Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Newbie needs advice.....

Hello all.........I'm new to the whole Benelli thing but am about to make the jump early in the new year and am looking at a Tornado with low miles but need a bit of help if you'd oblige fellas. I've been trying to gen-up on all the in and outs of ownership and have been searching the threads for as much info as poss. Also stumbled across Greggy's recent 'To buy' post and we're almost living in parallel worlds but I still have a couple of questions....

Before the Q's a bit of background.....my recent history is that after a teeth-rattling stint on a GSX-R1K I bought a Triumph Speed Triple and loved it apart from the lack of wind protection. I was later going to France on an organised trip and needed said wind protection so chucked it in for a cheap Falco. Just bought it for the trip but when I got back I decided I was keeping it so tweaked it up over the next two years. I bought some Ohlins, OZ's, mille swinger, Gilles etc and took it as far as I could but still wanted the pull and smoothness of a triple (or a big four) again. I'm on a tight budget (£4500 max.) and was looking through the Autotrader website and was amazed to find you can get a 53 or 04 plate Tornado for well under my budget. Never even considered one before as I thought they were crazy money but was also drawn to the fact that they're aren't that many of them about, something I liked about the Falco....as to the price I nearly fell off my chair so have feverishly spent the last few weeks looking around for the right bike.

It sounds like the whole Benelli Tornado experience isn't half as painful as reports and rumour would suggest which gives me heart before I hand over the readies. I can only afford one bike and need to stick to my budget (and LE would be mega but can't stretch to it) so it looks like it's a 'standard' Tornado. I'll be using it for weekend and evening blasts but also the odd longer trip, usually over to the continent. I don't mind the idiosyncrasies (nay, character) of an Italian bike but would prefer to not be dumped at the side of the road on a regular basis. It seems this is a pretty rare thing for the Tornado assuming that all the mods have been done so my Q's are these:

1. Is there a definitive list of all the mods that should have been carried out on the Tornado?
2. Are there any differences between the standard 900 Tornado from when it was launched to the last 900's rolling off the line? (apart from the RS and LE). Looked for a website that gives an accurate run-down of all major spec changes/updates for the model but found nothing. Only thing I found was when MCN stated "The first model Benelli Tornado suffered from a slightly snatchy fuel-injection, but from 2004 onwards the motorcycle is much improved" is this cobblers?
3. Touring - I'll be touring on the Tornado and would appreciate anyone's' input on the comfort of the bike. I had a GSX-R1K K4 which I found pretty uncomfortable on the wrists, is it any worse or better? I put Gilles Variobars on the Falco and they were excellent but from what's been said on here it looks like there's nothing in the way of bar risers for the Tornado except a custom job.
4. Touring - It also looks like there's little, if anything, in the way of fitted luggage for the bike. Anyone know know of anything at all or is it an Oxford job?
5. Speed - what's a comparable bike in terms of the all important low and mid-range pull of the standard Tornado? The GSX-R I had was f****n fast and was often a bit too much but the Falco was reasonably quick, any increase on that would be welcome.

Any help muchos appreciated as I'm a new fish in a new pond and have to start all over again with a new model but i do love a challenge. ;)

Cheers...TN

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
re, making the jump

good to see a new possibly tornado owner,did you know that bennetts have a demo tornado.I think i dont regret it one bit having gone down the mille route etc and really love my tornado ! its got so much character . I'm sure all the people on here should be able to help with mod lists especially those longer served members(i'm reasonably new from august). maybe you could speak to russ at bennetts as he's the guru of nellis plus also talk to kjm who import . I'd like an rs but decided to keep my standard one and get another toy in spring(ktmrc8) as i could never call my tre basic :) . pricewise its all down to mods done and service history but i'm sure you will not find high mileage tornado's advertised as they are kept for special times i think. all bikes ie jap/european can have a problem history and its all down to owners being diligent.i looked to see if baglux did a tank cover but they never did but recently found a tank bag that attached to a ring fixed into the filler cap . hope that you find out all things to help and good luck.ps i rode to magny cours on my sp1 and at speed it was fine but likewise the tornado slow might hurt the wrists(what sports bike doesnt?)

·
Registered
256 Posts
touring

HTML:
3. Touring - I'll be touring on the Tornado and would appreciate anyone's' input on the comfort of the bike. I had a GSX-R1K K4 which I found pretty uncomfortable on the wrists, is it any worse or better? I put Gilles Variobars on the Falco and they were excellent but from what's been said on here it looks like there's nothing in the way of bar risers for the Tornado except a custom job.
Welcome and good luck with your search. Pretty sure you will find a "normal" tornado is anything but, and you will not tire of looking at how special they are:D

Comfort is pretty much an individual thing, but in my experience i is not bad at all. Wrists are a bit heavy in town, but once on the move its a good postion and wind keeps your weight balanced. I have only been a few hundred miles in one go, so not huge and you won't get much further than 140 miles on a tank either. Luggage is limited so I have always used a ruck sack, but obviously of you need more you will have to pick carefully as the most I can get on the back is a small cargo net hooked to itself round the back and to the rear footpeg hangers....and yo have to take the fairing off the pillion seat - but forget pillion as they would not thank you at all:rolling::rolling::rolling:

Basically if you like the bike nothing will be able to put you off as they are amazing...especially that gorgeous sound:ele::ele:

·
5,928 Posts
Hey TN ..
1. Is there a definitive list of all the mods
YES
2. Are there any differences between the standard 900 Tornado from when it was launched to the last 900's rolling off the line?
Engine assembly moved in-house
3. Touring -
5. Speed -
check out http://www.mso.anu.edu.au/~ekowald
You'll find most of the answers to your questions, including mods, reviews, touring etc.
I'll happily ride the 800km from Canberra to Phillip Island in about 8 hours. I find her most comfortable. The tank bulge helps to support your back, and together with the wind, has meant I've never had a problem with sore wrists. There's next to no weight on them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Cheers for the info fellas. Thanks for the link, excellent source of info Engenia.....

Engine assembly moved in-house
So no differences to engine spec other that? Did this move have any bearing on reliability?

I've also downloaded the MCN test report of the LE and in it they state that there was an updated fuel map which Benelli released across the range a few years back. Is this the case and if so has anyone had it installed on their 'standard' Tornado?

recently found a tank bag that attached to a ring fixed into the filler cap
Got a linky??

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Hi TN and a big WELCOME to the Forum.

The latest maps from Benelli for the Tornado are the 6033 for the standard TRE and 6034 if the race can is fitted. For the RS the standard map is the 6103 and for the race can 6105. These all date back to around 2005.

I've tried both the 6033 and 6034 on my standard TRE, and to be honest, I didn't notice much difference at all. :bawl: :eek:

As far as touring is concerned, I took mine over to Europe a couple of years back with a set of Oxford softies on the back. Didn't look too pretty but they served the purpose great.

·
5,928 Posts
So no differences to engine spec other that? Did this move have any bearing on reliability?
As I understand it, the RS engines were built by Benelli. TaxTre will tell you that it's a much better engine than his original 900. Reliability seems to have improved. I believe that the 900 failures are all early engines. Can't tell you which engine numbers began life at Benelli though.
No changes to the specs, other than the necessary recalls.

·
349 Posts
Laurence,What is that thing that is bolted to the left hand rear footrest hanger on your bike.
Oh and by the way TN my Lou Lou loves it on the back of the Tre.She prefers it over the Sprint ST or the TNT.She just holds on to the fan cutouts at the back.
Zebo.:)

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Laurence,What is that thing that is bolted to the left hand rear footrest hanger on your bike.
Well spotted John, It's a Zena Disc lock. I hate carrying these things in my jacket pockets so I made up a bracket for it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The latest maps from Benelli for the Tornado are the 6033 for the standard TRE and 6034 if the race can is fitted. For the RS the standard map is the 6103 and for the race can 6105. These all date back to around 2005.
I guess these maps are installed onto the bikes original FI controller rather than onto a PCIII. I guess this is a dealer only thing then?

As I understand it, the RS engines were built by Benelli. TaxTre will tell you that it's a much better engine than his original 900. Reliability seems to have improved. I believe that the 900 failures are all early engines. Can't tell you which engine numbers began life at Benelli though.
No changes to the specs, other than the necessary recalls.
Is there a definitive list anywhere of engine & chassis numbers and years of production? I'd like to check this info on a potential bike.

·
1,841 Posts
Hi triplenut, yes the maps are on the ecu. The ecu has a sticker on it with the map originally installed.A dealer with the axone computer can load a tune to the ecu. Also there is software and cable available that can do what axone does plus a bit more (TuneBoy).
The frame no should read some thing like this ZBNTB00024P100000
The 10th digit is the year of manufacture,ie 2004 in this case.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info fellas, very useful. I'm a bit a rabbit-in-the-headlights at the mo, there's shed loads to take in...anyway, I've got a few more Q's if you'd oblige.

I've noticed in a few threads comments such as 'glad I got an '05 bike' and 'hope you get a good one' and they've got me nervous. Is it just luck of the draw whether you get a good and reliable standard 900 Tornado or are there any tell-tale signs I should look out for? or is there a year of bike I should go for, my limited budget notwithstanding?

I'm also undecided on colour. I like the silver and green version but have always had black bikes and like the look of the silver and black version. I've seen one advertised but the piccy isn't too great so does anyone have a piccies of one in these colours to help make my mind up? (I can't get into the members gallery). It's also a 53 plate, is this too early a bike to go for?

·
1,841 Posts
Hi again triplenut, Basically the early tre had a clutch with a problem,Benelli made new modded clutches,but some bikes may be in circulation with the original clutch. I believe KJM check and fit modded clutch to any bikes supplied new now.The rs was produced later and was not affected. There was also updated clocks and a couple of other minor things. The clutch if it fails can cause major engine damage,so confirmation or checking of this is the most important thing to consider (in my opinion).

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
hi,is the 53 plate one the bike that glasgow ? .i noticed ducati glasgow are selling a 53 plate for £4295 . and i also know that west coast superbikes in irvine are selling a 55 plate (i think) for a bit more. ive put a pic of the black/silver look and think they are quite a stunning look in the flesh .the one in irvine had also crash bobbins and a cut down plate hanger if i remember right and must say the shop used to get stick for aftersales when dealing in suzuki's but now are a mv agusta franchise so have thrown themselves in the deep end !. good luck and any mods done will be amongst paperwork i think,mine are all listed down on a couple of service receipts. have you seen the 1130 in its black/silver colours now that gets me going ;) with its red air scoop edges . good luck. now just a thought for the cheeky moment if you end up with a silver/black one i have a set of brand newtwo piece leathers made for those exact colours of tornado and at a bargain price just depends your size !! :D . i think this marque growing and growing yipppeeee:)

·
150 Posts
nelli colour

Thanks for the info fellas, very useful. I'm a bit a rabbit-in-the-headlights at the mo, there's shed loads to take in...anyway, I've got a few more Q's if you'd oblige.

I've noticed in a few threads comments such as 'glad I got an '05 bike' and 'hope you get a good one' and they've got me nervous. Is it just luck of the draw whether you get a good and reliable standard 900 Tornado or are there any tell-tale signs I should look out for? or is there a year of bike I should go for, my limited budget notwithstanding?

I'm also undecided on colour. I like the silver and green version but have always had black bikes and like the look of the silver and black version. I've seen one advertised but the piccy isn't too great so does anyone have a piccies of one in these colours to help make my mind up? (I can't get into the members gallery). It's also a 53 plate, is this too early a bike to go for?

When I firts time at 2005 see the nelli here in Finland, it was green and silver.
I go to the net and found there is red and blacks too.
I like to have red, but it was impossible at that time :(

After looking my green/silver now over 2 years, I'm glad. Its much more better looking bike than anything I have ever seen. Go on to green/silver. It's stunning look and wery fast (fastest benelli) ever made.

W: Pekka

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
the early tre had a clutch with a problem,Benelli made new modded clutches,but some bikes may be in circulation with the original clutch.
Is still a recall/warranty issue? I want to cover my ass so that if I get a bike without the mod someone like KJM or Bennetts would sort it FOC?

hi,is the 53 plate one the bike that glasgow ? .i noticed ducati glasgow are selling a 53 plate for £4295
Aye, that's the fella, spotted it in the trader. Picture's a bit crap though so I was looking for some decent pics of the silver/black one......anyone out there got any?........or is it sacrilege to NOT get a silver/green one? :confused:

·
1,841 Posts
Is still a recall/warranty issue? I want to cover my ass so that if I get a bike without the mod someone like KJM or Bennetts would sort it FOC
?
Not sure it was ever a RECALL as such, new clutch`s were available to dealers,but they may not have fitted them. kjm were not the importers at the begining, if the bike is out of warranty they may not supply foc.
Personally, I would want to have a look inside even if told it was done, there are a lot of billyliars out there.:(

·
5,928 Posts
I would want to have a look inside even if told it was done...
ME TOO.
I wouldn't trust anyone's word on this (unless it was still under warranty of course.)
Believe it or not, it's fairly easy to check in an afternoon. The middle gear is stamped with a 'J' & it's 8mm wide (original was 6)

1 - 20 of 80 Posts