Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help, - I'm so pissed off and disapointed it's not real!!!

My 01 busa was picked up today by 3x (I'm in derby, they are in dorset!), they dropped off my 04 yellow tnt.

It's apparently had the 06 remap and clocks swapped.

However, on delivery, the driver said - don't leave the kill switch on as the clocks are live and will drain the battery. - So the paperwork was swapped and I legged it on my dinner to get the tax to ride it home.

When I got back I though, I thought I'd fire it up to see what position the kill switch was in, then make sure it was off so the battery was ok to get home.

It fired up and sounds nice (a little raspy, but that's probably normal for a tripple) it tried idling around 1.5K and stalled, (couldn't see a manual choke).

Tried starting it again, the battery then gave up, or appeared to.

I phoned 3x and told them (they sounded supprised and said it ran fine in the morning), I said I'd put it on the charger at work.

The Acumen charger went straight to test mode, where it charges the battery then let's it run down to see if it will hold a charge. It was on that for about 3 hours. - Then it was home time....

Battery back on, wouldn't start, just died again.

Hooked it up to my mates van battery and jumped it (as bump starting it didn't work), finally after loads of back firing etc, got it running.

Sounds shit, sounded like it was miss-firing and out of sync for about 30 seconds, before stalling. Then I could not get it going again, in the following 15 mins I tried.

3x were closed, left the bike at work and got a lift home.

Gutted, big time, really gutted.

Plan to order a new battery tomorrow and try that, but now I fear the worst that I've been sold a dud that will be in and out of service all summer.

Red light was flashing on and off on dash and on the first attempt the dash gave BAT and OIL warnings, then towards the final tries, just BAT warnings.

Can't see how the battery would cause it to run rought and out of sync and not idle.

Feedback help advice anything, feeling well low, am currently getting pissed up!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Hi Uniquefreak,
Sorry to hear your troubles:( :(
Firstly the BAT OIL flashing is normal, so is the red light flashing. The oil light would have gone out as cranking the engine would have built the oil pressure up.
The headlights should turn on with the ignition but after a second or so turn OFF. This I`m sure is to save battery power until thew engine is running.
DONT use the throttle when starting.
I keep mine on an optimate all the time and have never had trouble starting it.
I have never left the kill switch off and havent heard of this before but maybe someone else has.
Has it fresh fuel in it? Unleaded has a short lifespan before it goes OFF
Do you have an alarm fitted?
Did you have one fitted before it was delivered?
Had a Meta fitted to mine as Red dog M/C`s suggested this was the only type (at the time) that was OK with the TNT.
Don`t give up as when it`s running it`s a fantastic bike:clap: :clap: :clap:

·
Registered
736 Posts
Another thought is did they upload the latest map because they did some other mods like the cooling fan upgrade.
I have a feeling that this requires an update to the mapping but I maybe wrong.
Speak to the guys at KJM as they are the official importers and have been a great help when I have had a query.

·
I'm firing on three
611 Posts
HI, don’t panic first when the ignition is on but the engine is not running the red light flashes and the dial flashes oil, this stops when the engine is running and is normal. :)
Unfortunately it is very easy to flatten a TNT battery even if it is perfect and fully charged you get about four 6 second attempts after this a dead battery, this has been improved a lot on the 06 models with different starter components.
Now you said it ran fine the 1st time then after stopping and starting later you had backfires and a rough running engine…… if it was a fuel problem you would normally see the FI light staying on even when running and assuming you have decent petrol in it (not shitty supermarket cheap stuff) then I would look at the ignition most probably the stick coil (bet its cylinder 2) a quick test to prove this is to jump start the bike if you can, run it for about 10 secs and switch off now feel the downpipes about 75mm from the engine if a coil has gone then one of the pipes will be cold (the one which has the broken coil) the other two will burn your hand (so be careful).
The “choke” as sorts is automatic (all to do with air temperatures and vacuums ..Boring boring)
Finally to stop the bike you should always turn off by the kill switch first then the ignition switch, although I personally have tried both ways and found no difference.
Keep us posted on the outcome.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Starting problems on delivery

Thanks guys, this is all extremely helpful and positive. The alarm is a standard meta v2. It does all seem battery related, it was just a suprise that it ran so shitty on the second start using jump leads. I guess as the injection is electric controlled that maybe the lack of power from the battery when the leads were removed, caused the iregular tick over.

I'm gonna get a new battery tomorrow and charge it till Thursday, then try again. It's had the remap and new clocks ( so I'm told - is there a way to confirm this )

Either way it's a mission I'm gonna see through and the comments are much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
I've posted on t'other site regarding your woes, the kill switch method is a known way to stop a gradual battery drain as it seems to break the electrical circuit. Hopefully the new battery will sort out your problems, god knows how long this bike would have been sat at 3X gathering dust in the corner of their showroom!

Good luck fella!

Andy

·
Registered
32 Posts
See what battery you buy...
best one known is the YUASA.
Anyway, make sure your battery delivers 14Amps & 12Volts.

P.S:/ i have a 04 model, i went through the same shiiiiiiiiiit...so i feel your pain

·
Registered
263 Posts
you have a pm but just to repeat the battery is a bit crap

Even just starting it up a couple of times to say to your mates "listen to this!"

will kill it

I started it a couple of times when I bought mine, left it in the garage a couple of days

I'd killed it

Was trying to work out how to reset the trip one day and with a few jabs of buttons whilst ignition on

I killed it

It was round my mates house for a few days whilst I need the space, he went to start it -

it was dead!!!

Mine lives on life support whenever not in use. Meanwhile my 1200 bandit is just fine!!!!

Other than that, check how many bars the fuel guage says, or visually inspect the tank. Fresh fuel might be a good idea but the bike has done a few miles so I am sceptical about stale fuel, more likely the robbing bastards at 3X left it empty.

Honest, you can't start and stop these bikes. They don't like it, or getting hot, or towns, or people....

Hey welcome to exotic motorcycling!!

It'll be fine, but after trying all these suggestions, get help KJM are cool. My mates bike that sold on ebay had a wiring problem and they were very helpful, sent a manual down and advised over the phone.

As I said, worst case scenario check the wiring behind the headlight to make sure it hasn't worn through and caused a problem - has been known

Looks like 3X may not be the saints after all - they won't even service mine so I wonder how good the 'pre delivery check' was??

The worst that can happen is that we're both back on Jap bikes by the end of the year!!!

In the meantime, fix it and live the dream/nightmare. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another day of let downs

Here's today's fun and games:

Today I purchased a new Euroglobe battery from County Batteries in Kirby. It was a direct equiverlent of the YUASA model currently fitted to the bike. I couldn't get a 14amp as it was a bigger battery that would not fit in the battery box.

Although the replacement battery was new, I charged it for 6 hours at work on a new Acumen charger, which showed the battery as fully charged.

I fitted the battery to the bike at 6PM on leaving work. I then turned on the ignition. Deactivated the Meta imoboliser (the same model I have fitted to my GSXR1300), I then turned the kill switch to the active position. I then put the kick stand up, ensured the bike was in netural (confirmed by the dash light and the fact I wheeled in out of the car park). I then pressed the starter button for about 7 seconds, with no throttle. The bike did not start, just turned over.

(I check fule was in the tank)

I then tried again for another 5-6 seconds, still nothing. I then turned the ignition, kill switch off, then back on again to let the system reset.

I tried again and it sounded like it was about to kick up, however it still didn't run when I released the starter button.

I tried 3 more times on the final two times I tried a little throttle, which only cause popping and banging from the exhaust, on which the power was clearly being drained from the battery as it was turning over slower and slower until nothing and the battery wqs flat.

The bike now remains at work, again I had to get a lift home.

Keith the MD from 3x phone me this morning in repsonce to my e-mail to them last night about the first attempt. Very nice bloke, offered me advice on how to start it, said it had been ridden on the morning before they delivered it and that they would collect it, refund me for the batttery I purchased and loan me a bike while they looked at it. - I don't want a loan bike as I'm only insured 3rd party on loan or hire bikes. I've sent them details of todays issues.

I'm currently drinking a large bottle of Grants whiskey! and beating the dog with a torque wrench!

·
Registered
263 Posts
My advice is to take all you can get from 3X to sort it. If they'll pick it up you can't say fairer than that

At the end of the day it's got to be fit for purpose - Sale of Goods Act etc etc

Give them a time limit to sort it though.

·
Super Moderator
7,781 Posts
Hi Aidrian,

Sorry to hear of your troubles so soon after taking delivery. I guess you've proved that It's not battery related so my money is on a duff stick coil as previously suggested.

Hopefully 3x will have it sussed pretty quick and get you back on the road soon.

·
463 Posts
Sorry to hear your troubles, give them 1 chance to sort it then ask for your money back, would be a pity though because when it,s running properly it,s fantastic.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds all too familiar! I've put a complete set of new coil sticks in, bought a new battery(not a Yuasa which I should have bought!), had the fan kit, idle adjuster and map upgrade done and it still gives me shit! I have a pouch strapped to the backseat with a spare battery in it which is a life saver and only have one headlight and sidelight connected when on dipped beam. It is working a lot better now and have got the starter gear upgrade kit on order which should improve things and will probably next upgrade the battery leads. This is a great bike when it goes..........Good luck!

·
Registered
332 Posts
kill switch

Hi

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I've got the same model. What worked for me was fitting the fan kit and tickover adjuster along with the map, and setting the tickover high (1500rpm), which helps cure the problem of it stalling when coasting up to lights. I know manuals are manuals, but the manual says

"engine stop switch. It is used to switch off the engine in an emergency. Under normal conditions, do not use this switch to shut off the engine."

It's a funny switch, it seems to kill all the electrics, not just the ignition. I was told never to use it, and I don't.

Mine starts well on no throttle, but it will only start with a near-perfect battery. Also worth checking that the headlight goes onto side only with the engine off, and only one headlight with it on - I think this is an early mod that your bike might have missed. If you use the bike all the time, the battery should stay up, but if I leave mine more than a week or 2 it will need charging. Once stopped, best not to try to restart for about 5 minutes....

Good luck with the bike. It's worth staying at it, they are a hoot to ride. I've got 3 bikes sat out front, and each morning I pick the TNT, and that's for a miserable London commute.

·
Registered
130 Posts
check these

if there`s a power commander, try the tnt map.. standard map..

if not, it would be worth buying one,, it`s goog anyway, got one on mine.

second,, check the side stand sensor,, never know...

also, check the connections to the 3 injectors,, one might be loose.. also the trottle position sensor connector..

i will be a sily thing, i`m sure when u`ll find it.. the few things that can stop a bike to start,, is NO FUEL IN THE CYLINDER,, NO SPARK from the sparkplugs, or at the WRONG TIME.. ON NO COMPRESSION..

see if ur fuel pump is working,, and ur spark plugs firing....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bowing out!!

Hi Guys,

Firstly, thank you all for you comments, the support during the disapointment was much appreciated.

It is unfortunate however, that I have choosen to bow out of the clan of Benelli owners...

It has been agreed between myself and Keith at 3x that it would be more appropriate for us to exhange bikes back. So that I can enjoy a reliable summer on the road.

I noticed that many of you guys have more than one bike, sadly this is my only bike, so I need it to run on the button. The early let downs have really hurt my opinon of the bike.

3X Have actually been pretty fantasic through out and although i can't comment on why / how this all happend, (as they say all was fine the morning the dispatched it) I can only say that I should end up back where I started, less some minor expenses.

Thanks guys, I wish you all the best and commend you all for sticking with it instead of chucking in the towle like me!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,sounds like you have my bikes evil twin,mine is also an04 yellow bike and did exactly what you have described in November last year.KJM sorted it for me and I have to say they were great.Apparently the ecu dropped its program or map possibly due to jump starting from a car (maybe just because it felt like it as well).Anyway they reprogrammed it,moved the air temp sensor out of the airbox,fitted the cooling fans to the outside of the radiator,fitted a modified starter motor,fitted an idle adjuster screw then I got it back and doubled all the battery/solenoid/starter cables (including the earths)oh and a new TPS,a lot of which Benelli paid for.My battery is a Yuasa and was good.Now the bike is absoloutely the best thing I have ever ridden by a long way and I've had some great bikes,reliable fast and sooooo much fun.Don't despair it is worth it in the end.KJM did say they had seen another bike do exactly the same as mine.Good luck and I hope just charging the battery works for you.

·
Super Moderator
7,781 Posts
Too bad it didn't work out for you Aidrian. :bawl:

If there was a prize for the 'shortest length of time for owning a Benelli', it would be on it's way to you right now. :rolling:

I think I'll start a new Poll.......................................... 'has anyone kept their Benelli for less than 48 hours?'

1 - 20 of 28 Posts