Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having seen that someone on here has managed to get a Micron R6 can to fit their Tornado, i took a chance and bought one for the GSXR1000K5/6 off Ebay. (£100 brand spankers from George Whites)
I am well pleased with the results...

The fit is pretty good, with the bracket mounting to the footpeg with just a little tweak to clear the swingarm. The dia of the can where it joins the exhaust is such that it currently fits inside the exhaust (quite a neat fit but not ideal) However i know of a local car exhaust repairer/maker who should be able to expand the end of the can so that it fits as per the std can.

Not ridden yet but initial impressions are that whilst not road legal its not stupidly loud, but will have to wait and see!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
aye, as you can probably tell it was going dark by the time i got to take the pics....will try and get a few more over the weekend.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Modern

I was going to do the same chap. But I decided it sounds sweet enough standard.:D
It looks just the dogs as I suspected.:clap:
Best pipe I've seen so far. Very modern brings the bike up to date...a bargain too. :)
Just hope it runs okay for you?;)

Would look better on a red Tornado tho'...

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers Klinker....
Will have to wait and see how it runs, but it does sound even nicer than std...

Dont think it would look as good on red'un tho, much nicer on the original and best!

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Micron

And Ian...
George Whites own's Micron and they were fitting these to the GSXR's as extra's to flog a few extra bikes.;)

That's why they have a surplus.:)

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought Micron had gone bust??

Assumed this was just old stock as they have similar offers for R6 cans, though for £120-£150

Good service, ordered late friday afternnon, delivered Monday, by courier,for £10.

·
Registered
61 Posts
hi Ian

It may have been my bike you saw, if it was then I'm glad it inspired you do do the same.
Regards Paul

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
That looks really good! :clap: The curve reflects the curve of the swinging arm, rather than the straightness of the standard Arrow. Pretty amazing that it is such a close fit, but the connection to the collector needs sorting. What is the actual outside diameter of the link pipe, where it goes into the collector?
It looks big enough that it may not be too loud. Is it not stamped road legal?
Does it have detachable baffles?
So many questions...:rolling:

Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Paul, Yup, thats the one!
Yours looks very nice in the polished finish, mine is in the satin.

ian,
dont know off-hand the dia of the can where it goes into the collector.
(No link pipe is required though)
However, it is a snug fit inside the collector. The collector has two "skins", with the std pipe fitting between. A little opeing up of the can will allow it to fit as std.
No detachable baffle.
Its is marked not for road use (though this appears to be printed on, so assume i will be able to "polish" it off.....)

As stated earlier, it does not seem stupidly loud, least not at a standstill.
(micron rate it at 105db for the gixer)

Ian

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Looks nice Ian. Well done mate.. :clap:

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ooohhh dear....it all went a little wrong!
Went to get the end of the can expanded to fit the collector and it cracked....bugger...
had to cut the end of the can off and weld on a new length of tube, so not the easy fit i had hoped for!
in hindsight it was a mistake to take to car exhaust maker/repairer, just dont think they are used to dealing with comparatively lightweight materials.

Anyhow, pretty much sorted now.
It is loud..... but not offensively so (least not to my ears!) ...fortunately the "not for road use" lettering was nothing more than a sticker and soon removed. I am fortunate to live in Co Durham where we enjoy a rather more enlightended police force than many have to endure, however if veturing to popular biking destinations such as sherburn will have to refit the std pipe.
A quick blat yesterday did not reveal any fuelling issues, just a very nice crisp howl with a lovely cackle on the overrun.

Overall, well pleased...

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
....just a very nice crisp howl with a lovely cackle on the overrun....
Err.. Sounds like ya have a bit of a witch there mate.. :rolling:
Maybe a Halloween special.. :doh:

Does look nice, hope ta see it in the flesh and hear it's howling cackle..:D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi guys / Ian

When I converted my Yamaha R6 Micron I had a transition pipe make up out of stainless steel to get it to fit. The pipe was only 100mm long with a 5 degree bend to kick the silencer over towards the swinging aram to keep it neat.
The Micron's are hydraulically form hence the s/s is very thin, treat it with respect!
Glad to see you got there in the end Ian.

Regards Paul

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cheers paul.
had not appreciated just how delicate the steel was but sorted in the end.
DBMG....sorry but most definatley a cackle!

Ian

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
What for?

Sorry, but this sounds like alot of nuckle bleeding and swearing too me for a loud din with little gain.:doh:
Sounds nice as it is.

Take a leaf out of my book of advances to try on the wife...it reads "To try is to fail".:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Keeping it standard,:clap:
Klinker.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Each to their own ....but...
in my opinion....

better looks
better noise ... and

weighs about 1/3 to 1/2 of that of the std can.
therefore well worth a bit of agrro!:duel:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts