Benelli Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always yearned after a Tornado and am seriously thinking about buying; I have two in mind. The ideal one is an 03 machine frame no 461, but having followed the forum for a while I think I read somewhere bikes before 475 may be suspect in terms of the clutch basket etc. Is this right? Is there a frame number cut off? If it is true, can someone give me an idea of the costs to do the conversion, as I guess warranty is now way out of order.
Many thanks and hoping to get my dream machine very soon...

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
All the 900 Tornados were made at the same time so they were all fitted with the suspect clutch basket. If you cannot get a definite confirmation that this has been upgraded to at least the 2013 version or later, you will need to allow somewhere around the £600 mark to purchase a new one. Also, allow around £150 for the z25 gear and shaft if you cannot get confirmation that this has been upgraded to the newer version. as this is a must

Reactions: Philoldsmob

·
5,836 Posts
The early 900's had adjustable valve timing sprockets, as fitted in the LE. Mine, #922 doesn't have it, but the first to arrive in Australia definitely did. I have the engine in my workshop.
As far as the clutch basket goes, the '03 clutch originally fitted is not a deal breaker. It is noisier than the '07 but isn't prone to spontaneous failure or destroying the engine if it does. I have a perfectly good '03 clutch basket on the shelf. It's done 50 odd thousand kilometres. Can't remember exactly. I only swapped it out to see if there was any discernible difference. (Only noise)
The alternator drive shaft / Z25 gear is a different matter. It should be upgraded ASAP if not already attended to.
Another thing to be very wary of is the cam chain / adjuster. It is under huge stress from the massive valve springs and there are more than a few instances of the adjuster not doing it's job. The engine above is a case in point. You need to track the adjuster movement to confirm that it is working properly. Easy to do though.

Go into this with your eyes wide open and you'll be rewarded endlessly. There is nothing out there quite like it - although the Britten, with it's underseat radiator and front / rear balance does vaguely come to mind.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much gents; Especially the more comforting remarks about the clutch basket. I notice that in other threads there have been statements about where to get the parts (Bennets?). I have searched using Google for Benelli parts suppliers but have come up short. Do you have contact details for any recommended suppliers?
Sorry to be a pain and a right novice, but as Engenia has said, I want my eyes to be open.
Cheers again.

·
5,836 Posts
Suppliers

Whenever I need genuine Benelli parts, new or used, I talk to Alex at Maniac Motors in Germany.
I've tried dealing with Bennets in the UK, but Alex is more responsive, and has no problems shipping half way around the world.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts