Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G’day guys,

I’ve just picked myself up a 2008 TNT1130. 12,500s on it, stock and in showroom condition.

It does have the hot start issue, though I do have the Z25 replacement gear and spline and a mate who is an ex Ducati Corse MotoGP mechanic who is going to sort it out, so fingers crossed.

I’ve been riding for about 20 years, and owned quite a few bikes. From GPX250’s which I cut my teeth on, through to ZX6, ZX9, ZXR750’s, GSXR’s, Daytona 675’s and a Ducati 996 (which I absolutely loved) to most recently owning an original R1. I think this TNT is a keeper though, never ridden anything like it!

Hoping to also get a dyno tune on it to sort out the on/off fueling it sometimes has.

Thanks for all the posts on the technical side of things guys, it really helped me pull the trigger on this bike. Like Ducati’s, these Benelli’s seem to have a few “fixes” that need to be done and servicing seems to be on par.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
hi and welcome.
the bike looks in lovely condition!.:ele::D

sounds like you've got all the things needed in hand.
i see its still got the std front brake discs on , just keep an eye out for the front brakes pulsing at low speed coming to a stop. some of the std brembo discs are known warp or get stuck on the floating rivets. had it on my Tre K.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info on the brake discs! I’ll keep an eye on it.

Currently only done about 100kms on it, trying not to ride it too much until the z25 is sorted out (next Saturday) but man what a beast! I’m slowly getting used to it. So much torque but so so smooth and a chassis that is light and flickable, yes still holds a line perfectly.

I can understand why Benelli has such dedicated fans.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, if someone can help with a bit of guidance... I’m chasing the Tune ECU cable and a bit of info on where to find maps.

She’s pretty thirsty! Fuel light is on at 100km (60miles). I’m guessing it’s running exceptionally rich at the moment based on threads with similar questions. Would like to get that sorted out, so I’ll need to setup tune ecu.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Congrats and welcome:clap: be prepared though, these things are highly addictive!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Looks great, enjoy the ride. Looks like you live somewhere sunny lucky you, says I from a cold wet England not been out on bike for weeks but I'm not jealous

·
Registered
58 Posts
Your new TNT

Hi,
My "project" 2006 TNT 1130 should be delivered early next month, an estimated 6 month project rebuild, the bike having been stolen, thrashed, slightly crashed and recovered.Like you, I have had / rebuilt many performance bikes as well as touring machines so looking forward to getting acquainted with the Benelli.
Can anyone on the forum recommend the "best" source of spares, mechanical and body ?
Benelli pickings are a bit thin in Aussie.....in fact I've never seen a Benelli on the road down here !!
Look forward to any comments or advice.
Cheers.
JMB
Western Australia.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey JMB, I’m in WA as well 🙂

Have ordered the ECU cable from Lonelec, now I just need the software.

I’m guessing that the Android version is the only version of TuneECU available these days? If so, I’ll need to get a cheap tablet to run it.

Is anyone running TuneECU on a cheap Android tablet, and can give me some pointers?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Hi Goofy,

There is a free windows. Version of tune ECU .. most of us use that one .
I'm pretty sure it's still available from the tuneecu website.

·
Registered
174 Posts
TuneECU

Hi Goofy, the Windows version of TuneECU is fine for everything except data logging. Only the Android version does that, which is especially useful for checking TPS output, the cause of a lot of 1130 cranky behaviour and owner frustration. I use the Android version to log RPM, TPS% and O2V while riding, then sit in my loungeroom to examine the logs and adjust the TreK maps. That is a lot safer than riding with a tablet and reading the numbers on the road. I use my Android phone for logging and reviewing. I use the Windows version of TuneECU to adjust my maps. Hoping for easier examination of the charts, I bought a 10 inch Android tablet on eBay for $100. The tablet must have OTG capability to work with TuneECU on the Benelli. The eBay offer declared that it was OTG capable. On arrival I found it did not work. To cut a long story short, I managed to get it working using a couple of apps from the Play Store. I am retired and can afford to muck about to save a few bucks. For any working person, who doesn't have time to waste, it would be safer to buy a brand name tablet with guaranteed OTG capability. For the cable, Lonelec is a safe bet, provided international post does not let you down during this pandemic. Alternatively, suitable USB to Serial cables are available from Sydney via eBay for about $21 and I can help you with an adapter if you want. All the best for the Benelli ownership experience!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi,
Can anyone on the forum recommend the "best" source of spares, mechanical and body ?
We get the hard to find parts from Maniac Motors in Germany. While exchange rates and postage make that expensive, Alex and Nicole know their Benelli parts and give excellent service. Some bits can be found on eBay or Aliexpress. Oil filters are Ryco RMZ128, available from Sparesbox.com.au, if not in local auto stores. Maniac Motors site has the spares lists. Manuals and spares lists are also available from the Aussie Benelli Riders FB page if you join the group.

·
Registered
174 Posts
TuneECU datalog & map adjustments

A bit more about the use of Android and Windows versions of TuneECU:
1/. The first attached chart is a TuneECU datalog I recorded with my Android phone on my TreK 1130, during my Friday ride, the week before last. I could feel a slight flat spot at 8% throttle where the O2 Volts were going to 1.09.
2/. Afterwards I used the Windows version to adjust the map, in Graphical view, by a few percent from 3250 - 3750 and load it for last Friday's ride. The second chart is a screen shot showing the revised map compared to the previous version.
3/. The third chart shows is a section of a datalog from last Friday's ride. The O2 sensor feedback is on the target of 1.00 Volts at 8%. The throttle response feels OK now.

The lean spot was caused by me previously trying to eliminate a rich spot, which eventually proved to be caused by an erratic output from my TPS at 8%. I since fitted a Hall Effect TPS that gives a smooth output. I am fine tuning the map to suit.

Some expert is likely to point-out, correctly, that I don't know what I am doing. Regardless of that fact, after replacing the dodgy TPS and fiddling with the map, my bike now behaves far better than it once did and uses a lot less fuel.

I filled the fuel tank, after 316 km, during last Friday's ride. It took 18 litres, for a rate of 5.7 L/100km. About 10% of the distance was in metropolitan traffic. The rest was cruising at the legal limits, 105km on rural roads at 100km/hr and 180 km on the highway at 110 km/hr in fairly windy conditions and air temperature around 30 degrees Celsius. The bike now routinely exceeds 300km per tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Awesome. Thanks @Rick67 for the map, and to Redbaron57 for the comprehensive info.

I've found the windows version for Tune ECU (no longer available on the website, though there is a copy on the R3 forum), just waiting for the F'n cable to arrive! Damn Covid in the UK holding everything up!

Are there any issues running the TNT on a TreK map? I'm torn between trying the one that Rick67 has kindly posted for me, and the TNT601.

I'm due to get the Z25 gear replaced on Saturday, just waiting for this damn cable so I can put a decent map on the thing and ride it. In the mean time I've ordered bar end mirrors, levers, LED headlight globes and a steering damper... I fear that lack of riding may be leading to online shopping.

Also on the hunt for a Termignoni end can off a Ducati 916/996/998 that I can modify and weld to fit the TnT.

Getting there, but I hate waiting.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Hi , I've tried quite a few maps , from the tnt 899 1130 ect..
The tnt 101 is a good one on the trek although you get the same map on both positions of power button.
Some of the maps don't work very well on the trek for various reasons.
Flat spots , poor fueling, cold starts weren't very good ect.
Or you could split and copy the maps between one from the tnt 101 and a good trek map to have the best of both worlds .
Food for thought...
Rick

·
Registered
941 Posts
Hi , I've tried quite a few maps , from the tnt 899 1130 ect..
The tnt 101 is a good one on the trek although you get the same map on both positions of power button.
Some of the maps don't work very well on the trek for various reasons.
Flat spots , poor fueling, cold starts weren't very good ect.
Or you could split and copy the maps between one from the tnt 101 and a good trek map to have the best of both worlds .
Food for thought...
Rick
The Trek uses particularly long inlet trumpets on the 1130, the longest of all , at approx 85 mm
Compare that against the the 1130 160 engine that has the shortest of about 15 mm, little wonder fuelling fluctuates from bike to bike.
I have not played with a 900 Trek/ Tnt, but expect they are the same as the Tornado at 35 or 45 mm.
I play with jap 600 engines and they use variable inlet tracts to smooth out high rpm engines, You need some really good valve springs at 16000 rpm if the pistons are not going to have a chat to the valves. Race GYRT springs are £800 a set.Yamaha have just put the prices even higher for this year.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Had the Z25 replaced today, doesn’t look much different to the old one (Bevelled washer and all)

Unfortunately the bike is now running rough on 2 cylinders and the engine light is on. So she’s staying in the workshop for now 😞

Good news is that Ant (Corse Motorcycles) thinks he can load a map on to it for me, so at least I won’t have to wait for the cable.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
great news Goofy, re z25 and possible map uploading.

running on two could just be down to over fuelled starts time after time ..i think weve all had this problem when we first have these bikes as they love to be used regularly .
engine light may just be a glitch due to fuel pressure or a dodgy connection or even a kink in fuel line if the tank has been off.
im pretty sure your mech will find it .
good news its getting closer to the road !

1 - 20 of 84 Posts