Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. New owner of a salvaged Benelli Tornado Tre 900 over in the US. My background. I'm mostly a Honda guy, and have a severe problem with MBD. Love the V4s, and have 6 different Honda V4s in the garage tucked away. Mostly have spent time rebuilding and riding VFRs among a few other odds and ends. I've spent most of my time over on the VFRDiscussion forum.

I was browsing around an insurance salvage auction, when I stumbled upon the listing for the Benelli. I have only ever seen one in my entire lifetime at a big motorcycle meet in town. I'm almost certain that this is that bike from 10 years ago. Out of all the cities it could have been listed in, it was located only 20 minutes away from the house. So of course I have to at least throw a bid on it. To my surprise, I ended up getting it for about $700 USD. So it's now on in storage awaiting it's turn to get torn into.

It's listed as a burn, but the bike itself doesn't seem to have been the thing that was burning. It was really strange to poke at. The top fairing is melted, but sections of the instrument cluster are fine. The rubbers on the brake lines feel almost brand new. The lower fairings are virtually perfect. Suspension is still straight, and even the wiring harness looks alright. Title says 11k miles.

The switches on the handlebars are completely untouched and function just fine. Again, it's a really strange damage.

The plan is to tear the melted plastics off and see what's going on underneath. I will probably order the hard to find items, such as the instrument cluster, tank, and headlight assembly. Everything else I've seemed to have been able to find, although only in Italy and a few listings on here. Then it's a matter of coming up with the inspection plan, list of recall work to sort through, and slowly start putting her back to stock. Pretty sure this is the standard 900. Not sure how to visually confirm whether this is an LE or not. The VIN appears to be a slightly different format than the Euro bikes, although I do know that it is bike #17 of whichever model. The VIN is ZBNB3TRB25P100017.

Wish me luck. It will be a slow process, thinking over the course of a year. I have three bikes to rebuild and sell before I can seriously dig into this one. If anyone can give any sort of info from the VIN number on which model it is, that would be cool. Or any other information and things to look for would be much appreciated. I've read through some of the recall work threads and will keep doing my homework too!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Clearly not an LE or RS now that I've actually done an image search. No super whammy special wheels.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Welcome!
thats quite a project you have there!
Definately a std 900 tre, confirmed by the wheels and dual seat unit. Looks like a 2005 build if you check out errols brilliant website Engenia's Benelli Tornado Novocentro Tre (load of other critical info on there too)

Whilst it looks bad hopefully most of the critical items are intact , at the very worst you would more than get your money back by breaking it (though hopefully not necessary) Parts are out there if you search around and have time, otherwise deep pockets required....

Good luck!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Great that you are going to try to resurrect it, most people would break it for parts and more than recoup their $700. There will be plenty of people here willing to help with advice and parts etc. Good luck.

You're right though, weird looking damage.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the quick replies.

Definitely wasn't thinking of breaking it down at a first plan. As you said, so much of it is in tact, and all the major components are perfectly fine. Plus, it's just too cool of a bike to break apart like that.

Already bought an instrument cluster. Probably paid too much for it, but I only saw one listed for sale anywhere so I jumped on it. I saw a member had a headlight for sale that I will also try to pick up. Most other parts I've seen for sale without too much issue, and some parts listed from OEM resellers. Haven't seen upper fairings in this color scheme yet.

Conservatively I estimated that it would be $2k USD in parts, plus the cost of shipping, since most parts are in Italy/UK. If it's more, that's fine. Selling an old F2 track bike and a car to help fund this project, so if its more I'll live with it. Not in it to make money off of resale anyways.

I will be dropping the fairings and scraping the melted plastics off Saturday. Then I'll know what I'm up against.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Thanks for all the quick replies.

Definitely wasn't thinking of breaking it down at a first plan. As you said, so much of it is in tact, and all the major components are perfectly fine. Plus, it's just too cool of a bike to break apart like that.

Already bought an instrument cluster. Probably paid too much for it, but I only saw one listed for sale anywhere so I jumped on it. I saw a member had a headlight for sale that I will also try to pick up. Most other parts I've seen for sale without too much issue, and some parts listed from OEM resellers. Haven't seen upper fairings in this color scheme yet.

Conservatively I estimated that it would be $2k USD in parts, plus the cost of shipping, since most parts are in Italy/UK. If it's more, that's fine. Selling an old F2 track bike and a car to help fund this project, so if its more I'll live with it. Not in it to make money off of resale anyways.

I will be dropping the fairings and scraping the melted plastics off Saturday. Then I'll know what I'm up against.
There's a project n'arf. $700 gives plenty of room for turning her bike into a ridable bike whilst not going over what she is worth though.

If you have the money in a pot why not ask a UK forum member if you can send the parts to them and then send over to the US of A in one shipment to save a wad of greens. Just a thought.

To start you off i have a spare wiring loom should you need it, £40 (back end looks pretty toasted and its a full loom not a split loom)

Tanks are still quite easy to source and easy to fix being made of plastic should you find a scratched up one.

Decals are available over here at £55 for a full set.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll make the list of parts and go shopping later. First item on the agenda is to make sure it runs. If the engine won't turn, no point in worrying about finding a set of mirrors.

Bike is at my dad's machine shop. Just got a text that he already popped the plastics off and found neon lights on it and a neon colored seat remains. Interesting. Hopefully wasn't a squiddie beating the engine up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got the bike in the garage. Wire harness looks to be in tact with very minimal damage. The instrument cluster plastic melted, but the circuit board was still fine. Plugged it in and it lit up. I'll add a pic of that later, cause it looks pretty ridiculous.

Pulled the fuel pump and injector fuses and cranked the bike over. I didn't get a strong crank. It seemed to slow and speed up, like it didn't have enough force on compression strokes, then would rotate easier, then slowed. Sort of like a sin wave. This thing must have to pull some serious amps. My MOTY battery was a bit warm after a few seconds.

Off to read some topics about this. I think I saw one or two things about the starter.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A couple of pictures of things promised.

Instrument cluster after cleaning it up.

And it still lights up like a christmas tree

This image should tell you all you need to know about the type of person riding it and the quality of Dunlop tires

I am ordering a battery for the bike, as I don't have one that fits laying around. My MOTY needs a recharge, but a buddy has my charger, so waiting game it is. I'm also going to run the extra cables described in that resource website.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
good grief, i though that was a racing slick at first!
Rather impressive that the clocks still light up in that state though. Hopefully you will have it up and running before long, but judging by the tyres you will need to go through the whole bike to see what other nasties might be lurking in there....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Checked my MOTY, and found the voltage was low. Gave it a full charge, and the bike still struggled to crank. MOTY rated at 240A. Going to check the valve clearance to see if it's a compression deal. Starts to crank, then draws enough power for the lights to go dim. Something keeping it from cranking smoothly. Was hoping I could get it at least fired over before I had to tear into it. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Checked my MOTY, and found the voltage was low. Gave it a full charge, and the bike still struggled to crank. MOTY rated at 240A. Going to check the valve clearance to see if it's a compression deal. Starts to crank, then draws enough power for the lights to go dim. Something keeping it from cranking smoothly. Was hoping I could get it at least fired over before I had to tear into it. Oh well.
I'd suggest valve clearances too. Probably how its caught fire, nice little cough back through the throttle bodies igniting unburnt fuel.

Have you checked for the presence of an air filter?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'd suggest valve clearances too. Probably how its caught fire, nice little cough back through the throttle bodies igniting unburnt fuel.

Have you checked for the presence of an air filter?
Didn't check for air filter. The hope was that it would crank fine with the fuel pump and injector fuses pulled, then try to fire it over. Without the engine running, bike is now a big ? mark. Now it's a matter of proritizing work schedule again. Think this is going to get pushed back in the queue one spot so I can fix and get rid of one more bike.

But 100% sure the bike did not catch on fire. It has been concluded that this was vandalism. Someone splashed some gas on the front fairing and the seats and lit it on fire. It's the only thing that really fits. How can the bike catch fire, but only the outer plastics damaged. Not one melted wire. No damage to rubbers or tubes anywhere.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Reviving this from the dead. I finally got to put it up in the workshop. First thing was to see if it started. Drained a battery, but she fired over and sounded fine
:clap::clap::clap:

Get to start ordering all the parts I need to put it back together. Per rules in the US, to get a salvaged bike back on a rebuilt title, have to buy parts from an OEM source. So I think outer fairings will have to be new, and anything else can be ebayed. I'm just so unbelievably happy and surprised that it started and I didn't make a huge mistake.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts