Benelli Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a big hello to all

planning on buying a tre 903 next year.not new but between 03..to..06.what I want to know is this .I've notice theres a few issues regarding clocks etc. 1 st of what exactly clock? speedo,trip ... overheating? stalling,difficulty in getting neutral.is this on bigger nellies or does this apply to all inc tre 903. I don't want to buy a bike that will spend most of it time in the garage like the Ducati.so if you gents 'n' ladies will please just clarify what to expect..like on going problems.your thoughts will be much appreciated thanks .John

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Hi John. I recently took the plunge myself so have gone through all the same worries recently! So, heres what I know:

Clocks - Almost all reset at some point due to voltage drop when starting up. General consensus is that rev D is more reliable as it requires a lower voltage. Rev A also had other problems such as temp showing high when it isnt. Mines rev A and I have had both problems. Waiting for some new ones to be fitted but its not a big issue - too busy having fun to worry about time anyway :rolling:

Mods - Some potentially fatal problems with early bikes so its important to make sure the mods are done to the clutch basket and actuator lever, else she might go pop! Early bikes also had probs with flaky paint on the lower fairing panels so make sure it has the new ones. Theres a switch in the airbox which also should have been moved to avoid the bike cutting out.

Stalling - My only real major gripe with mine to be honest - Engine seems to "catch" when slowing to a stop, usually when changing down from 2nd. Occasionally this results in the bike stalling, which is VERY annoying round town. Again, something that some seem to have no problems with. Latest maps cured it for some people but not mine has the right map and still does it. Increasing the idle also helps apparently so I will be asking for that next (only possible via tuneboy or similar). You can adjust your riding to account for it but I havent managed to eliminate it completely. Best advice would be test ride one and make sure you do some town riding as it should become apparent round town. Not an issue when blatting round country lanes where its most at home ;-)

Neutral - No getting away from this one. ALL bikes including the new ones apparently have the problem. Basically means forget about selecting neutral at a standstill with the engine running. You get used to doing it as you slow to a stop. Not a biggie.

Thats all the main points as far as I am aware. All this aside, I have owned the bike for about a month now and have not regretted it. Nothing else sounds as good or gets as much attention. For the money, you cant beat it imho. Dealer backup is an issue, so would recommend asking around on here if you are considering a particular dealer. Bennets in Barnsley is where I got mine on recommendation from these guys and that was a good decision - 110 mile trip for me but its worth it for peace of mind.

Good luck with your purchase!

Borat

·
1,841 Posts
Rs ? !

John, consider the RS model ! (as I have)
The clutch on the RS was always the upgraded type.
The finding neutral fault also does not happen. Mind you Lloyds tre was fine when I rode it, so the fault is not on all bikes.
I have no stalling on my RS, then again Lloyds tre did not stall as far as I remember.
My clocks always work, I dont think RS have reset fault ?
Also the RS has radial brakes, OZ or Marchenesi ( is that spelt wrong?) forged wheels,more power, more torque,50mm marzocchi forks, higher spec rear damper, more carbon bits, proper oil cooler, etc etc..............
You cant get one in GREEN though !

·
Registered
19 Posts
well i think Colin and Borat have covered everything. Only thing i will add is i have a standard tornado and i dont have The temperature problem but i do have flaking paint! Lucky for me i have My own Spray room. At the and of the day they are not as fragile as a Ducati and they look better!

Take the plunge its worth it.:) :) :) :)

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Welcome aboard

If you are going to buy from a dealer then KJM or Bennetts must be the favourites (for knowledge and back up and service)

If buying private then make sure you know where its been serviced then call the relevant dealer (with a bit of luck it will be KJM or Bennetts - fingers crossed !!)

Good luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for thr replies.I live in Teesside(north east)stockton. the nearest dealer are in Newcastle.
they sell all kind of bikes inc new Benelli's,MV Agustas,Ducati and all Jap bikes.
they are one of the biggest dealers around here.so I would've thought that they will know a thing or two about these bikes.I have 2 bikes at the moment 1,Yamaha Fazer 600 had it from new,2, an old restored(did it myself) suzuki T500 and its better than new.The Suzuki is the one that I'm going to sell to help towards the new bike. I'll test ride one before I buy .I don't want buy it only to find that I can't ride it (its the age thing) I'm 57 this year.I'll keep ya posted on any progress.cheerio for now. John

·
Super Moderator
7,769 Posts
Friggin' hell John, your older than me!!!!

Please, Please buy the bike as I'm fed up being the oldest Benelli owner on this Forum. :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Your only as old as the lass your feeling Laurence! lol, BUY THE BIKE IT'S AMAZIN hehehe. Need to ask you amazin people some advice while i'm here. I've taken the tank off my tre so i can clean out the airbox and air sensor thingy as engenia advised. Only problem is, on putting her back together i noticed two small pipes that act as some sort of over flow as they run towards the swing arm then stop. The only place they seem to fit is on what looks like two bleed nipples on the bottom of the tank! is this correct and if so what are they for? Some sort of water trap? please help as we may get some sun tomorrow and i'm in desperate need of a blast. Thanks guys

·
Super Moderator
7,769 Posts
Hi Wee man,

I appreciate the ageist comment.........must tell the wife that one:)

The two pipes are indeed overflow pipes that drain away any spilled or overfilled petrol.

Connect them up to the two outlets underneath the tank that look like bleed nipples as you say but remember and position the spring clips to hold each pipe on securely. We don't want to have surplus petrol hanging about on top of a hot engine now, do we. :)

The spring clips have probably slid down the pipes with a bit of luck when you disconnected the tank.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts