Benelli Forum banner
61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Comments to all,
Thanks for all the learned advice which has been absorbed by my few remaining brain cells.
I have to get this museum display piece ( 1967 Yamaha 2 stroke) finished and out of the shop, hopefully take a week or so, before I have enough additional bench space to comfortably commence pulling the Benelli to pieces.
Will keep the forum up to date with any fast breaking developments.
Cheers

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Big day in the workshop today. We got the new Variohm TPS fitted, as well as the ECU and stepper from @ilijasrb installed. Bench tested everything and all appeared to be going well :)

took her for a test ride, and it stalled about 400m up the road and refused to restart, so I’m suspecting the battery. It’s on charge and we’ll see what Monday brings, but getting closer.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
TPS Reset and recalibrated. New plugs. New starter and earth leads. 601 map loaded. And...

HOLY FUCK DOES IT GO!!!

Tried to tear my arms out a few times. Likes to lift the front wheel, and slide the rear... so I’ll likely have to replace rear tyres a lot more often than fronts.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
I’m really liking this bike. Went out for breakfast with my wife this morning, a nice leisurely river run down to Fremantle.
She still seems to be drinking a lot of fuel though. I’ve just had a shot at changing the idle mixture through Tune ECU. Turned the CO down until the bike started spiting back through the throttle bodies and then went back up until it revved smoothly. The lack of a CO tester meant I had to go by ear. Injectors pulling at 379cc/min at idle. I’m determined to get this bike running perfectly though, so I might need to invest in a CO reader.

I got the stepper and ECU from a member on here, Ilijasrb, and I’m pleased to say that they worked perfectly :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Big day in the workshop today. We got the new Variohm TPS fitted, as well as the ECU and stepper from @ilijasrb installed. Bench tested everything and all appeared to be going well :)

took her for a test ride, and it stalled about 400m up the road and refused to restart, so I’m suspecting the battery. It’s on charge and we’ll see what Monday brings, but getting closer.
I am glad i could help with something in other part of the world.Wish you good road and enjoy the ride :) .

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Well that didn’t work as well as planned.

She’s DRINKING fuel. 16L/100kms (I know this, because it has a 16L tank, and stopped at 100kms)

Tried to lean out the idle adjustment in TuneECU, now it’s a bit lean I think... spitting back through the throttle bodies when warm.

Tomorrow is another day, so I’ll play around with it more then. For now, it’s Moto2, Red Ale and roast lamb (when it’s ready)

·
Registered
853 Posts
If I remember correctly (but I am old and senile) the idle co is just for idle . The global inj correction does everything else but also effects the idle. So you need to do setting idle last.

·
Registered
853 Posts
And yes as Engenia says get yourself a Co meter or afr meter or get a friendly garage to let you use theirs.

·
5,987 Posts
If I remember correctly (but I am old and senile) the idle co is just for idle .
In my experience, the idle CO reaches high enough to affect cruise fuel economy. Certainly for a Walbro ECU, as a mate had his TreK serviced in Sydney and rode it back to Canberra, getting pretty good economy, but was a pig to control until I richened up the idle a tad. Economy went back to normal and it ran better.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Currently looking at either getting a CO meter, or installing an AFR gauge.

In the mean time, I’ll try out a few maps and see if there’s any improvement.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Loaded TNT01AU map. So far so good. No smoke on startup anymore, butt dyno noticed an improvement in midrange response (front wheel also noticed this).

mill report back on fuel economy once I’ve had a chance to take it for a decent ride. It’s raining here this week.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Give it a poke down the Forrest Hwy, it's not raining here in Australind and you can sit on 110 for a couple of hours..

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
We have a semblance of a result.

To start with, CO level was set around 1.2-1.3 on the old map (TNT601 downloaded straight from TuneECU) obviously this was way too high given the amount of juice I was going through at low rev cruising speeds (3-3.5k rpm)

Currently, I have installed TNT01AU on the bike. These are the screenshots of the settings I’m running.

Bike is running nicely now, smooth power through the rev range on both maps, noticeable difference in mid range punch when the button is pushed.

I have an AFR meter on order, but for now, without knowing the AFR, I’m still pretty happy with how she’s running.

We shall see what the fuel economy is like over the next couple of tanks.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts