Benelli Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,took the nelli out today for a quick spin whilst it is still dry and mild,on my return home i was looking around the bike and i noticed that there is slight marks on the left hand side of the rear tyre,i can only presume that this is the chain rubbing against it.I checked the chain slack and all seems ok,there is rather a lot of movement of the chain on the rear sprocket and the chain does seem like it has alot of sideways movement aswell.This to me sounds like a knackered chain,the bike only has 3800 miles on it,does this sound like not many miles for this to happen or is the o/e chain crap.Could anybody recommend a suitable replacement.Elsewhere on the forum i have read about using 520 pitch rather than 525,what are the advantages for either one over the other,other than weight saving. :confused:

·
5,928 Posts
Have you checked your alignment? If it's badly off, the chain will touch.

The OEM chain on mine was crap, it did last 20,000 km though.
I replaced it with an RK GXW that's now done the same. The way it's wearing, I expect to get 40,000 from it. I did replace the front sprocket recently though. The wear rate was increasing, but has since settled down.

A ProOiler has helped to extend the life. A ScottOiler was fitted for the original within the first 2,000 km.

Unless you're racing, and need the absolute max acceleration (a lighter chain will have a lower inertia), all the 520 chain will do for you is wear out quicker than a 525.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
chain

Cheers Errol ,i'll get on it straight away to see the alignment,by the way how many links are there in the tornado chain?
Russ

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
112 links on the Tornado
120 links on the TNT

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
chain

Cheers Jurek,just got prices from Demon Tweeks,DID and Afam chains both at £82.93 Delivered ,might go for it :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts