Benelli Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, as I was dropping my ST3 off for maintenance I happened to see a Tre-K in the showroom of my local Ducati dealer. It sure is a beautiful machine. I did not get a chance to ride it, but I may take a test ride this weekend.

I have heard the horror stories of parts availability (or lack of), but that is really all I've heard. It seems a few of you here have been riding the Tre-K for at least a few months, what is your impresssion of the bike? I am tall (6'5") and I sat on the bike and it seemed relatively comfortable.

I would have to get rid of my 749 if the right deal were to be had for the Tre-K. I really like the 749, but I'm not a big track guy, so for me it's just commuting to work, or down the coast with some canyon rides mixed in.

Any info some of you owners could provide would be great.

Thanks,

Tony
Carlsbad, CA

·
Registered
25 Posts
Tre-k

My bike has been reliable and here in the UK parts are available.

The bike is very balanced and consequently corners with confidence giving good feedback from both wheels. The gearbox is positive and light in action allowing smooth clutchless upchanges. The stock Dunlop tyres are OK up to 80 mph then become nervous with some linear instability - I have changed to Avon Sport Touring tyres which have eliminated the problem.

The engine has good drive and can be deceptively fast developing power and torque across a wide rev range - so it's a relaxing bike on long distance work but fun and fast if you want to play! The exhaust note is just the right 'side of noisy'

Brakes are OK with the back one possibly over aggressive untill you adjust. All my other bikes have had rubbish rear brakes so it is a new feature for me plus my other bike has servo brakes so I have to adjust. Anyway brakes OK

I am 6 foot 2 inch tall and find the bike comfortable; it's an armchair sportsbike!

The one possible downside is the tankrange at 100miles or so, a bit like your Duke presumably?

The bike has loads of character with good build integrity and finnish. A long testride did the trick for me with no regrets.

·
keeft
70 Posts
Tony,

Your a lucky guy seeing a TreK in the US, only 2 machines are currently here, both are magazine test vehicles. The one you have seen must be the one that was sent for a Cycle World review. The other is still back at Benelli-America as a backup/spares unit. 7 TreK's just arrived into Houston this week, and are clearing customs before going to Benelli-america in TX and then off to dealers who have orders. I think the LUCKY Euro guys who have the chance to actually enjoy trying and even owning the TreK should give you/us potential US owners confidence!!

Keith

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Keith,

You are correct the bike I saw was the Cycle World tester at Moto Forza. I heard about the bikes in TX becoming available soon.

aardvark,

Thanks for the input your comments were very helpfull.

Tony.

·
Super Moderator
7,770 Posts

·
keeft
70 Posts
Well don't delay in posting your thoughts etc, you are a lucky bugger to see and even ride one, I've had my deposit on a Tre-K since Jan 5th 2007, and if I'm lucky the bike will arrive just after Labor-day :ele: , a pisser, but at least the bloody thing is finally here on US soil :doh:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I took the Tre-K for a short test ride (about 14 miles) on Saturday. Here are my thoughts:

The riding position is very upright and comfortable, the wide bars make it feel like a dirt bike.

The suspension was fantastic, this bike was not set up for me, but it was great, it ate up any bumps in the road with ease, once again very comfortable.

The brakes were as good as the brakes on my superbike (749s). Plenty of stopping power.

The bike handled well, but I'm sure it would get way better once I got more familiar with it. When you are sitting so upright it seems a bit awkward to lean too far over, especially with those dual sport tires they had on it. Besides I didn't want to ride too hard and be the one who crashed the only one available to ride in the States.

The motor was a bit disappointing. From a dead stop it pulled very nicely, but once the bike got to around 5k to 6k it was done pulling and wanted an upshift. After speaking with the shop owner they are going to take a look at it (it seems that I was the first person to ride this bike) since he was familiar with the TNT and stated that it pulled hard all the way to redline. Once they figure it out I will be back for another ride. In the mean time I will just have to live with my Ducs...

Hope this is helpful

Tony.

·
keeft
70 Posts
Tony,

Thanks for the prompt report :clap: I can only imagine there are some sort of fueling issues as all other tests talk about the TreK revving out freely, like the TNT. Maybe it needs a remap? or was the power button on "low"?

