Benelli Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks.

I'm thinking of buying a 2004 2nd hand (one owner) 1130 TNT with 1800 miles on the clock (yes, it is genuine!).

I rode the machine yesterday, all seemed ok, except for the unexpected stall when approaching a red traffic light. Is this the same stalling problem that many members are talking about on this forum??

Any pointers as to what i need to be taking a close look at before i buy the bike?

Any help would be appreciated.
:)

·
Super Moderator
7,769 Posts
Is this the same stalling problem that many members are talking about on this forum??
Hi Ricc and welcome to the Forum,

The stalling problem is probably the same as you have read elsewhere. Get your idle revs increased to 1500 rpm and it should help a bit.

Some of the other TNT owners will be along in a bit to provide some other things you should look out for, no doubt. :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
happened to me a couple of times but it shouldn't be an unsolvable problem - check the bike has had 2006 remap and has upgraded Yuasa battery.

Great bike - how much are they asking - try not to pay over £5,000 outside the dealer network .

You'll only regret it if you don't, and I've yet to come across a problem that can't be sorted via this forum!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks.
It's for sale at £5000. But they won't be getting that!!! I'm thinking more along the lines of £4250.(it'll probably end up being £4500)
It's in excellent order and they tell me that it's had the 2006 remap??? I have spoken to Brian at Benelli Uk, who tells me that he has no way of telling if the remap has been done, is this true? How do i tell, because as i said, it did stall on the test ride.

Just waiting to sell my Pegaso Trail then the tnt will be mine, can't wait!! :clap:

·
Registered
263 Posts
let the engine get hot and see when the fans cut in to give you a clue

dead giveaway is keep the bike running despite heat and the headlights will go off to save the electrics, blip the throttle and they will come on.

However by far the easiest way is to chack the service book and contact any dealer who has serviced the bike since 2006, not forgetting that the previous owner is on the V5 - ring him/her up

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ben, Thanks for the info, i'll do what you said. The bike hasn't had a service from new, or at least there's nothing in the service book. The previous owner is ex-directory, which is also very handy!!!
I'll do the hot engine thing and see what the lights do....do you have any idea of how long the bike needs to be runnning for (when the engine is hot with fans on) before the lights will cut out?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Sorry it doesn't seem like an exact science does it!!

Tends to be when bike is hot with stop and start - town driving stuff. You'll notice whether the lights are off at a standstill when you look at the reflection of the lights on the vehicle in front. - There isn't one.

I don't know if there is an easier way to tell, sorry. Fans should come on at 3/4 of the temp guage too.

·
Registered
263 Posts
If it hasn't had a service from new that's 3 years - suggest go to Benelli agent soon even if its for oil and filter - they will have the diagnostic stuff too. My advice - go get service!

What did you manage to pay in the end, I see the dealer I traded mine to has just sold it no bother at £4750 (8,600 miles)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, a good service and any needed recalls will be done as soon as i do the deal. I've just sold my Pegaso so i'll be off to do the deal, hopefully wednesday. As you say, they do fetch around the £5k mark all the time, i've looked at another 04 model with 2300miles on the clock, thats up for £6k, so anything under £5k will be a good buy. can't wait to bring it home:clap: :clap:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh yeah, i'm grinning all the way to the bank, i offered him £4200 and after a bit of a struggle, he accepted (he's had it in the showroom for a year!!)....ha,ha...can't wait to bring her 'ome!!!!:rolling: :rolling:

·
Registered
41 Posts
well done

Nice had mine 2 weeks_ great fun.

It barks and snarls_ it hard to keep neutral throttle it feels like it wants to spit you off ..GREAT!! I love it.

Just bought new gear went 3 x times over my budget! eek!

Got a optimate charger for it _ I heard they dont fair well, its got a new battery also.:) I look forward to some ride outs

mike Hampshire

1 - 11 of 11 Posts