Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
afternoon all,

i must say reading the forum is very funny and obviously half of you guys are mad as a monkey so we should get on well :)

breif history for you, ridden ducati monster s2r for the last 2 years roughly and have recently been getting the itch for a sports/superbike. I had just about made my mind up last week to go for a ducati 848(special deal been offered to me) as the 1098 is a little over the top and as ive been used to the 'sit up and beg' riding position any sports bike riding will be hard work for a few run outs so the easy to handle bike (still with grunt) is what i was opting for as my wrists will ache enough without my arms being pulled out the sockets.

HOWEVER, i saw a benelli tornado in green n silver last week ride past and since then ive been doing as much homework as poss to see what my options are.

Ive found a Tornado 900 2005 model in green with about 3k on the clock but coming up for MOT later this year.

are there any problems i should be looking out for with the tornados? reading back in history i believe fueling may now be sorted but as im no mechanic am i risking it buying a 2005 model for some reason?

also what are they like to live with, obviously you guys seem chuffed with them but are the clutches as light as the reviews say?
will i be ok riding it at 6ft 3"? as im hardly average height and the whole 848 thing came about as the seat is quite high.

also i was mainly going to use the tornado for weekend blasts out in the a&b roads with the possibilty of track days in the future when id got used to it, but am i doing that the wrong way round and will the tornado be too hard work on the roads?

sorry for all the stupid questions but if i can pick a tornado up for half the price i dont want it to cost me loads in maintenance and expensive parts etc

also where do you guys get all your bits from as ebay is dry as a bone for benelli bling, is it aprillia bits to look out for?
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Hi Damon .You shouldn't have a problem with the seat height . As for the parts and bits, Benelli uk has been pritty good .

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
afternoon all,

also where do you guys get all your bits from as ebay is dry as a bone for benelli bling, is it aprillia bits to look out for?
From Laurence of course.
If you haven't read about him , then you certainly will.

Paul

·
ENGLAND FOREVER
1,565 Posts
Welcome

Hi mate, welcome to the wonderful world of benelli, i am 6" 1" and the seat height on my RS is perfect for me, you should fit it perfectly. As for buying a benelli, i would advise you to spend the extra money & go for an RS, i dont want to offend the owners of the Tre(fantastic value for money) but i am sure they would all agree that the RS is more of a complete package. which ever one you choose, i know that you will love it. I have had lots of bikes over the years but nothing compares to my RS. Its fast, handles amazing & sounds like nothing else on the road. Good luck to you:D

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Did I hear someone say BLING !!!!!

Hi Damon and a big WELCOME to the Forum from me too matey.

From your description of what you want from the bike, It sounds like that it will be right up your street my friend.

I'm 6'2" (so a bit bigger than that 'short arse' Lee ;)) and I don't find the riding position too 'focused' either like some other sports bikes I could mention. Where did you hear that they had a 'light clutch' though :confused: :bawl: :confused:

I'm sure that you have read it already of the Forum but you need to make sure that the known upgrades have been done already and It doesn't do any harm if you have a good Benelli Dealer nearby, if you need them. Where are you located about?

As for the bling bit, I do seem to have earned myself a bit of a reputation for finding bits for the Benelli's. I kinda look on it as a bit of a challenge :rolling:

So if you do decide to do yourself a favour and buy the bike please let me know if you are looking for anything. The type of thing that I have been able to supply are :-

Matris Steering Dampers (Yummy!)
Rizoma Brake Fluid Reservoirs (even Yummier!!)
Carbon Fibre Tank Protectors (THE Yummiest!!!)
Robby Moto Rearsets
Rizoma LED Rear Indicators
DNA Air Filters
Brake and Clutch Levers
Exhaust Brackets
Embroidered Patches
Front and Rear Sprockets
Robby Moto Fuel Tank Caps
Pre-Load Adjusters
Cam chains

Oh, and whatever you do, DON'T buy an RS..........'cause they don't come in green and silver :D

·
mid life crisis merchant
897 Posts
Hi Damon and welcome to the gang from me as well mate.
I'm a newbie myself, only joined the forum a week ago but I've had loads of help off (the old guard!!!):bow: :bow: :bow: who certainly know their italian onions.
I have been riding my nelli a green and silver Tre ( which are of course the best and fastest most beautiful machines that benelli have ever produced) 10 months now, I had a bit of trouble with the chain rubbing on the back tyre due to poor tension and the bottom panels were flaking but both were resolved very easily, and once your out on her the constant head turning and pointing will have you hooked
couple that with the handling and throaty grunt from the motor which is pure heroin you will never go jap or for that matter ducati again! I have a 916 which hasn't seen daylight since I got the nelli and I sold a 1999 R1 in £2k worth of fortuna rep colour's and bling to acctually buy her!
since I got her I've covered 8k miles most of it 2 up and it just keep's getting better.
Hope this helps and to 1 day see you out on a run ( one more of us, one less of them!:clap: )

Johnny 1 chance

G

·
Oh, and whatever you do, DON'T buy an RS..........'cause they don't come in green and silver
MR WHITE. . . .

HOW VERY DARE YOU

;) :D :rolleyes: :eek: :clap: :rolling: :bow: :) :ele: :rolling:

SO SORRY HOW RUDE OF ME

HI DAMMON AND WELCOME TO THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF THE BENELLI FORUM
ALL OUR MEMBERS ARE TOP FOLK JUST SOME ARE VERY CONFUSED ABOUT COLOUR ( MR WHITE )

·
5,934 Posts
A big welcome from me as well damon. You'll find this forum is addictive. If you're not out riding your Nelly, you'll be reading about her here.
are there any problems i should be looking out for with the tornados?
YEP. If you haven't found it yet, go to http://www.mso.anu.edu.au/~ekowald
also what are they like to live with, obviously you guys seem chuffed with them but are the clutches as light as the reviews say?
Mate, there's some here who bring them into the living room at night. Mine's too dirty. I ride it a lot.
If you change the clutch to hydraulic, the way I did, it'll be heavy. I would consider the cable setup to be fairly light (by Ducati standards).
will the tornado be too hard work on the roads?
What? It'll be an absolute pleasure!
Doesn't like traveling very slow (roadworks?), and will run around 95C in 60kph traffic & 25C ambient. Cools off at 80kph though.
Not recommended for commuting in Sydney (or London?)
Aprilia? Next thing you'll be putting bar end mirrors on her!
Mate, if the factory can't supply parts in time, people have been known to make them themselves!

One thing's for sure, when you get her, she'll come with a grin that will be plastered all over your face.
You might even be accused of sneaking out to the garage just to take a peek.

·
1,231 Posts
Welcome

Welcome to teh forum mate. You will find that this ole bunch of meatheads are a great gang. Always there to help you if you need it and share a luagh when you don't need help. They are also there to tell you that the only proper color for the Nelli is green/silver!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Your new bike

afternoon all,

i must say reading the forum is very funny and obviously half of you guys are mad as a monkey so we should get on well :)

breif history for you, ridden ducati monster s2r for the last 2 years roughly and have recently been getting the itch for a sports/superbike. I had just about made my mind up last week to go for a ducati 848(special deal been offered to me) as the 1098 is a little over the top and as ive been used to the 'sit up and beg' riding position any sports bike riding will be hard work for a few run outs so the easy to handle bike (still with grunt) is what i was opting for as my wrists will ache enough without my arms being pulled out the sockets.

HOWEVER, i saw a benelli tornado in green n silver last week ride past and since then ive been doing as much homework as poss to see what my options are.

Ive found a Tornado 900 2005 model in green with about 3k on the clock but coming up for MOT later this year.

are there any problems i should be looking out for with the tornados? reading back in history i believe fueling may now be sorted but as im no mechanic am i risking it buying a 2005 model for some reason?

will i be ok riding it at 6ft 3"? as im hardly average height and the whole 848 thing came about as the seat is quite high.

also i was mainly going to use the tornado for weekend blasts out in the a&b roads with the possibilty of track days in the future when id got used to it, but am i doing that the wrong way round and will the tornado be too hard work on the roads?

sorry for all the stupid questions but if i can pick a tornado up for half the price i dont want it to cost me loads in maintenance and expensive parts etc

Hi Damon.

Welcome to the forum.

I had my bike just over a year. I have had the usual niggles, flaking panels, squeaking shock, clocks resetting themselves, replacement clocks!!.Fortunatly all have been resolved eventually. I am the same height as you and apart from a bit of wrist ache when riding at town speeds the bike is reasonably comfortable. My advice would be check the recall/upgrade work has been done. Get some warranty on it (if you are buying from a dealer) and take your cheque book you will not regret it!! Oh and one more thing green ones are faster!!

Regards.

NickPTre900:clap:

·
Registered
513 Posts
Good advice Nick I am 6ft 3 as well and find the bike has plenty of room for me but its a little vibey so I will be getting heavier bar ends to combat this.Also if you find that your temperature gauge (analoge dial water temp) goes off of the clock get it changed for the later revision D which works correctly should cost you labour only.Lastly keep it on a trickle charger low battery power is not for your Nelli causing poor starting clock reseting starter damage...So get the recalls done before you do any real mileage

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Hello mate welcome to the forum... Think most of your questions are already covered. My advice would be to try and get a long test ride, or do a deal whereby you can take it back the same day if any faults show up. The reason being that one of the fairly common faults is intermittent stalling and may not show up until she is properly warmed up. Mine has had this problem and whilst the mighty Russ :bow: has dialled it out to the point where its liveable, its not cured and my research suggests the ones that do it will always do it to some extent. To test for it, just warm it up properly with a good ride, then do some town riding, it generally happens when you pull the clutch in with the revs over 3k, but I have not been able to reliably reproduce it and neither has Russ, so its very hit and miss trying to fix it.

Other than that, despite the niggles I will always have one of these bikes as no other bike comes close. My only wish now is to own an LE one day :clap:

Col

ps: Green and Silver all the way!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Hello and welcome

I'm only 5'8 and I ain't dropped it yet!

If I was 4 feet tall I'd still only ride one bike.

Green and silver of course!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yep .... here's another for the mighty Green / Silver ! :ele:

Don't listen to all the other fools go on about red, yellow etc ... they are just trying to make themselves feel better cus they weren't able to find a Green / Silver model so had to opt for a far slower and lesser model !!!!!!!!! :rolling: Heh! Heh ... cat amongst the pigeons 'n' all that ... c'mon ... bring it on !! :D

Oh! and welcome from me too ..... buy one ... any colour ... I will 100% guarantee you WON'T regret it once ridden .... Ah! ... if only this bloody weather would break I could get out on mine .... Oh! for the great British summer, Eh! :(

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Yep .... here's another for the mighty Green / Silver ! :ele:

Don't listen to all the other fools go on about red, yellow etc ... they are just trying to make themselves feel better cus they weren't able to find a Green / Silver model so had to opt for a far slower and lesser model !!!!!!!!! :rolling:
:rolling: Ha... Ya gotta laugh.. BUT it's so TRUE....:rolling:

Ho... and welcome to the MAD-HOUSE mate.. :D

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Buy that benelli - It'll change your life !!!! Its like strawberries and cream only make that green strawberries with silver cream ! for the proper taste :rolling: . Test ride one and then find a well sorted one and then expect to be mithered by crowds asking all them funny questions.

Tornado Tornado where for art thou Tornado ............... still missing mine ...........russ leave the lights on so i can read it a bedtime story whilst at your workshop ".......and the wicked witch made the nasty ducati break down again...........!!!!

·
1,231 Posts
Nelli for sale

Lloyd is a mechanic at Reddog and he speciallizes in Benellis. He is buying my Limited Edition and he is selling his green/silver tornado with a load of extra bits on it. Give him a shout. At least this way you know you will get one that is fully sorted!!!

I am not sure what his asking price wil be.

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Lloyd is a mechanic at Reddog and he speciallizes in Benellis. He is buying my Limited Edition and he is selling his green/silver tornado with a load of extra bits on it. Give him a shout. At least this way you know you will get one that is fully sorted!!!

I am not sure what his asking price wil be.
I never knew LB had a Tre:D That man has far too much money if you ask me :rolling:

Al (On my way to oblivion ... yeeeeharrrr:p)

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Damon, sorry matey but I completely forgot to say a big hello and an even bigger welcome to the forums. Everybody here is an exceptional bunch of lasses and lads so don't be afraid to ask anything at all. You might get slagged for it but they're harmless really:p Anyone up for a group hug .... NAKED? Thought not:D

Al (Starting to feel very pissed now thanks to Mr Daniels:D)

BTW, just make sure that you set the levers (clutch and brake) just a tad lower than what it's set at at the moment and you'll have no more wrist ache (although a well thumbed Christmas edition of readers wives in 1978 can bring most of that pain right back at ya).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts