just hard to go from 1st to neautral while it is running. and whay does the clutch lever pulse when going down the gears, not blasting the bike hard, just going down gears as normal.? :D

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Sounds about the same as all the rest to me !!!!!!!!

Seriously though they are all like that, youll get used to it and MAKE SURE YOU GET THE CABLE SET RIGHT as per Errols website description and the owners manual. Then itll go into neutral while on the move, use the search facility on this forum using either the word, clutch or neutral, and enjoy the reading,
Oh and welcome to the forum its a mine of information,
Steve.

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Neautral

Hi Guys,

I like what I am reading, it seems Neautral is just to start the bike and a lottery win is more to happen than selecting this ghostly cog whilst stopped !! is the clutch pulsing a normal thing? my mind is near relaxed as i was worried a monster repair bill was on its way !!! an the bike only doe 3500miles from new.. Its a stunning bike tho, I have had R6,Fireblades,Triumphs,CBR's of all sizes but every1 has those... My new love is green and silver and no other biker has one near me.. she is a special bunny, and she rides like J-LO... well thats a guess anyway LOL
Thanks for your tips gents :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,

Based In Hertfordshire about 20Miles north of the lovley M25... Got a few nice roads nearby, but if you hear of scratching roads. please drop me a link :)

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Welcome to 'THE' Benelli forum mate.. :)

·
T900 TRE is the plate!
434 Posts
Welcome to the site. Good choice of colour.....Benelli's signature colour. Don't let the reds and yellows try to convince you otherwise:p ....Benelli is a rare bike and the green/silver makes it stand out more than any other colour.

Had Tornado's for 7 years now and never let neutral issues:rolling: bother me. You just adapt to it.

Just finished a service on mine and did a 50 mile round trip ride to Thor M/C in Bodmin, looks as if we will be gaining a Benelli dealer in Bodmin area this year. Didn't bother to go higher than 4th gear all the way back........high revving fun and a hoot around the twisties....killed a couple thousand flies and loved every minute of it:D

Dave

·
Registered
256 Posts
Pulsing though the clutch lever is normal, but you soon get used to it. Neutral is hard to find due to gearing cut design where it is not desirable to find neutral when racing an shifting between 1st and 2nd. Some will say it is a knack to find it when rolling to a stop, but although mine can flick between 1st and 2nd when rolling to a stop getting it to stop in the middle is a right royal pain in the ****:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts
Pulsing though the clutch lever is normal, but you soon get used to it. Neutral is hard to find due to gearing cut design where it is not desirable to find neutral when racing an shifting between 1st and 2nd. Some will say it is a knack to find it when rolling to a stop, but although mine can flick between 1st and 2nd when rolling to a stop getting it to stop in the middle is a right royal pain in the ****:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
I think you missed the word A R S E ! :rolleyes:

:rolling:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
5,931 Posts
First of all, welcome to our motley crew. I'm sure you'll find it one of the better forums that grace the web.
.. is the clutch pulsing a normal thing?
Start worrying when you don't feel this any more. The cable is about to break.

If you change to a hydraulic clutch, you may get more travel in the clutch plates, which reduces the drag & makes neutral easier to select. Worked for me, but I ended up with a heavier clutch.

You could get the same effect by changing the lever for one with more travel (don't know if such a thing is available)

You could also modify the actuating lever at the gearbox. If you make it shorter, you'll get more travel.

Of course, if you increase the travel, you've got to check that the end plate remains engaged in the clutch bell. Probably not good if you exceed it.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Hi,
the pulsing of the clutch lever is very apparent on mine and not something i have come across before. I always tend to blip the throttle on down-changes but if any thing makes the pulsing worse. Seems mine prefers a constant throttle when going down the box.

As far as getting into neutral is concerned, mine is not too bad (an 03 but with new clutch basket) Neutral is fairly elusive unless clicking it in just as you stop rolling (not always easy) Alternatively from a standstill a quick blip on the throttle as you click it up often works. (unless of course lots of people are watching in which case it never works!)

Just the joys of owning a piece of italian art....

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Ianh, no need to blip the throttle, thats the beauty of a slipper clutch, just change down to which ever gear you want and let it out, the clutch will sort the revs out for you.
Its weird at first, especially when you go down a couple of gears, that would normally be enough to have the back wheel jumping around, but it works really well.
The thing I am not sure on, is if it should be used a lot, will it have a detrimental effect on the clutch mechanism, perhaps Errol or one of our other technical experts could answer that, regards Steve.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
cheers steve,
appreciate that the slipper clutch should negate the need to blip the throttle, its just a habit i have got into after so many large 4 strokes.
(i do it in the car too....a bit sad as its only a Rover 75!)

Had a TL1000S not long ago, and being a big v-twin that too had a sort of slipper clutch (think they dubbed it a "back torque eliminator") However that did nowt strange at the lever, unlike the benelli.
as i say...all part of the character...

·
5,931 Posts
, is if it should be used a lot, will it have a detrimental effect on the clutch mechanism, ..
It'll certainly wear out faster than one without a slipper. It is slipping afterall, on occasions, so it is wearing. Just how much, I have no idea. Small price to pay, I reckon, for more stable rear grip.

·
Registered
131 Posts
It'll certainly wear out faster than one without a slipper. It is slipping afterall, on occasions, so it is wearing. Just how much, I have no idea. Small price to pay, I reckon, for more stable rear grip.
Errol you've done more miles than most, have you had to replace the clutch plates yet ??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts