Benelli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to start the trend. Went okay a week ago.
All lights on dash, turns over fine but nothing firing. Pulled apart, cleaned plugs, checked all connections and fuses. Put back together, couple of backfires then back to where I started. No go. Any ideas people

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Hi .
Try clearing the stepper motor and all other connections that feed the firing circuits .. crank sensor .TPS (reset if needed) . Injectors. Clutch switch. Sidestand switch.fuel pump ect . First.
Check all three injectors are spraying into the intakes whilst cranking . Possibly a clogged fuel filter if no spray .
It could just be a sticky stepper motor flooding the plugs .

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, should have added that bike stopped while idling. Then would not go upon restart, or since.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't have the tuning device I'm afraid. Backfire would presume excess fuel being ejected. I'll next check neutral switch and stand switch.

·
Member - Avatar by MDIB
199 Posts
Don't have the tuning device I'm afraid. Backfire would presume excess fuel being ejected. I'll next check neutral switch and stand switch.
Try changing the plugs, same thing happened to me burnt out the plugs for some reason. Did it happen after not being ridden for a while.
Mine did that a few times after not using it for a month or two, now I have changed the plugs and use fuel stabiliser if not riding for a couple of weeks or so as suggested by another forum member and seems to have sorted the issue.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers I guess I'll have to try again. I was hoping not to pull it to bits again. Think I'll leave it for awhile. Thanks for that.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Cheers I guess I'll have to try again. I was hoping not to pull it to bits again. Think I'll leave it for awhile. Thanks for that.
Yep, get a set of plugs
Pull it apart and get the old ones out, spin the bike up with the old plugs connected and see if they are actually sparking.
Do the same with the new set and see if the spark is on all three. you may well see the spark is stronger (thats if the old plugs did spark)
Fuel , air, spark and compression, that is all you need,

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have got new plugs and will fit next week. Seriously do they fail that quickly? Bike has only been statted and run up to temp 5 times on a new set.

·
Member - Avatar by MDIB
199 Posts
Have got new plugs and will fit next week. Seriously do they fail that quickly? Bike has only been statted and run up to temp 5 times on a new set.
My experience is they only fail if the bike hasn’t been ridden for a while. It has happened 3 times to me, the last time was about 4 months ago so I just install new plugs and off we go, however apparently if you use fuel stabiliser additive when the bike is idle for long periods say over two weeks, it solves the problem. I have been doing that lately and haven’t ridden it for a few weeks now (COVID lockdown) so this hiatus should be telling. I wonder though if it happens over time as the plugs wear because they have always failed after at least a year or so. It’s a massive pain to change the plugs but not very exy if you can do it yourself.

·
Registered
602 Posts
No they should last longer than that. Is there anyone near you with tuneecu or a bit of Benelli knowledge?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No on the experience of the Benelli. Not here in New Zealand. Had the problem with other bikes too but they're so much easier to get at. The removal of the air ducts which means side and top fairings is just time consuming. I can do it all myself but its damned annoying. I guess that's the fun of Italian bikes isn't it?
Thanks for all the help. This forum is always the most informative compared with the other ones I subscribe to.

·
Registered
602 Posts
It would be worth exploring getting tuneecu the windows version is free and you need some cables which you could make yourself if you have a 9way serial on your computer. But if you have usb an adaptor will be required. It really helps seeing if TPS or other things are working. And you could even get Alex at maniac to do work remotely.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So changed plugs and have spark. Removed fuel pump, injectors etc. Cleaned all parts. Rusty looking in injector tube and found some deposit. Also attached pic of clips that fell out of fuel pump. Maybe some of the deposits. How critical are they to pump performance. And how do I clean injectors. Fires and runs on fuel down throttle bodies but not from tank. Will any other crap in injectors finally pump through if I keep trying with fuel down the throats?

Attachments

·
5,801 Posts
That's some serious shit you've got in that tank, and the broken clips don't bode well.
You need to
  1. remove your injectors and get them flow tested / cleaned
  2. remove the fuel pump assembly
  3. replace the broken clips
  4. replace the fuel filter
  5. clean the tank
  6. check that the fuel pump can achieve 3.5 Bar
  7. check the two drain pipes in the tank. They are probably blocked. With a blocked filler drain, when it rains, water will gather in the fuel filler cavity, and fall into the tank when the filler is opened. Expect to see something like this -
201907071535.Jane.Tank.Filler.Cavity.Drain.JPG

(ps. you also need to work out how to post smaller pictures)

·
Super Moderator
7,744 Posts
(ps. you also need to work out how to post smaller pictures)
:rolling::rolling::rolling:

Reactions: ron d
1 - 20 of 76 Posts