Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have just registered for your forum and this is my first post, so hello to you all. Like a lot of you guys I guess, I have always thought the Tornado to be a great looking bike and something very different. I have the chance to buy a low mileage damaged 2004 bike, and quite like the idea as a good winter into spring into summer (no doubt) project. The damaged bike in question is a standard green and silver model, but it has had quite a tumble, and has wrecked its upper fairings, screen, tail light assembly, rear fender, headlight, tail/seat pod, lost its rear seat and mirrors, damaged its silencer and front wheel, and no doubt has further damage to a number of smaller parts that you only find once you strip anything down.

I can see that there is a limited amount of bodywork available on Ebay etc, and I guess that around £1000 worth of parts would be needed, but is any of the above almost unobtainable? I have not seen any rear seat, mirrors or wheels advertised, so are these hard to find?

The bike is being sold as a runner but with no history (quoted as having done 7000 odd miles), and with the number of importer mods to clutch, alternator etc (as mentioned on the forum) that are considered essential, maybe it is too much of a risk, but hey, I like a "challenge" and would be in no great hurry to complete it. Also, would the Benelli importer be able to check if a bike has been modified, and even modify one F.O.C. if it hasn't?

Sorry about all the questions but would appreciate any help or advice (or maybe a tip off for a nice Green/Silver one for sale at a nice price?) Cheers, Keith

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts
Welcome matey, It's probably not so bad if it's the right price and you're a hands on type unlike me :bawl: I was daft enough to buy one that had been "down the road" and needed more than a little tlc which cost me a fair bit of brass, I think the most expensive thing to look out for is the dreaded clutch basket fault, check Errols web site out you'll find it very useful,

hope that helps matey,

http://www.engenia.com.au/

;)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Hi keith , is it being sold from a rochdale or was once halifax location as i recognise the bike you have mentioned ?

think this might be your old bike rob turned up finally

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Hi Keith
Never worry about spares there in abundance on this forum .pm me for wat u mite need .

happy repairing if you buy /or bought

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Theres also a listing of bikes and what mods carried out and its accessible via frame number which is available through a link here - theres someone just about to sell a Red Tre thats not damaged if you can stretch to a good used one rather than salvage . see tre for sale .

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies! Yes it is in a place in halifax, and it would be good to hear from the previous owner - Rob ? Some info on its history and previous mechanical condition would be really useful.

I have repaired a couple of similarly damaged bikes and i LOVE getting my hands dirty! The clutch does sound like a complex assembly though. Cheers, Keith

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Hi Keith. I think you will find it will cost you way more than £1000 to fix that baby up! Good s/h mirrors, for example, are like hens teeth, and a new pair will cost £180. That's just the mirrors; not the wheel, the fairings, the seat unit, lights, etc etc. It would have to be very cheap, not the usual £1800 or so that is charged for a damaged repairable. You would be much better off buying a straight one. They are regularly available at good prices, and will still give you scope to exercise your spannering skills, believe me!

Welcome to the forum!

Cheers:D
Ian

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
I'm 99.9% sure i know that bike and its at RS but its a big task as i've seen it - if your not fussed how long it takes there is a plethoria of parts from around the world and off here at now and again at the right price but as Ian says they do pop up for ridiculous low money now and then . good look with your search (ps i talked to laurence about this very bike today - freaky )

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Welcome to the forum Keith
If you do buy the damaged bike - I have a rear tail plastic section spare - PM me if you buy and are interested (it will be cheaper than a pair of mirrors I guarantee you that !!!
But as others say - a straight tornado is easy to come by for around 3K ish

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Welcome Keith. To be honest, I don't think it will be worth it. Even if you do not find anything else wrong with it, which I think is unlikely, its almost certainly not going to save you much over buying a 2003/2004 Tornado in average condition. They can be had for less than 3k these days (Ian I think got his for 2500). I would expect you could pick one up over winter for decent money. Clutch basket alone could cost you best part of a grand to sort out if its not been done, so you would be taking a huge risk, unless you can confirm its history. If you can, I would say its then just a case of weighing up the cost of parts and risk of needing more. Even if its mechanically sound I still think you will struggle to make it cost effective and will always have the added cost of the reduced value due to the insurance write off.

Cheers

Col

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
They can be had for less than 3k these days (Ian I think got his for 2500).

Col
A little more; it stood me in at £2700 including the cost of collection. That is just the start, though. So far, my parts bill for a major service, now stands at over £600. That does include 1 mirror. The rest is all mechanical servicing parts; no labour. I am not bothered; I budgeted that, but it was all essential.

See what I mean about plenty of scope to practice your spannering skills, Keith!:)

Ian

·
Registered
414 Posts
Damaged repairable

To be honest, I don't think it will be worth it. Even if you do not find anything else wrong with it, which I think is unlikely, its almost certainly not going to save you much over buying a 2003/2004 Tornado in average condition. They can be had for less than 3k these days (Ian I think got his for 2500). I would expect you could pick one up over winter for decent money. Clutch basket alone could cost you best part of a grand to sort out if its not been done, so you would be taking a huge risk, unless you can confirm its history. If you can, I would say its then just a case of weighing up the cost of parts and risk of needing more. Even if its mechanically sound I still think you will struggle to make it cost effective and will always have the added cost of the reduced value due to the insurance write off.

Cheers

Col
Cols right,

Its a great challenge for someone mechanically minded. Sure you would take a shot at it if its a Japanese model. Due to spare/new parts availability.

Its very risky buying something with very little history.
RobFM comments - found it expensive.
Also you could be spending lots and lots of ££££'s just to get the bodywork right.

Then you need to look at the front wheel. If thats damaged could need fork replacement. Front brakes calipers/disks and pads. What about if frame twisted? Then theres the engine mods. :doh:

True you are in no rush to get it done. But am sure when you have spent lots of time and money and effort searching for parts (and if their not right having to refurbish them) and it's not ready for next summer. You will be kicking yourself you did'nt just buy one now. While there are some fantastic deals to be had this time of year.

Would price all the bits up with Motogb etc 1st. Start a new thread on here in respect of parts required, which I am sure many will give you a rough idea of 2nd hand cost (those that have sourced) along with the time it took them to obtain the item.

I would then make your decision based on the outcome.

I am not very mechanically minded but have bought a few 'too good to be true cars' only to find out that they are not all they seem. Especially when the man at the garage starts rubbing his chin and sucking air in when its in for repairs:bawl:

If you go for it though wish you all the best and happy tinkering. :D

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Hi Keith!

You could always mod it, Rat it or make it street fighter style?;)

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Klinker:D

·
Still trying!
490 Posts
Now why didn't I do that with mine .. ah yes, bent swinging arm, wheel, bars, tank, exhaust, seat unit ... hmmmmmm.

I agree with everyone else .. find a decent s/h one .. lots about if you are careful. That red one mentioned on here looks worth investigating. Bound to be faster than all this Green and Silver stuff .. and better still its not yellow!!

Off to hide in the bunker. Mike

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What a great idea but no thanks! I have no doubt that this is not financially a money earner as it will come out very close to the 3 grand needed to buy a good straight bike with known history and those essential mods carried out. The repaired bike would have a lower future value being a Cat C repair too. The slipper clutch is a nasty one tho, with a possible £1000 bill for a £3000 bikes clutch. At that rate there will be quite a few spare panels around in the next few years!

My part prices based on second hand/Ebay etc are :
2 Top fairings £250
Tail fairing £150
Lower side fairing £90
Rear seat £50
Tank paint job £100
Screen £60
Mirrors £100
Front wheel £70
Rear fender/hugger/indicators £100
Tail light £50
Total £1040 plus servicing and countless other bits

So easily £1500, and probably more than that. In saying that tho, I would still give it a shot as it would be such an entertaining project but the lack of history is what deters me the most.

So with all your help and information, its probably not on, unless someone here knows that it is mechanically A1. Cheers.

PS - I did spot the one that Ian purchased and thought that looked a good deal.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
PS - I did spot the one that Ian purchased and thought that looked a good deal.
True, but not as good as it may have looked at first sight. I wasn't prepared to ride it until I went through it with a fine toothed comb, to coin a phrase! And 7 weeks on, I still haven't fired it up! Won't be long now, and when I do, it will be sorted. £3350 and climbing....:D

Even buying a nice shiny low mileage example doesn't mean you won't have to spend a few 100quid on it, though.:doh:

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Ian

·
Registered
414 Posts
Still in Love?

Out of interest, I don't suppose you know the reg number ?

Just want to check it's not my old one, although I'd guess it's long gone by now ?

:bawl:
DONT TELL ME ROB - STILL HANKERING AFTER THE 'OLD GIRL'
Best years of my life in that saddle..
Love of my life - and all that :rolling: :rolling:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts