Benelli Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys found this site the other day and it has been a great help to me! I picked up my Benelli Tornado yesterday. Drove 250 miles to get it and rode 330 miles back (detours!) If it hadnt been for this site i woulda worried about the fact it reset the clocks three times and is a pig to get in neutral (turn the engine off and its soooo easy!) I picked it up from the first owner, 11 months old, FSH 1100 miles, it is so good looking ive never seen so many people looking at me (ugly bastard). This included one guy and friend coming out a side road hitting each other and pointing saying what the f**k is that! This bike is great but a few niggles i have are:

1)The indicator and horn are the wrong way round!
2)The clocks reset themselves willy nilly.
3)Neutral is a pig (turn the engine off)
4)Mirrors are fu**ing useless
5)Engine sounds like a bag of bolts (i hear this is normal)

right those are mine only complaints. Small i know.

Now lets get onto the good bits

1)Looks
2)Looks
3)Looks
4)The sound of the exhaust
5)The engine growl
6)suspension
7)Brakes
8)Looks

Anything i should just be keeping an eye out for as i love and cherish this bike. Im a motorcycle instructor/Mechanic but only service use jap bikes as they are very practicle and boring but they do work. I will get the next service at a benelli dealer just to keep the warranty going but i just want to know any tell tale signs i could keep n eye out for thats all.

Oh by the way im in east sussex if anyones around!

Cheers

Ande

PS

The bike NEVER! Missed a beat!

·
Registered
197 Posts
1)The indicator and horn are the wrong way round!
2)The clocks reset themselves willy nilly.
3)Neutral is a pig (turn the engine off)
4)Mirrors are fu**ing useless
5)Engine sounds like a bag of bolts (i hear this is normal)
I dont read anything worrying in that list. ;)

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Welcome to the fold Ande (is that Andy?)

You have nothing to worry about, if you are near Burgess Hill, you have Red Dog on your doorstep, so no worries there at all!

I'm along the road in Hampshire, there are a few owners around in your area and even a rather flash ex-owner just up the road in Maidstone who now rides an MV!

All the things you have mentioned are quite normal and you wil soon get used to them!

Andy

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Welcome onboard

That all sounds pretty much par for the course to me

Except the engine - it should sound loud, but not like there is a ba o bolts kicking around in there !!

Depending where you live, I would suggest taking it for its 1 year service and ask them to check if there are any potential probs with the clutch basket and to check it has the gearbox mod to help find neutral when just rolling to a stop.
Even though the bike is only 11 months old I guess it could hav been sat in a crate for maybe upto a year or so before being sold ?? (so maybe the mods werent done !)

PS - I dont find I have too much of a prob with the mirrors when in a 'normal' riding crouch and not sat bolt upright (I am bout 6ft)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers guys!

Yeah the engine just sounds loud i guess, not like its gonna drop something real soon, im just used to my triumph thruxton thats all. Its an 04 bike as the tenth digits on the chassis are 04. But to be honest the probs i listed arnt really probs more quirks, as for neutral sometimes its easy sometimes its not it doesnt bother me in the slightest, all i know is that everyone and i mean EVERYONE looks at it! The sound makes them look and then the looks draw them in, and like i said ive done 400 miles in 2 days and not a single beat missed! SWEEEEEET!

Oh and its Ande, yes im awkward!

·
1,841 Posts
Hi Ande, yes the engines are all loud ! Im not sure what you have found on this forum, but just to explain..... the tre originally had a drive gear that could fail ! the clutch basket should have been changed for a modified one that has a 8mm wide gear (wider than original). Some bikes got sold without the dealer carrying out the mod. Apparently if it fails it makes a horrible noise and serious engine damage can occur.
I would advise to check with previous owner and the dealer and get written confirmation if they say it was done.
The clutch arm if ally is original, or if steel is the modded one, i believe it alters the ratio on clutch pull. Also make sure the clearance at the lever is set correct 5mm i think,as this will improve neutral finding.
Clocks and mirror see ENGENIAS home page for advice..
They are a good bunch on here,so you should get help with any probs...
I am in gravesend, Lloyd (M.V) and sharky live not far away so we may meet up in future..:ele:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bank holiday= Rain

Cheers for the advice i will be ringing the dealer first thing tomorrow about the clutch! Well its a bank holiday and its raining, looks like im gonna miss May Day down in hastings (upto 20,000 bikes! weather permitting) I cant believe (actually i can) its raining on may day!!!!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts