Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI all :bow:

Bit of a problum
Went out to start the nelli and the battery was well down. its not run for a long time and its been bloody clod here. :cool:
Turned the key on, kill switch in the run position and NO DISPLAY OR CLOCK MOVEMENT.. :eek:
Out with the jump leads and she fired more or less straight up but still no display.. :eek:
Battery off and on to the optimiser and it reads down but recoverable. :clap:

Is it just going to be the battery low or have i got a issue :confused:

·
1,231 Posts
POny

On the back of your dash there is a large black plug connector. Unplug that and reseat it. It may have wiggled a bit loose. That happened to me once and it reset perfectly never to happen again. I had to take out the screen to get to the plug. You may be able to get to it from underneath.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jr

Thanks friend.
I'll charge the battery for a day or 2 then investigate the back of the clocks as per your instructions. The way my luck is running its not going to be that simple. Think abit of robfm's luck has come my way. :doh:

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jeeeesus Simon, if thats Luck I've been having then I'd hate to see me get some Bad Luck !

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
When you get some good luck please feel free to send some my way. :rolling:

Any news on ya shock prob/fix

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
:hiya: everyone
I have a prob.. :( .(no not that 1, the cream has sorted that)

Battery back on, charged. Electrical plugs checked. Still no clocks and dials.. :eek: :bawl:

BUGGER :mad:

HELP:(

·
5,928 Posts
...Battery back on, charged. Electrical plugs checked. Still no clocks and dials.
Need to get a little more technical now.
On page 319 of the workshop manual, you'll find a diagram of the cable end plug. The numbers on that diagram correspond to the numbers on the table below, NOT to the connector pin numbers marked on the connector! The Green / White wire (#1) is actually pin 20, and the red wire (#2) is actually pin 19.

Do you have power available at the dash plug - Pin 19 - a red wire ?
- should have +12V permanently connected, regardless of the switch position.

If SO -

Do you have power at Pin 20 - a Green / white wire - from the Main Switch - when the ignition is ON ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:hiya: Errol

Many thanks for your help

Went out to the garage today and started nrlli. still no clocks.. Bugger
They light up but no display or temp/rev counter

Left it running to warm up for a short time and when i came back they were working fine :clap: :D

Turned it off then restarted it again and,,,,, bugger and other swear words, No clocks again.
So with this in mind should i be looking at something else before i start to strip the fairings/screen so i can get to the plugs on the rear of my clocks. I can get my hand round the back and have tried wiggling the plug but nothing happened.
:doh:

·
5,928 Posts
Sounds like a dodgy connection, but that could be anywhere.

Wiggling the connector isn't enough. You need to remove it & re-seat it. That will wipe the oxides off the contacts.

If that doesn't do the trick, check the voltages, as per my earlier post.

·
1,231 Posts
Plugs

I had to completely unplug mine and then plug them back in. I don't know if the few minutes off power allowed some type of cache to clear in its memory or what but it worked. Same exact syptoms as you had mate.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wa hay

Hi friends :hiya:

Went out to the garage today armed with a fully charged battery and connected it up AFTER a quick rub with sum sand paper on the terminals and battery connections. As soon as i put both leads on the display sprang into life for 1 sec then went off. :eek: Turned the key on, depressed the kill switch and all is well.. Everthing worked, started up as usual and the clocks were fine. Ran it for a while then turned off. Repeated this several times over a few hours and the clocks and display worked every time. :D
So the only thing i can think is that 1 of the 2 earth leads was not making a good enough contact. All seems well now tho, I will try it again tomorrow to make sure though.
Down side is that there does not seem to be any work for the taking and Beni may well have to go to make sure the morgage gets paid... Bugger :mad:

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Cor i'm very sad to hear all thats happenings at Hollinshead towers simon :( ,i've not stopped asking all i know and even ringing round to other transport companies. i know you said agencies have been looked at and have you tried stobarts at all .bases everywhere and if need be i'll find there nearest distribution centre or even irlams as they have one off the M6 down newcastle under lyme way . keep your chin up and maybe a car can go first ?(not the nelli !!). let us know and i can be got on my new number on 07500877024 if you need a independant reference . ps i'll keep on trying between me and you.pps on a good note clocks appear to be up and running which i'm glad .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ta friend. I owe you a million for your efforts you are a star..

I can always buy another nelli in time if it has to go. Quite fancy a Tre K as a replacement.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Started Beni up again today and all is well with the clocks so must have been the - battery connections.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm sure thats all it was matey.... But you never know.. i'll try it again in a few days after this cold snap and see wot happens..

·
5,928 Posts
..Went out to the garage today and started nelli. still no clocks.. Bugger...Turned it off then restarted it again and,,,,, bugger and other swear words, No clocks again.
Simon, I'm thinking, that if the fault was dirty battery connections, you wouldn't have been able to start it. The voltage drop would have been MUCH larger during cranking, than what you'd have for normal clock current.
But I've been surprised before, so perhaps this is another of those times.
The good news is, the fault appears to have gone away. Let's hope it stays on holiday.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Errol
There are 2 -battery leads. I presume 1 comes from the starter. Wot about the other. Maybe if the 1 that doesnot come back from the starter was not making a connection do you think that could have caused the problem. I did put them back on the other way round to wot they originally came off...

I THINK :confused:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts