Benelli Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well ... firstly hello :bow: from wet Hereford .... just purchased my 1st Tornado ... on an 06 plate with 900 miles on ... in green/white of course!!!:clap:
Always owned Suzuki's, currently have a GSX-R 750 as well ... but always loved the Benelli so have taken the plunge.
Just had a full 1st service & thatcham alarm fitted by Streffords of Worcester ... fine job done although did hurt the old pocket somewhat!
Rode her back from Worcester & what a bike ... loved every second of it even in the showers! Can't wait to get back on her.
Most of my questions have been answered but one does still have me a little cautious.
I have read on a previous & older Benelli forum, written by Laurencewhite ( sure the name appears on this site somewhere as well! ) about the Acumen Dg8 gear thingy! Followed there advice & purchased the blue one, took it along to be fitted by the dealer at the service along with the advice re wiring colours & the dealer said they will not fit due to wiring probs with Benelli. Nathen the guy who I spoke too over this appears a very knowledgeable chap so I took his advice & didn't fit it.
Now I am home & the bikes in the garage I want to fit it myself ... pretty good with electrics so not worried here.:confused: :p
Could any one who has self fitted these to the Tornado give me any clear advice on what to expect, ie: How to remove the panels & in what sequence to enable me to get to wiring? Is the wiring colours given on the previous site still the same for my 06 plate? Bit confused once fitted on how to set up the thing ... do you do it whilst riding the bike .... or risk it on a paddock stand ... really not sure how to do this!!!! Any other advice re fitting this item & problems encountered fitting / after please.:confused:
sorry too waffle on a bit but would appreciate any help offered!:doh:
Many thanks
Mark from Hereford

·
Super Moderator
7,769 Posts
Hi Mark and welcome to the Forum.

I've fitted one of these to both the Tornado's that I have owned and I also 'helped' BigBadAl to fit one to his bike and they have all worked with no problems.

I guess your man is just a wee bit scared of tampering with the wiring given the reputation of the bikes but I can assure you that it is pretty straight forward. You will need to remove the screen and clocks to give you room to work and to do this you will have to remove one side of the top fairing and mirror first but there's not much to this, around 8 screws or so.

Although you say you have a 2006 model, I would bet that the bike will have been made in 2004, (have a look at the date stamp under the riders seat) so I very much doubt if the wiring will be any different from the bikes that I have successfully fitted them to.

The post you are referring to on the old Forum has all the information you need to wire up the unit.
http://p222.ezboard.com/gear-indicator/fbenelliforumfrm9.showMessage?topicID=630.topic

Once fitted you will have to get the rear of the bike up on a secure paddock stand to calibrate the gears into the GD8 but if you follow the instructions that came with the unit you can't go wrong.

Give it a go mate, if you have any problems let me know and I'll see if I can help you out [email protected]

·
Registered
83 Posts
What a helpful chap you are laurence. Can ask what you talking about though? As i don't think i have any extra bits fitted to my tre 04 model either! Ta

·
Registered
404 Posts
this is going to trouble my wallet

:doh:

I think this web site will be the death of my wallet

I want a DG8, a short exhaust, brake reservoirs, tank protector :ele:

Give me more.

DG8 will be bought this weekend

Cheers Guys and enjoy the Italian GeeGees

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
:) Many thanks Laurence :bow: .... when you say 'remove one side of the upper fairing & mirror' .... any chance of a wee bit more info,please?:confused:
Also, with the bike sat on my paddock stand ( once Dg8 is fitted ) surely you don't have to rev right through the range .... a little worrying :doh: it may 'flick-off' the stand & shoot through the garage wall !!!! Could you be a little more specific on what to do on the set up stage ( speed, gears etc ):confused:
Also, you are correct with it being a 2004 model ... it was registered in 2006.
Thanks in advance
Mark

·
Super Moderator
7,769 Posts
Weeman, what he wants to fit is one of these:- http://www.acumen-electronics.co.uk/shop/products.php?category=142

It's a natty little device that stops you wondering what gear the bike is in.

Dave (Lostsoul)

Some of the Reservoirs are on their way to me. The rest were not in stock but will be sent after the Italian hols are over at the end of August!!!

I'm afraid I won't know which ones I'm getting until I receive the parcel, so keep your fingers crossed that your's are in there.:confused:

Speedy,

In order to get to the 2 fixing nuts to remove the clocks you will need to remove the screen. Unless you want to risk breaking something when you do this it would be better if you remove either the left or right side of the upper fairing panel, however, in order to remove the upper fairing panel you will have to remove the mirror first. Here's how to go about it:-

First remove both the black plastic cockpit trims on the inside of the upper fairing panels then decide which upper panel you are going to remove (it doesn't matter if it is the left or right side) undo the bolt that holds the mirror on the side you are going to remove and pull the mirror off (the mirror can be a little stiff to remove but if you rock it back and forth it should come away OK)

Remove the 4 bolts that hold on the front screen but don't try and remove the screen at this stage as it will still be wedged in place with the upper fairing panels.

Undo all the bolts that hold on the upper fairing panel for the side that you are going to remove and remember there are a couple at the front above the mudguard (the black plastic one at the very front of the fairing panel just prises off you will need to undo the gold coloured one with an allen key-move the steering to one side to give you better access to this bolt)

NOTE:- don't try and remove the fairing panel at this stage as there is a plastic fixing lug that will break off if you don't raise the tank a little. To do this remove the riders seat and undo the single gold coloured allen bolt that holds the tank in place. The tank will then be able to pivot upward an inch or two. Wedge something under the tank to hold it up. If you are sure that you have removed all the panel fixing bolts give it a bit of a 'shuggle' and it should come away from the bike. You will have to move it towards the front of the bike to disengage the rubber air intake mounts.

Once the panel has been removed the screen should just lift off.

You will then be able to gain access to the two nuts that hold the clocks on. Remove these and unplug the connector from the back of the clocks (there is a little plastic bit that you have to press to allow the connector to be unplugged)

After you have done that lot, you will be able to break into the wiring loom that feeds the clocks to make the necessary connections for the GD8.

PS don't follow the wiring instructions for the Benelli entry that are on the Acumen web site as they are wrong!!!! Go by the colours that are in my previous thread on the old Forum http://p222.ezboard.com/gear-indicat...icID=630.topic

Once you have connected and insulated the wires from the GD8 you will need to then 'teach' it to recognize the gears on the Bike. (See the attached PDF file)

Basically, you tell the unit how many gears the bike has first then you select first gear and increase the revs to around 2k until the indicator changes. Repeat the same process though the rest of the gears and you are about done. :clap: :clap:

Just make sure your bike is securely positioned on the paddock stand and you will be OK.:doh:

The above instructions are quite detailed which might make this sound like a long and involved process ...........but it is not. Give it a go one rainy day when you are not in a hurry and you should get on fine.

If you get stuck, just holler :)

·
5,891 Posts
Laurence, that link to the old forum wasn't quite complete - at least from my browser. In essence, your post was:-

There are 5 wires to connect which I tapped into the wiring loom at the back of the clocks.

Switched Power Supply - Red DG8 Wire colour - Green/White Tornado wire colour
Neutral Signal - Green DG8 Wire - White/Violet Tornado wire colour
Speedo Signal - Orange DG8 wire colour - Dark Blue Tornado wire colour
Tacho Signal - Brown DG8 wire colour - Orange/Grey Tornado wire colour
Negative Earth - Black DG8 wire colour - Black Tornado wire colour (see later post on how to identify the correct black wire)

I checked these colours on my loom, and they weren't exactly the same!
The best way to be sure you have the correct wires is to follow the dash connector diagram on pg. 319 of the workshop manual. Careful though, that diagram numbers the pins 1 to 20, clockwise from the top right. These are NOT the pin numbers, as shown on the wiring diagram on pg. 318, which start from the top left, and run counter-clockwise! Italian logic I guess.

On mine:-
- the speed sensor wire is Violet, not blue, and it has a large ferrite clamped over it.
- the tacho wire is Red / Grey
- Neutral wire is White

(Hmm ... violet is close to blue, and red is close to orange ?)

Finally, the negative earth - GND - wires are wire numbers (pg. 319) 4, 5 & 6, (pin numbers (pg. 318) 17, 16 & 15). It makes no difference which you choose, as they are all connected together on the dash circuit board.

(Absolutely finally .. that tacho wire is the same one used for the Sportvue MSU connection.)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
follow on

Laurence ... many thanks for your time posting on the thread re this darn diggy thing. Problem is Engenia has put a wee cautious problem re his difference of opinion re wiring colours!!!

What do I do next ... follow your previous wiring or look closely at his idea?

What I do really have to be very careful of is I am experiencing digi clock probs ( see my other thread over this! ) & as I have 10mnths warranty left, don't want to start 'hacking' into the wiring loom only for it to cause problems if I choose a wrong coloured wire & void my warranty!!

Not sure what do do next on this .................................:confused:

·
5,891 Posts
Seems I've put a cat amongst the pigeons!

+12V is the Green/White wire, wire #1 on pg. 319, pin 20 of the connector. No argument there.

The black wires (no extra colours) are ground.

If you don't mix these 2 up, you'll be right. If you want to be absolutely sure, poke a small sharp needle into the wires & measure the voltage between then. Just don't short them out, or you will be replacing the 10A Services fuse.

The other 3 are inputs to the DG8, so if they are wrong, it just won't work properly. You won't be damaging the dash electronics (which appears to be buggered anyway).

Maybe don't add the DG8 until the dash is fixed. That way there can be no questions raised by the ill-informed.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks Laurence,
Seems like a lot of effort to know what gear ya in! I was always taught to count the gears, or you recognise what gear ya in with rpm/mph. Looks nice though lol

·
Super Moderator
7,769 Posts
See, that's where I've been going wrong Wee-Man.......the school that I went to only taught how to count up to 5!!!!!:rolling:

Mark,
trust Nathen to come up with an alternative wiring option....... I could have guessed that they would do things differently 'down under':)

I'd be holding off connecting up that gear indicator until you were happy that the other issue had been resolved first though.

After that, I would check out the wiring behind the clocks with a multi-meter and by using the sharp pin method determine the correct wiring.

You should be able to positively identify all the wires correctly, bar the Tacho signal wire, by using this method and there is little doubt around this one anyway (i.e. Orange/Red & Grey)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts