Benelli Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, great forum and sorry to trouble you guys so early on in my Tornado ownership (all of one week!):eek:

I replaced my Mille for a 2003 tre with 3100 miles on the clock last Saturday in a private purchase, took it out for a blast on Monday morning and sprung a bloody great leak within 5 miles. Trailered home. Having taken the side fairing off I discovered a leaky core plug on the top right front cylinder. Today I replaced this and refilled the coolant to discover fluid now pouring out from the rear left cylinder!:doh:

Another leak, another core plug! Is it known that they `go together`? This one seems less accessible than the front one, can anyone please tell me how much I will have to remove to get access?

Lastly, I have searched for tyre recommendations, what are the latest thoughts? My use will be road with infrequent track days.

Many thanks, I am an oldish fart who still owns a Jotarised Laverda since my college days in the early 80`s.:D

Somadoc.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Hi there
Sorry to hear of your bad luck so soon into your ownership :bawl:

(maybe you should have a chat with BigBadAl then you will realise that the coreplugs going isnt so bad !)

I am not too sure why they go so easily on some Tornados, but Engenia's website has lots of info http://www.mso.anu.edu.au/~ekowald/ and I havent got a clue how much of the bike you will have to strip down to get to it.
I am sure someone on here will tell you soon :D

Where are you from? Maybe give Glen a call at KJM or Russ at bennetts, they are both great guys and am sure willgladly tell you what you need to remove even though it will be doing them out of work !

Tyres - Most guys I think stay with Dunlops (208's) When I bought my bike the guy who had it before me liked Pirelli Diablo corsa's and stuck them on - I have to admit they have been great, but now alas have squared off a fair bit (after just shy of 3000mls) and dont give me the feel like before. Going to change them for the same again unless someone can tell me if there are any others better

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Welcome fella,

I have no idea on hat has gone wrong with your lovely machine (after all I can't fix my bloody brakes!) But suffice to say, you may have a few problems, but once sorted you will be sat astride one of the most beautiful and fun bikes to ride this world has produced - don't lose the faith!

Andy

·
Super Moderator
7,770 Posts
Hi Somadoc and welcome to the Forum mate.

Here's an earlier post on core plugs:-
http://www.benelliforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1436

I guess you have just been unlucky that both core plugs have gone at the same time. Some engines only have the one at the back of the block but other have them on the front as well like yours.

The only thing that you will have to remove is the lower left hand fairing however, even with this removed it is still a bit of a bugger to get access to work on the core plug.

I drilled a small hole in mine with a Dremel and inserted a self-tapping screw which allowed me to lever the core plug out. Others have managed to pop it out with a long screwdriver but watch that you don't drive it deeper into the hole or damage the side of the hole in the casting when you are working on it.

The new core plug sits in the casting with a 'friction' fit but it doesn't need to be driven in too deeply, the edge of the plug just needs to sit below the front of the casting hole. A little silicon sealant on the edge of the plug before you insert it would probably do no harm as well.

Let us all know how you get on with it?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ah them bloody core plugs.

As someone suggested to me, when you do replace them, get some non-benelli ones (e.g. the ones used on a ducati 916 engine) because those cannot corrode like the ones from Benelli, so the problem wont reproduce. The Benelli ones will corrode with time.

I m gonna get mine replaced sometime soon too, just to be on the safe side.

·
1,841 Posts
sh.......t,:doh: just remembered I have not changed mine yet and going to france tomorrow! better keep my fingers crossed.....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you.

Thanks guys, very, very helpful and strangely hopeful!!!?:clap:

Got my core plug and a spare from Red Dog this afternoon and will have a go tomorrow. I drilled a self tapper into the front one and pulled it out (should have been a dentist!). They suggested I remove most of the fairing and the tank. I will see if I can access it carefully with just the left one off.

I will post again tomorrow evening and let you know how it goes.

Robin.

·
Super Moderator
7,770 Posts
You shouldn't have to go to the bother of removing the tank as you will be able to get to it from underneath after you remove the lower side fairing. Here is where it should be located. You may have to pull a rubber water hose out of the way to get to it though.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Rear Core Plug Replacement

Just to add my two pennies worth being as I did mine two weeks ago.

1) Remove lower fairing panel
2) Remove upper fairing and mirror
3) Remove side air ducting to the radiator
4) Remove the front hose that goes on the water pump after removing the small purge screw in the bottom of the water pump and draining off some coolant.

You should now have enough clearance to remove the old core plug and replace it with a nice new shiny brass one. I found that if you don't take all the above off you will not have enough room to fit the new plug properly.

Fitting will obviously be the reversal of removal but remember when refilling the coolant to lean the bike over a number of times to remove air locks....

·
5,896 Posts
Coolant bleeding procedure

Hey Robin. You can find the coolant bleeding procedure HERE. If you don't do it properly, you'll probably end up with an airlock, and she'll run hot.
Actually, you're lucky both plugs went together. May as well get the job out of the way completely.
At nearly 30,000 km, mine are still original. There was a crook batch of plugs, and mine wasn't among them, but I've been carrying a new one in my pocket for the last 15,000 km, just in case!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Core plug done!

Thanks for the help and advice.

I ended up taking the left side panel and fuel tank off. However my drill was too big to access the plug (so were my hands!) to start the self tapper off so I gently whacked it in with a slide hammer! Initially the plug went further in the cylinder head which concerned me:( but I managed to withdraw the whole thing first go. The plug had a small hole eroded with a much larger area of rot all round it, incredible!

I followed suggestions to refill slowly and tilt the bike from side to side which did allow for burping, however the coolant tank isn't showing any content although the fluid can be seen at the base of the filling neck with the cap removed? Normal?

Tyres next, Dunlops, Bridgestones, Pirelli then I might actually get to ride her:ele:

·
Super Moderator
7,770 Posts
Yeah, that sounds pretty normal but if you want to fill the expansion tank above the minimum mark, hold the palm of your hand over the coolant filling hole to seal it off then squeeze the large rubber hose coming out of the bottom of the radiator a few times, topping-up as you go.

The level in the expansion tank doesn't need to be much above the minimum mark with the bike standing upright on a paddock stand otherwise it'll come pissing out the expansion hose which has it's outlet directly above the engine!!!! :rolleyes:

·
1,841 Posts
The "expansion tank" is in fact only a "catch tank" if for some reason the radiator expansion cap opens. There is no path to return fluid to cooling system. If you have any fluid in the tank and the rad cap opens you will squirt fluid in front of the rear tyre. (experience) I would leave the tank empty. Why the tank has a level mark I dont know ? perhaps they were going to run it as a true expansion system ??:)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Valuable advice

Now where on earth would I have got valuable information like this without a members forum, allowing me to freely access first hand experience and expertise. :clap:

I guess like many new Benelli owners there is a certain anxiety associated with wanting to own something different and a bit of early `hand holding` is most welcome.

Thank you, Robin.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts