Benelli Forum banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Once you get the issues sorted, its not an ongoing maintenance problem anymore. Only way to avoid these issues is riding a jap bike, and you surely don`t want that? :)

·
5,837 Posts
... not one which has ongoing maintenance problems like the Benelli.
I've got 140,000 km on mine and I can't think of one "on-going maintenance problem". Not that she can't develop problems, but I don't know of a machine that doesn't. I don't care where it's made, or who makes it. They all wear out or have foibles :-
  1. My gixxer 750 seized it's clutch while sitting doing nothing for a few months, and it's front calipers drag a few months after replacing the seals.
  2. My VF750 would boil on a warmish day, was prone to shaking it's head and ended up throwing me down the road.
  3. My first bike, a GS750, would stall if you gave it a fist full.
  4. My RXV550 is a pain to start hot.
  5. My TR650 has a great engine, but BMW built it with a leaking air box - of all things to get wrong on a dirt bike!
Considering the size of the factory, Benelli did pretty well with the Tornado Tre.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Thanks for all the encouragement. But I have 9 bikes so attending to one that seems to be a bit naughty whenever its left alone like a demanding child is not fitting my lifestyle.Yes Finnelli I have jap bikes too as well as 2 Ducatis. Seriously my 99 R1 will run rings around Nelli for comfort, handing and general rideabilty. BUT NOT AS BEAUTIFUL as the Benelli. To get the air box off to change the plugs is a long winded process, The best thing I have done is to put the fuel line quick release in. No messing with the factory attachment. Click, done. Magic. Someone needs to do something with the air ducts so they dont have to be removed. Maybe cut them and build an in situ sleeve. Anything to make life easier.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I didn`t read the jap bike part, but having two Ducati`s is a bonus whenever the Nelli is down :)

I had an 98 and 99 R1 as well, but it was 15 years ago, great bikes back then. I drove my 99 model for 3760 km in five days on an euro trip, then it snapped a rod, whistling down the autobahn at indicated 275km/h.....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Yes that's Yamaha for you. Sold FJ1200 years ago, (20+) with over 200ks, still being ridden by the same buyer. Bit rougher but never been touched motor wise.

·
5,837 Posts
You need to be a programmer.
If you want to add one to a number the code in almost any language is
N = N +1;
This also happens to be the answer to the age old question, "how many bikes do you need?"

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Sorry, dont agree. The real life equation is: " how many bikes do I want?. How many bikes can I afford?" Even that doesn't matter because we're all programmed to be "Responsible ". Have as many as makes you happy or unhappy or any other emotion you wish. As you know you CANNOT TAKE THEM WITH YOU! You've reminded me. Benelli will be sold and I'll buy a couple more😃😃😃

81 - 91 of 91 Posts