Benelli Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
6,025 Posts
The drum play is fine. The slipper mechanism is the cause, but of no consequence.
The rattle in the basket is the cush springs. Those of the 2003 basket are loose. Some more than others. It is nothing to worry about unless they have worn through the alloy base. (pics here). The later baskets had far less play and were quieter in operation as a consequence.

·
6,025 Posts
Unfortunately, after a deeper check from a professional radiatorist, radiator revealed to be completly clogged from the same material found on the pipes.
The guy said that was most probably due to use of mixed -uncompatible- coolant types and/or leak stop liquids. Result: radiator and water pump to be thrown in the bin....
Before you throw the radiator into the bin, try cleaning it with Tectaloy Plus HD2 Radiator Flush. Tectaloy is part of the Illinois Toolworks, so it may be available on your side of the globe. It's serious stuff. It's corrosive & not to be touched. You definitely don't want to be leaving it in the radiator for an extended period. It may dissolve your muck, or it may not, but it's worth a try. Tornado radiators are worth saving if at all possible.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The drum play is fine. The slipper mechanism is the cause, but of no consequence.
The rattle in the basket is the cush springs. Those of the 2003 basket are loose. Some more than others. It is nothing to worry about unless they have worn through the alloy base. (pics here). The later baskets had far less play and were quieter in operation as a consequence.
What a relief. I went through your bible pages but I wasn't sure about chutch cush springs' wear limits.....Grazie Engenia!!!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Before you throw the radiator into the bin, try cleaning it with Tectaloy Plus HD2 Radiator Flush. Tectaloy is part of the Illinois Toolworks, so it may be available on your side of the globe. It's serious stuff. It's corrosive & not to be touched. You definitely don't want to be leaving it in the radiator for an extended period. It may dissolve your muck, or it may not, but it's worth a try. Tornado radiators are worth saving if at all possible.
From an initial research, it seems that that brand is not available in Europe. Searching for the data sheet, it has 30%-60% of citric acid.
I'll definetly try a good similar product available in EU....

Marco

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Buy a spring off ebay (eg. #222588404129) selecting 0.9x5x300 then cut off 70 mm, filing the ends flat. Cheap as chips and works a treat. Problem solved.
You're amazing....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
@freeatlast Just copy/paste numbers on ebay search toolbar....

·
6,025 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Today I received a second hand water pump. Conditions are definetly good, in particular if compared to the one I took apart...

Automotive tire White Light Product Automotive lighting

I started to remount the pump, with the nice pieces of the upgraded kit.
Result is nice looking and I hope worthy too, useful and functional....
I also took the chance to move the sidestand switch cable routing behind the pump.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle brake Tire Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Vehicle brake Gas

Z25 gear and shaft removed. Actually it took a bit of effort since the gear was quite stuck with the shaft (found thread locker between shaft and gear).
I applied the "Redbaron's method" technique, with M5 rod. It worked very well.
Posted here...
Gideon's Tornado Rebuild - thought you might be...

I compared the sets and I was able to spot all the differences I was expecting to see.
Gear finish... The new one, most likely due to it's one of the latest batches, doesn't have any mark or arrow to align with the shaft.

Gear Font Bicycle part Auto part Household hardware

Gear thickness....older is thinner.

Wood Rectangle Font Material property Gas

Different gear theet shape..

Wood Automotive tire Engineering Gas Flooring

Single shaft lubrication hole vs 2 holes...

Rectangle Wood Line Wall Font

Not visible, new Z25 gear has a smaller diameter compared to the old one(-1/10mm)

Some new bits arrived.....water manifold was too corroded and....hooled...

Cylinder Wood Tints and shades Metal Monochrome photography

Tomorrow the new radiator should be delivered. I discovered it is manufacured by a well known Austrian motorbike brand....:rolleyes:

Finger crossed.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Ceeeeee.....I'll be very proud and honoured to be on your website!!!
Sure, feel free to use the pics on your convenience. If you need higher res just let me know.
Really happy to help the community...

Reactions: RobShed

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
Yesterday the new radiator arrived.
Did you know that it's NOT "Made in Italy"?? It's Made in ....Mattinghofen (AUSTRIA), by KTM !!!!

Bicycle part Bicycle frame Material property Carbon Bumper

Wood Grille Font Gas Automotive exterior

I also had the possibility to compare small differences in the connection pipes....easier connection.

Gas Machine Grille Metal Home appliance

I compared inside view of the brand new radiator with the clogged one...
Debris, rust and slime....I could only immagine the heat exchange capabilities of the clogged one...close to 0.

Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part Rim

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Wheel Synthetic rubber

Reactions: michael.w.holzer
21 - 40 of 59 Posts