Benelli Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just saying Hello, picked up an 04 tornado today. I've always liked them and I fancied something a bit less mainstream to go with my Firestorm.
Hopefully I won't be crying too much as I plan to keep it for a while.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Welcome to the forums Max;) A large grin comes as standard when you own one of these bikes and I'm sure you'll love it (not to mention all the attention you'll get) once you get to know all of it's little niggles (like the lack of turning circle:lol ). Was it new or second hand and do you know if all of the mods have been carried out on it yet?
Do yourself a favour and grab one of the carbon fibre tank protectors that Laurence is selling on these forums. Trust me, it won't be long before you notice the very fine marks that get left on the tank where your leathers touches it. You have to look close to see it but you'll spend a lot of time washing and polishing her as you can't help but posing just that little bit for the commoners out there:rollin
Enjoy your stay Max;)

Al

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome aboard Max, any problems and I,m sure you will find an answer here, great bunch and they've all been there an worn the t-shirt between them and more importantly have the answer to most of the little problems that come up.

Al, who said the turning circle was bad, I managed to complete the new offroad section that will be becoming part of the official DSA motorcycle test at their training headquarters last week apart from needing half the paddock to do the figure of 8 on the Tornado there is also a U-turn involved and since they don't give you the space of a 6 lane motorway I decided to do it on a Z 750.

Once again welcome aboard max and if you enjoy the bike half as much as I do then I,ll be enjoying myself twice as much.

Enjoyyyyy!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The dealer I bought it from (used to be a Benelli dealer under the old regime) reckons that its had mods done, I've known him 20 yrs and have no reason to disbelieve him.
Its 2nd hand, the previous owner had done 800 miles on it then part ex'ed it on a new Triumph Sprint (he's 60). She's green and silver and has the carbon Benelli bits on (front mudguard, hugger and a couple of other bits).
The only problem I've had so far is that the clocks have reset themselves once, so I'll have to run another couple of leads similar to a thread I've seen on here.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Max, adding the cables wont fix it. It'll just happen a little less. The problem, is the clocks reset at too high a voltage. I've got the 4th revision of the clocks, and it's almost good enough, but not quite. The first was woeful.

The only way to solve the problem is to make sure that the voltage to the clocks doesn't drop below about 4.5V.
There are 2 ways to do that - either a bigger battery, or, a second tiny one, just for the clocks.

If it really bothers you, I'm working on it, as you probably know, if you've been following this forum for a while. Have a look here. You'll find info on the clocks, the battery cables and some other stuff that might interest you.

Hard to remove the grin from your face though, hey!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've seen your site and it's really helpful, the clocks behaved today. I think it might have been the battery a little low as it started better and everything today. Its got an optimate connector so I'll just keep it well charged and see how it goes.
The bike is great, when you open it up the sound from the air box is just unbelievable, its worth the money just for that sound.
The only thing I'll have to get used to is the lack of low grunt, but thats probably me as I've only ridden twins recently

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Max,

Congratulations on your new purchase and welcome to the 'club'.

If you keep your bike on a battery conditioner when your not using it you probably won't suffer the clock probem half as much. Mines dosen't do it at all when it comes fresh off the Optimate.

Al,
Many thanks for giving the Tank Protectors a 'plug'

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.