Anyway, you now rank as the first member of the unwashed masses (general public) in the US to have ridden one, WELL DONE :bow:

·
Registered
123 Posts
The motor was a bit disappointing. From a dead stop it pulled very nicely, but once the bike got to around 5k to 6k it was done pulling and wanted an upshift. After speaking with the shop owner they are going to take a look at it (it seems that I was the first person to ride this bike) since he was familiar with the TNT and stated that it pulled hard all the way to redline. Once they figure it out I will be back for another ride.
Sounds like a fuel map or TPS issue. They should plug the analyzer in and check for error codes, check the TPS and sync the throttle bodies, and then update the map to the latest version. Checking the battery might be a good idea, too. No doubt they will do just that.

Another reason could be related to air flow into the engine, or a loose wire or a hose somewhere. Perhaps someone less experienced with these bikes has removed the tank to reach the spark plugs or the air box and then put everything back on in a hurry, or something like that. There is the airbox snorkel, the 'bat' in the air box, the irritating (to re-install) tank, the hoses and stuff...

Even though not quite as beefy as the TnT, the standard TreK will indeed pull quite eagerly after 5k, which is the 'funny spot' in these 1130cc engines in stock mode. The spot where both of the valves open up and the engine starts pulling harder. You can usually hear that spot as the engine sound and exhaust note get a bit louder.
The symptoms would indicate that this was not happening, at least the way it should, leaving quite a few horses unused under the tank. The usual suspects would indeed be the throttle position sensor and the fuel map/ecu box. Or the wires and plugs going into these, the air box and the throttle body.
Do go for a second ride, because the bike is a nice one, and it does indeed pull nicely from around 3k up to 8k and redline.

·
Registered
256 Posts
power switch

Might sound obvious but there should be a power switch on the left handle bar. According to the test report Laurence added, this power switch does make the bike feel very low powered and the test rider stated that he would never use it except to save fuel due to the severe power drop off.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Might sound obvious but there should be a power switch on the left handle bar. According to the test report Laurence added, this power switch does make the bike feel very low powered and the test rider stated that he would never use it except to save fuel due to the severe power drop off.:rolleyes:
I take it you're referring to the power button under the dash, on the left hand side of the dash? I've been riding a TnT Sport on a chilly and rainy day with a very worn out rear tyre, and under such conditions the power button actually works. Sort of, anyway. It may also be handy trying to save fuel when riding slowly on streets crowded with tin cages.
Anyway, the alternative map seems to affect the lower rpm region mostly. It doesn't seem to do much in the higher rpm range, when you open up the throttle with a heavy wrist. Therefore the ride report in the first message doesn't quite sound like a power button down case to me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well I took the Tre-K for a short test ride (about 14 miles) on Saturday. Here are my thoughts:

The riding position is very upright and comfortable, the wide bars make it feel like a dirt bike.

The suspension was fantastic, this bike was not set up for me, but it was great, it ate up any bumps in the road with ease, once again very comfortable.

The brakes were as good as the brakes on my superbike (749s). Plenty of stopping power.

The bike handled well, but I'm sure it would get way better once I got more familiar with it. When you are sitting so upright it seems a bit awkward to lean too far over, especially with those dual sport tires they had on it. Besides I didn't want to ride too hard and be the one who crashed the only one available to ride in the States.

The motor was a bit disappointing. From a dead stop it pulled very nicely, but once the bike got to around 5k to 6k it was done pulling and wanted an upshift. After speaking with the shop owner they are going to take a look at it (it seems that I was the first person to ride this bike) since he was familiar with the TNT and stated that it pulled hard all the way to redline. Once they figure it out I will be back for another ride. In the mean time I will just have to live with my Ducs...

Hope this is helpful

Tony.
Although the US importers change about as often as I change my underwear the factory trained tech that trouble shoots in the US is the same and he is really good. If you go for it see if he is going to be around for the Long Beach show in December, you could have him breath on your bike. He made great improvments in the performance on my Tre is short order. I'm trying to time my 6,000 mile service for when he is in Phoenix for the Cycle World Motorcycle show in October.:clap:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts