Benelli Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Fingers crossed Rick. I’m hoping it’s just a fouled plug as the bike has been running rich (black smoke on startup, 80-100km per tank)

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Well ****. Fried ECU by the looks of things.

Any idea what could cause this?
Hi Goofy .
Looking back at your first post you said it had the hot start issue ..
I wonder if your starter motor has a similar thing wrong as mine did killing my ECU ..

My problem turned out to be the starter motor brushes had come apart then shorting to ground .

My symptoms were no spark at all and one injector constantly spraying fuel ... But only the day after I had a slow start whilst out riding .

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks again for the information Rick. Seems like faulty earths may be a thing with these bikes. Damn Italian electrics!

I’ll pass on to the tech who’s looking after it, and I think it might be prudent to beef up the earthing.

Hoping I haven’t bought myself a money pit, that’d be a shame.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
ECU ordered from Italy (of course)

I’m hoping that COVID doesn’t hold it up, but figure that it can’t be worse than ordering parts from the Italians in late August/September.

So fingers crossed! Hopefully she’s not another Pandora. At least my wife has let me ride her Duc for the time being.

·
Super Moderator
7,742 Posts
ECU ordered from Italy (of course)
What that cost you and is it new or used?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Benelli 1130 project

Hey Goofy,
Where abouts in WA ?
As soon as Emperor McGowan releases us from this C-19 lockdown I'll head off to Pt Kennedy to pick up the Benelli and trailer it back to Australind.
Running out of work space at the moment so it will have to wait on the trailer until I can get the cb 750 cafe project out of the way and finish the YL2 museum exhibit.
Drop me a line.
Cheers
JMB

·
Registered
11 Posts
Parts

We get the hard to find parts from Maniac Motors in Germany. While exchange rates and postage make that expensive, Alex and Nicole know their Benelli parts and give excellent service. Some bits can be found on eBay or Aliexpress. Oil filters are Ryco RMZ128, available from Sparesbox.com.au, if not in local auto stores. Maniac Motors site has the spares lists. Manuals and spares lists are also available from the Aussie Benelli Riders FB page if you join the group.
Thanks for that, I'll follow it up in the near future.
Cheers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Benelli 1130 project

Hey Goofy,
Where abouts in WA ?
As soon as Emperor McGowan releases us from this C-19 lockdown I'll head off to Pt Kennedy to pick up the Benelli and trailer it back to Australind.
Running out of work space at the moment so it will have to wait on the trailer until I can get the cb 750 cafe project out of the way and finish the YL2 museum exhibit.
Drop me a line.
Cheers
JMB
once the bikes back on the road and I’ve got some spare time, will do :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Well, I got it back this arvo.

hot start is a little better, I think the cable upgrade is next on my list.

It’s riding much better. The snatchiness is greatly reduced, still seems to be running rich though blowing a bit of black smoke. I’m not sure if this is just residual in the exhaust or if it’s something else :/ if it is still running rich then I’m stumped as to what might be causing it.

also, can someone please enlighten me as to what these plugs are?

40FB05A0-4596-4438-9B31-33A0D2812266.jpeg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Well, I just plugged the 2 ends of the smaller plug to it’s female equivalent, fired up the bike.... and it’s running like shit again!

·
Registered
823 Posts
Well, I just plugged the 2 ends of the smaller plug to it’s female equivalent, fired up the bike.... and it’s running like shit again!
The 2 pin is the solenoid for the airbox flaps, if they have been removed you can unbolt the solenoid and just leave it in plugged

Is the other a 3 pin ? can not really see it clearly. If it is, it should be the speed sensor pick up from the back wheel.
neither should affect the bike running, but if it ran ok and then like shit , as you say , leave them off .

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Hi Goofy,
The larger plug under the tank looks like the main diagnostic plug to me.
The other one could possibly be for the exhaust flap. If not for the airbox flaps.

Unplug it to see if the bike runs better.
My money is still on a bad stepper motor and map .
Rick

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The 2 pin is the solenoid for the airbox flaps, if they have been removed you can unbolt the solenoid and just leave it in plugged

Is the other a 3 pin ? can not really see it clearly. If it is, it should be the speed sensor pick up from the back wheel.
neither should affect the bike running, but if it ran ok and then like shit , as you say , leave them off .
I’ll have a closer look tonight, the other one looks like the ECU connection, might be a 3 pin though. Speedo is working fine at the moment.

many idea why the stepper motor being plugged in would fry the ECU?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Hi Goofy,
The larger plug under the tank looks like the main diagnostic plug to me.
The other one could possibly be for the exhaust flap. If not for the airbox flaps.

Unplug it to see if the bike runs better.
My money is still on a bad stepper motor and map .
Rick
Unplugged it, bike still runs like shit. Engine light is on. I think it’s fried the new ECU :(

·
Registered
601 Posts
If it still runs I would not be too worried. Have you got Tuneecu if so plug it in and see if it gives you any clues. As Rick says stepper motors are a pain because they can stick giving an incorrect mixture or poor idling. And mapping is an art to get right

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
If it still runs I would not be too worried. Have you got Tuneecu if so plug it in and see if it gives you any clues. As Rick says stepper motors are a pain because they can stick giving an incorrect mixture or poor idling. And mapping is an art to get right
doesn’t connect :( I think the air box flap solenoid has shorted out the ECU. Pretty sure that’s what has fried both of them.

I’ll ask the tech to have alook at the stepper and reset the TPS though.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Oh bugger. They can sometimes not link to tuneecu and can take a few tries? Have you connected before?
I hope it gets better for you.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I’ll have a closer look tonight, the other one looks like the ECU connection, might be a 3 pin though. Speedo is working fine at the moment.

many idea why the stepper motor being plugged in would fry the ECU?

DSCF1485.JPG DSCF1485.JPG DSCF1486.JPG
These are the diagnostic plugs with and earth lead , three wires together leaving the loom.
you can check if it has done the same damage to you "new " Ecu, lets hope it is not the same , if so you have two blown now.
Only suggestion is there is a short in the solenoid to blow the Ecu.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts