Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
please can somebody help ? I purchased my 03 plate tornado at the beginning of April from a dealer with approx 5500 miles. I can live with the wise cracks from my mates about will it start? Have you won the lottery for when it goes wrong ? As I sell Alfa Romeos reliability is something you get used to commenting on ! I have already completed a track day at Silverstone which was a good place to learn about the bike. I have also had a 4 day trip to the Mosel Valley in Germany where the bike performed without any problems ( apart from the fuel consumption !). On the way to Germany the service spanner appeared on the instrument panel and when I returned after the trip I contacted the dealer for advice. They said no problem bring it in and we will turn off the light for you. I took the bike back to the dealer and he put the light out for me and I then started my journey home. Well this is where the problem begins, riding quite briskly home around some lovely bends I hear this clunky and banging noise and then lose all drive. I pulled the clutch in nothing, free wheeled to the side of the road, managed to get into neutral and I turned the bike off. Getting off the bike my first thoughts are that the chain has snapped, but as I look down the nut which holds the front sprocket on is layed in the belly pan along with broken bits of casing!!!! I contacted the dealer who came and collected the bike on the saturday and said that they would be in touch. I contacted them on thursday and they said itwasn't as bad as 1st thought and they had ordered the parts but didn't know when they would be here. I contacted them the following week and they said the parts would be in a couple of weeks and that the parts on their own are over £700 and as I had gone over the 1000 mile warranty this is something I would have to discuss with the sales manager! (that doesn't include labour). So my question is has anyone ever experienced a nut coming off the front sprocket causing £s of damage, and is it fair that after 2100 miles I should be asked to pay towards the repair?

Rodders

·
Registered
864 Posts
Sounds a bit fishy. The front sprocket should be held on with a lockwasher. Do you know if the bike had had a chain / sprocket change at any point recently?

Neil

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your quick reply, I have been through all the service bills and it doesn't list any chain or sprockets being replaced. The Pre sales inspection schedule lists the the chain and sprocket as ticked at 5646 miles.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Being ticked probably just means "checked"? and satisfactory condition.
A front sprocked is reverse thread and secured in place with a lockwasher. It should not come off - period.

The fact that the dealership now has your bike makes things more difficult.... You mention the front sprocket was in the belly pan.. did you keep it?

Details aside, I would not be paying £700 + Labour to the dealership!

More info required if you can get it...

Let us know what the dealership come back with in terms of their understanding of what happened and how it happened. There are plenty of knowledgeable people on the forum.

Neil

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi neil,

the nut was in the belly pan and the sprocket was loose on the shaft, as it is at the moment I have told the dealer to contact me when all the parts have arrived and then we can work something out. The parts which are required are as follows:

sprocket casing, gearbox casing, clutch push rod, clutch assembly bracket, solenoid, solenoid assembly, sprocket and nut and chain.

rodders

·
Registered
864 Posts
Apologies, my mistake.
Let us know how you get on with the dealership. That is a big bill.

In any case it could have been worse. At least you managed to coast to the side of the road without dropping you or the bike.

Neil

·
5,929 Posts
Hey rodders, I've had mine come loose, but the lock washer saved it. I was fortunate to discover it before it became a problem.
I've heard of others breaking the tags on the lock washer.
When Benelli supplies a sprocket, they include a new lock washer. Don't re-use the old one.

The shaft is splined, so there is half the thread for the nut to work against, hence the tendency to loosen up. To improve the situation, use some Loctite 648 on it. On normal threads, this is an overkill, but not in this case.

As far as the damage is concerned, ask to see the damaged parts to confirm they do indeed need replacement. If the sprocket didn't leave the shaft, it should have kept driving, albeit, with a lot of noise. If you lost drive, the sprocket came off, and the potential for damage is huge.

Think about replacing the cover with a carbon fibre unit. It'll probably be cheaper, and look better. Consider changing to a hydraulic clutch as well. You will still need the clutch push-rod, if it's bent, but not the bracket.

Laurence can supply new front sprockets for a fraction of the OEM price. Think about changing to 15 tooth. Acceleration will improve, and top speed will barely change.

Other than that ...... welcome to the forum .... and the joys of Benelli ownership!

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
Hi there,
causing £s of damage, and is it fair that after 2100 miles I should be asked to pay towards the repair?

Rodders
If the warranty issued was 1000miles and you did the 2100miles then unfortunately yes you should pay for the repairs. A sprocket nut could come loose on any motorcycle and this type of damage can occur even when a chain breaks. Just a pity the parts are so expensive.
Engenias solution would be the best one.
At least it sounds as thought they might help you repair it.
Paul

·
1,841 Posts
Neil, the dealer is liable,check up on the sale of goods act ,the bike has to be fit for the purpose etc... The warranty running out is irrelevant That is assuming you are in England ?

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
Neil, the dealer is liable,check up on the sale of goods act ,the bike has to be fit for the purpose etc... The warranty running out is irrelevant That is assuming you are in England ?
Colin, fit for the purpose for how long? Surely there has to be a cutoff period, especially on a used piece of equipment.

Paul

·
1,841 Posts
I believe it is up to 6 years in england Paul, Im not a legal expert !, but a dealer has obligations for faults that are not down to fair wear and tear.If you bought privatly the law does not apply the same. If I was in this position I would google Sale of goods act,or see a solicitor or citizens advice.
Good luck Rodders.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Colin, fit for the purpose for how long? Surely there has to be a cutoff period, especially on a used piece of equipment.

Paul

Paul,

I think you might be right there. Sorry Colin :eek:

The used bike was sold 2000 or so miles ago and was in good running order when sold. The bike is 5 years old so I don't think that argument would hold any weight im afraid. Just my experience..

·
Registered
864 Posts
When Benelli supplies a sprocket, they include a new lock washer. Don't re-use the old one

Engenia, I could not agree more. This is very important.
Very recently I purchased a sprocket from a main Benelli Dealership. I also asked for a new lock washer and the responce I received was "we dont have any in stock.. we always just re-use them"

To me this is akin to re-using copper crush washers on your brake lines. If nothing else is just re-assured me the reason that the last time I had a bike in a dealers for any work was about 15 yrs ago. Just be careful out there people.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey rodders, I've had mine come loose, but the lock washer saved it. I was fortunate to discover it before it became a problem.
When Benelli supplies a sprocket, they include a new lock washer. Don't re-use the old one.

The shaft is splined, so there is half the thread for the nut to work against, hence the tendency to loosen up. To improve the situation, use some Loctite 648 on it. On normal threads, this is an overkill, but not in this case.

As far as the damage is concerned, ask to see the damaged parts to confirm they do indeed need replacement. If the sprocket didn't leave the shaft, it should have kept driving, albeit, with a lot of noise. If you lost drive, the sprocket came off, and the potential for damage is huge.

Think about replacing the cover with a carbon fibre unit. It'll probably be cheaper, and look better. Consider changing to a hydraulic clutch as well. You will still need the clutch push-rod, if it's bent, but not the bracket.

Laurence can supply new front sprockets for a fraction of the OEM price. Think about changing to 15 tooth. Acceleration will improve, and top speed will barely change.

Other than that ...... welcome to the forum .... and the joys of Benelli ownership!
Still a bit new to this forum so I hope I have replied correctly ? Many thanks for you suggestions all sound pretty good to me but I think I will wait to hear back from the dealer first as to how they are fgoing to proceed.

cheers
Rod

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi there I am in England and as I work in a car dealership I'm normally sat the other side of the desk ! If a customer had a problem with their car within the first 3 months or 1500 miles we would look to repair the fault free of charge. Yes we do put a warranty on the car when sold but this doesn't cover everything so we take a sensible approach to each case and if the fault is not down to the customer then we would step in. I work for quite a large dealer group and customer care is a top priority, as you can imagine it only needs one person to have a bad experience and the damage caused takes ages to repair. To be fair if a customer has a problem with a car purchased from us during their ownership we try and help whereever possible. (sorry I'll get off my soap box now!!)

So I think at the moment I will wait to see what happens as screaming and shouting at this stage does no good.

·
1,841 Posts
Hi Rod, you are right that it will not do much good shouting and raving ! just talk reasonable to them and see what they come up with. I had a little google and here is a little bit of a write up i read regarding a secondhand car.
unless the car is particularly old and cheap, or is sold at or below trade price. If it is a reasonably new car and sold at a retail price, then he is bound by the Trade Descriptions Act 1968, the Sale of Goods Act 1979, the Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994 and the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002, which effectively compel him to give a six-month guarantee.
I also read the supply of goods to consumers regs 2002, and they seem to say (in legal jargon) that if a fault appears within 6 months that the law takes that as being present when purchased.
Good luck hope you are sorted soon, Colin...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi rodders,

Call the citizen advice bureau and they will guide you through your rights.

They helped me recently when my 2003 LE that I had bought from a dealer lunched the engine after owning the bike for 3 months and only 500 miles. The length of time that you had the bike and the mileage that you can make a case for is up for discussion and there are no set limits, it's more to do with what is reasonable.

The dealer cannot set a 1,000 miles warranty just like that and devolve his responsibility .... it's the law :)

Result for me was a new engine to the account of the dealer.

It is however important to work with the dealer on this and give them a chance to repair etc. Jumping up and down is not much good. Get to know your rights as a consumer and use them to good effect.

Cheers .....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts